1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avi to Mpeg2 or Mpeg 4

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Buligwyf, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Buligwyf

Buligwyf Member

Being fresh at the business I suppose this question isn´t too bright. Will Avi encoded to mpeg4 play on a standalone DVD player in the same way mpeg2 does? Thanks,B

2. macman123

macman123 Regular member

if you are trying to get mpeg4 files onto a dvd then you need to convert it to mpeg2 format.

3. nepgunes

nepgunes Member

macman, so if i dl an .avi movie from the net.. what do i have to convert it to in order to burn it onto a dvd-r? an mpeg2?
    I have a program called ffmpegX that can convert any file into many other files. Just wondering if u know exactly what to do in order to burn dl'ed movies to DVD.

4. macman123

macman123 Regular member

it may sound a little hard but it isn't. if u dl an avi and need 2 put it 2 dvd this it what i do.

1. start up ffmpegx, drop the avi and select dvd ffmpeg. encode.
    2. then with the same avi, select movie audio to ac3 and encode that.
    3. when all is converted you will have 2 files. one will end in .mpv and the other will end in .ac3.
    4. know that you have the files, u need to open up another program called Sizzle.
    5. in sizzle click on add title and then go to audio and click the the + simbol and find the audio file that you converted.
    6. if it is a lond movie and you want to add chapters the go to chapters and put in the n umber you want and how long it should be. NOTE : that has nothing to do with getting it on dvd, it is just a good thing to know.
    7. when you have it all set click on save disc image and wait till in gets the image on your desktop.
    8. start up the image and drag the audio_ts and video_ts folders to the desktop.
    9. when it is all copied, open your VLC player and open all of the vobs in it.
    10. you will see the ones that have your movie and some that look like DVD menues.
    11. exit out and open up the video_ts folder. in it delete the vobs that have the menu or the ones that are KB in size.
    12. then open up dvd2onex and select the video_ts folder, let it run through and don't mess with the settings.
    13. now you will have the new video_ts folder that you ran with dvd2onex. with that one you can watch it on apples dvd player and make sure that it plays through and you have the right movie.
    14. now open up toast and burn it the movie. you are done.

( by the way this was a way that i can up with, not from some other thread. u will see that a lot of other people have had problems by just doing it with ffmpegx, but when i have done it this way i have never had a problem. PLEASE tell me if u have a problem and i will try to help)

5. Buligwyf

Buligwyf Member

Thank you Macman. I will have a go at it and let you know how it turned out. B

6. macman123

macman123 Regular member

GOOD LUCK !!!!!

7. SilentMac

SilentMac Member

Hi macman ... thank you very much!!!

Is it also possible to insert subtitles?

greetings
    Silent Mac

8. macman123

macman123 Regular member

it is possible, but i dod't know the software or how to make subtitles. please help if you can.

9. SilentMac

SilentMac Member

You can find subtitles by using google ... they are saved in .srt
    I have some, but do not know how to mix with the movie.

Greetings
    Silent Mac

ps: what's your native language?

10. macman123

macman123 Regular member

so google it by searching for a list of subritles , or search for individual ones?

ps my native tounge is englesh, but can't spell that good.

11. SilentMac

SilentMac Member

for example

"ocean's twelve" subtitles
    http://subtitles.images.o2.cz/74073/Ocean's+Twelve.html

About ffmep and sizzle:
    I have tried several times and the movie is very good on my mac, but when I use toast to burn and I try it on my dvd-player with my tv, the proportion (resolution?) of everything is not wright. For example, the faces of the people are long and small. Do you know how to fix it?

I tried the subtitles and they are working ... very good actually

greetings

12. nepgunes

nepgunes Member

MacMan, Thanks for all that info.. i know its been a while since i was here but thank you.. I havent tried it out yet but will let u know..

Another question I have for you is..
    I have a movie but its 2 avi files. One file is 694 MB and the other is 692.7MB. Is there a way to combine the two avi files into 1 avi file? I would like to burn this movie to DVD but there are 2 avi files instead of one. let me know if u can help.

Thanks

13. macman123

macman123 Regular member

glad you are back. to join two avi's u can use ffmpegx or dvd2onex. with ffmpegx here's what u do:

1. start up ffmpegx and go to tools.
    2. on the right side it will say browse, browse the first avi, click ok and then go to the other browse and click on the second avi.
    3. now on the right side of click on join and wait till it is done.
    4. do the whole progress i said earlier.

or use dvd2onex, version 1.4

1. do the whole process at the top for both avi's
    2. now u have two video_ts folders, one with the first avi and one with the other.
    3. start up dvd2onex and go to the copy part and choose join.
    4. find the first video_ts folder and select the language/s.
    5. on the left side click the + simbol and then find the second video_ts folder and select the language/s.
    6. click start and burn the new video_ts folder.

14. nepgunes

nepgunes Member

thanks a lot...i havent tried it yet..probably tonight if i dont go out.. but which method do you think is easier..using ffmpegX or dvd2oneX?

greatly appreciate all your help

Hope It Works!

15. nepgunes

nepgunes Member

Where would u suggest i find the program sizzle?

16. SilentMac

SilentMac Member

use a p2p-program
    greetings

17. macman123

macman123 Regular member

try to make the file widescreen.

18. nepgunes

nepgunes Member

OK I successfully joined together the two avi's by using ffmpegx. and got a files that says. joined.avi which is what i wanted. Then using ffmpegx i turned the joined avi into the DVD ffmpeg. When I did that I got a file that ends in joined.avi.ff.mpg that is 3.32 GB and it also created a folder that has an audio_ts folder and a video_ts folder. then using ffmpegx i converted the movie audio to ac3.

So.. Step 3 says when all isconverted you will have 2 files one will end in .mpv and the other will end in .ac3. I have the ac3 but no .mpv??
    and i didnt find sizzle yet so im stuck here for now.

any comments??

19. AtrophyG4

AtrophyG4 Member

I have had trouble with a XVID file for about a week now. The first time I used FFmpegX to convert it to DVD using the ffmpeg option. I burned the _TS files in toast under Data UDF at 1x and so forth and got a DVD. The disk plays in my standalone Pioneer DV-C503 but the audio cuts in and out. In my slimline PS2 it plays, but the video is jerky, as though frames are missing.

So I reencoded the avi with the mpeg2enc option and all and all I got the same results. Then I tried your instructions here. I already had a .mpv from the last encoding, so I just did the auido to AC3. I dropped everything in Sizzle and let it do its thing, but it told me that the audio was not 48khz which may cause sync issues. Sure enough, I play it in the standalone and video is excellent and the audio cuts in and out, in the PS2, it plays like it is in fast foreward.

FFmpeg says that the XVID audio is in mp3. VLC, mplayer, and DVD player all play both the avi and the resulting VOBs perfectly. The only problems I have is when I get it on a disk and try to watch it on the TV. Any idea what I am doing wrong, or do I just have a crappy file?

20. SilentMac

SilentMac Member

Hey,

Ok, everything works fine ... only 1 thing doesn't: the subtitles. When I use the preview in ffmegX, they are there, when I watch the finished DVD, they are gone ... any explanation?

I think I use an other ffmepX version (newest) ... I had to choose the DVD-lo option to encode and switched some settings (quality) so I have widescreen.

In sizzle you have the option to add subtitles, but it won't accept .srt so I can't try it that way.

Greetings