1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up "Collateral"

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by djhxn, Feb 27, 2005.

1. djhxn

djhxn Guest

hi everyone....
    i just backed up my copy of "Collateral" twice using Mac the Ripper 2.5.6 and Popcorn. the rip and burn were both successful. i didn't get any error messages but when i played it back on my dvd player, every few seconds the video stutters. when i used mac the ripper, i did a full disc extraction and compressed and burned using Popcorn. after the 1st burn showed this stuttering, i tried it again but this time i used full disc arccos extraction and compress and burned using Popcorn. i popped it into my dvd player and the video is still stuttering. am i doing something wrong? what can i do to prevent and stop the video from stuttering? any ideas and suggestions would be greatful.

2. vantrells

vantrells Member

i backed that up with no problems. it's not an arccos disk, so leave it on the regular setting. did you try to play the movie from your hard drive? if that plays ok then it might be something in your compress/burn step. what media are you using and what speed were you burning at? try a burn at a really slooowww speed with good quality media. i've made disks that have burned fine but when you put them in a dvd player they freak out and freeze up. also if you can try and play them in a different dvd player. my playstation 2 just about sucks when it comes to playing things that play fine on my toshiba deck that's hook up to the tv. md

3. djhxn

djhxn Guest

thanks for your reply....
    i am using verbatim dvd+r media and i burn the dvd's at 2x....which is the slowest speed Popcorn allows me to use.

4. vantrells

vantrells Member

is it just that movie or others?

5. djhxn

djhxn Guest

it plays fine when i open the video_ts folder with apple dvd player. i have backed up some of my other movies using mac the ripper and popcorn without any playback issues. it seems to be only this movie, so i have no idea what the problem could be.

6. vantrells

vantrells Member

just for fun i would try and see what happens when you do a full disk extraction in mactheripper and do a movie only burn in popcorn. another thing is maybe try and do a "save as disc image" and then burn that. what's goofy is it's the first time it's happened. i did use popcorn to backup "the forgotten" and a friend that i let borrow it said on the extended version it had a few spots that stuttered. the only version i have watched on it was the theater version. maybe it has to do with how popcorn compresses, but why wouldn't it happen on other disks, weird?!... do you have access to or own dvd2one? if you do i would try compressing with that. or if the movie is short enough in "movie only" mode it might not have to compress. md

7. vantrells

vantrells Member

i really hope you get it figured out. if all else fails you could always resort to taunting your computer and calling it names. that's what i do. get all geeky on it, "listen you no good son of a 386 running os2 warp!@#$*%" (bad attempt at humor, sorry) anyway, maybe one of the smarter people (mediaguru/landor/trier/etc..) might have an idea or two because i am stumped!

8. djhxn

djhxn Guest

i've already done the name calling thing....just kidding. but i've tried everything that you suggested and everything that i can think of. hopefully someone out there can figure out this little problem. thanks for your help. i really do appreciate it.

9. vantrells

vantrells Member

10. djhxn

djhxn Guest

thanks for all of your help. after a little researching, i finally figured it out by getting dvd2onex. after i used that program instead of popcorn, playback in my dvd player was perfect. the funny thing is, after i compressed and burned the dvd using popcorn, it played fine in apple's dvd player application...no dropped frames or playback issues...but it had some dropped frames on my home dvd player. weird huh? anyways, all is well here so thanks again for all your suggestions.