1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backing up a couple games. HOW?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by GeoHound, Mar 11, 2003.

1. GeoHound

GeoHound Member

Hi I never tried backing up a copy protected game. So I don't know where to start. I just bought Age of Mythology and C&C Generals. I have the tendency to misplace my cd's so this time I want to back it up how do I do it? what programs do I use? Please help.

2. .X.

.X. Member

3. GeoHound

GeoHound Member

I read the posting but there are some parts that confuse me. well to be honest the whole thing does. See I'm not really a software type of person, we just don't get along so what I need is a walk through. If you can help it would be great. I know that Age of Mythology is using SafeDisc v2.7 and c&c is prolly using 2.8 what do I do now what is all this .bin stuff?
    sorry but I usually just burn audio and dvds. so this whole copy protected things is totally new to me

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

5. .X.

.X. Member

Well, I'll try and help as best I can. However, please note first off that I also quite new to all this stuff as well.

Alright then. For Safedisc you want to use Alcohol 120% (You can download it off this very site) Install Alc. Now throw in your AoM disk (probably want to use your burner) Open up Alc. and go to "Image Making Wizard" Select your drive that contains the media (AoM disk).

Now this is the tricky part, because A) I don't know what kind of burner you have. And B) I can really only explain it to you as how it worked for me. You may have to configure differently. But let's try this.

Check "on"
    Skip Reading Errors
    Fast Skip Error Blocks

Check "off"
    Read sub-channel data from current disk

In the pull-down data box, select "Safedisc 2"

Press next and follow through the rest of wizard to start creating your image file.

(Important: When backing up my Splinter Cell CD 3, I recieved "read data errors" during the entire image making process. However, the ensuing burn worked perfectly for me, so don't worry if you get the same.)

Ok, now after the image has been made successfully, save it and then go to "Image Burning wizard"

Find the image file that you just made, select it, insert a blank disc into your cd-writer and then make sure it is also selected in the pulldown menu. Follow through the wizard, making sure to select "Safedisc 2" in the databox once more like before. Start your burn.

Like I said, I can only describe to you how "I" was able to do it. Still learning and reading and doing research on all this myself.

If you run into any snags I will try to help out as best I can.

(Oops, didn't realize you had posted till after I did there Shoey...=P Hahah, listen to Shoey there guy, he is the man, helped me out big time. And hey Shoey, topic with your name on it! lol)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2003
  6. GeoHound

GeoHound Member

Well I'm using a friend's computer at the moment, they have an LG CD-RW CED-8080B, which is I guess a hewlett packard. hmm not sure. on my comp I hava a verbatim dvd+rw/cd-rw I tried using alcohol 120% the trial version and yeah I was getting those read error messages on all of the lines as well so I cancelled should I have just continued?

7. .X.

.X. Member

Your "friend's"....*cough*......LG (Lucky Goldstar) burner will definately do the trick. I have no idea about yours.

And yeah, just give it another try, let it do it's thing even if that means it's coming up with errors.

When it's done, save and then try a burn.

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

LG=Lucky GoldStar made by Hitatchi. IGNORE the read errors when reading the image. This is why skip read errors& fast skip error block is enabled when reading the image. Safedisc protection is found right at the front of the protected disc. Once you get passed the first 10,000-13,000 sectors of the protected cd, you WON'T see those errors anymore.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2003
  9. .X.

.X. Member

For clarification:

It took a long time to make my cd image for my Splinter Cell 3rd disk. So I just left it going and did some other stuff for awhile. When I got back it had been completed successfully, but there was a huge ass list of those disk read errors. I just assumed it had errors through the whole read process.

I uninstalled SC, and reinstalled just to be safe. My backup copy most definately works, so, those errors must have only been in the first 10000 to 13000 like you said there Shoey.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2003
  10. Shoey

Shoey Guest

LG burners are on the slow end reading Safedisc. The Litey LTD 163/165/166 DVD-Roms cut right through Safedisc, read blazin' fast!
    Did you exit Alcohol 120 from startup, then try and install your backup? Or did you use your DVd/CD-Rom? if not, do so and see if you encounter install or play errors.

Shoey

11. .X.

.X. Member

Yep, sure did Shoey, to both.

Alcohol is not running at all and is not factoring into the ability of my backup copy of SC. I used my cd-rom to install and start up the game. Running like a dream my friend, I even just patched up to 1.1 with it:)

12. Shoey

Shoey Guest

^bump^= edit. Open Alcohol 120 and down near the bottom, locate your LG burner>properties>basic Does the LG ATIP support?

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2003
  13. .X.

.X. Member

Actually it says:

Read ATIP Unknown

? Eh well, I dunno. SC works. Master of Orion 3 works. Obviously means I can handle SecuROM and Safedisc? o_O

14. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Only way to test is to uninstall C&C Generals, use your LG to install WITHOUT Alcohol 120% running. My bet, you'll encounter install or playback errors. SecuROM 4.8.x has nothing to do with ATIP, Safedisc 2.8.x earlier versions do.

Shoey

15. .X.

.X. Member

Umm.....shoey???

I stated that I was speaking in reards to Splinter Cell. Not C&C (I don't own that game)

And I uhh answered you and said that yes, I made sure Alcohol was "not" a factor and I even did a uninstall and reinstall using my backup copy of Splinter Cell...it works.

16. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Sorry m8, I mean Splinter Cell. You posted you installed from your cd-rom. You also posted ATIP unknown for your burner (LG). The reason why I ask this is because most LG writers can't read atip. I couldn't install C&C Renegade (Safedisc 2.5.1) on my LG 24x.

Shoey

17. .X.

.X. Member

Oh ok, I gotcha now man. (no prob btw)

Well I don't really want to do an uninstall and reinstall right now (it takes awhile >_<) But I will pop the play disc in and see if she loads....

Nope. You are right bro. But see, now I thought this was good? You "want" your backup cds to just load off plain old cd-roms don't you? ~_^

At least I know I can burn and then use in my cd-rom.

18. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I pretty much knew the LG burners couldn't read ATIP. Good thing your cd-rom bypasses atip. No "perfect" backup can be made dealing with Safedisc 2.51-2.8.x simply because many roms out there can't bypass the atip factor.
    LG burners are nice (2 sheep)except for the LG 24x and earlier models. The downside, they can't bypass atip and slow reading Safedisc.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2003
  19. .X.

.X. Member

Ahhh...very good, very good. Yeah you're telling me it's a good thing my LG CD-rom bloody well reads atip....lol, man would I be choked if it didn't! O_O!

*Phew*

My "next" project "was" going to be a backup for War3......

But after doing searches.....good god.
    It sounds kinda messy. Like with patches being able to nix out your backup copy? That's pretty harsh. Oh well..

20. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes, patches of warcraft3 'move' the protection scheme this way:
    Warcraft 3 - Reign Of Chaos - SecuRom New v-4.68.00.4608
    Warcraft 3 - 1.01 patch SecuRom New v-4.68.00.4678
    Warcraft 3 - 1.02 patch SecuRom New v-4.68.00.4745
    Warcraft 3 - 1.03 patch SecuRom New v-4.68.00.4982
    Warcraft 3 - 1.04a patch SecuRom New v-4.68.00.5162
    Warcraft 3 - 1.05 patch SecuRom New v-4.84.60.5945

Nice, isn't it? BTW, if you scan your copy with ClonyXXL you might be able to detect the actual protection scheme (the true difference happens when you jump to 1.05, since you move to the well known - and infamous - SecuROM 4.8x !!)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2003