1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assistance please: one DVD-9 to two DVD-5

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by smokeatr5, Dec 4, 2004.

1. smokeatr5

smokeatr5 Member

I tried an inquiry earlier to which no one replied. That was my first post, which was a little dissappointing to not get ANY response, so here goes again.
    How simple is it to split a movie (>5 gig) from a DVD-9 and burn to 2 DVD-5, without compressing the movie.

I would APPRECIATE GREATLY someone instilling this VERY new member with some direction/advice.

I have burned 8 Ritek 8x G03 on my new NEC 3500A with perfect results so far, Based ENTIRELY on information from this site.

Thank you,
    smokeatr5

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi smokeatr5,
    Sorry that you didn't get a reply, splitting a disc is pretty easy, there is even a guide for it in our guides section I believe.

About the easiest way to do this is to use Shrink and re-author the disc. You use the Start/End Chapter select feature to select the first half of the movie, rip this and burn it. Then do it again, this time selecting the second half of the chapters. Rip and burn this to your second disc. One movie, two discs!!
    Cheers,
    Frank

3. zippyd

zippyd Active member

fasfrank,
    Don't be sorry! He didn't even wait a full 24hours before he decided to break the rules and double post.

smokeatr5,
    I don't know if you have any experience in dealing with forums, but you have to learn to be a little more patient. People come here on their free time and offer their knowledge to others. The person with knowledge about your particular question will eventually show up.

4. smokeatr5

smokeatr5 Member

Hello fasfrank, thanks for the tip. That does seem a little easier than I was expecting! (I knew it wasn't going to be too difficult)
    ...zippyd, I guess with 21hrs, approx. 39 threads including 230 posts between my original & second thread started, I was a little impatient as a new guy.
    This is actually my first time dealing with a forum, other than just reading. I will endeavor to be more patient in the future.
    Thank you for your patience with a new member.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

smokeatr5,

Since the other thread has been closed i will repost again here.

You must remember no one gets paid to do this, we do this in our spare time, but someone will get to you sooner or later. Double posting wastes everyone's time including yours.

Now, that being said, there are many apps that will do what you want including Frank's suggestion using shrink in re-author mode, since it's free I won't go into others.

I have an alternative solution, how would you like to have your movie no matter what it's length on one disc with no appreciable loss in quality even at 300% magnification? This app also only requires one click to start it and that's it. When it's finished you burn to disc using any app with a burn engine(Nero, etc.)

The app is Dvd Rebuilder and CCE basic. The setup is a little complicated, but there is Vurbal's guide that breaks it down and gives you the links for all the components you need for setup. All components are free except for CCE Basic which costs 58.00. Do not use the trial version, it sucks and everyone that has tried it has mega problems, so you have to trust us on this and buy CCE basic, sorry. I can promise you, you will not be disappointed.

Read the threads, not one person(and I mean NOT ONE!) who has used it will disagree, it's quality is superior to any app out there, period. When is the last time you saw any app that has that kind of endorsement?

If you are interested let me know and I will be glad to help you with setup. As I said before it can be a little daunting for someone not used to doing DVD work, but once it's done, and you only have to do it once, you hit transcode and wait til finished.

It's only drawback is it takes about 4 hours, so most of us do it at nite before we go to bed and when we get up in the morning it's finished. Then it takes 15 minutes to burn. I have done movies (including all the LOTR's) with over 50% compression and you can't tell the difference between that and the original. And that was using a side by side comparison on a 57" HDTV at 300% magnification.

Go here and browse thru the first two top threads on the page, "Difficulty using RB/CCE" and "Which transcoding tools produce the best quality". There is a ton of info in both on RB/CCE.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/78

BTW, in the 1st thread you will see 90% of the problems people had were in trying to use trial versions of CCE SP or CCE Basic. As I said if you or anyone else for that matter is interested I will be more than happy to help you set it up.

Good luck :>)

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Uh oh. Big O's here so I might shut this one down :p

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hmmm....maybe a new name would help. Anonymity might be my only salvation, LOL.

9. smokeatr5

smokeatr5 Member

Thanks for the feedback.
    Big Orange, I have just started working with backing up my videos and am VERY new to Decrypt/Shrink/Nero. I think I will work on the other videos that aren't as large as LOTR, and get more proficient with the whole burning deal before I attempt new software. (I will keep this post for future reference!)

Thanks again for the assistance. I look forward to the vast wealth of knowledge from the people on this site!

smokeatr5

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

No problem, as I said, it looks much more complicated than it is. If you need any help with those other software just ask. It would be wise to use smaller movies until you get the hang of it and by then you might be ready to try RB/CCE on the really long movies.