1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup of Family Guy using Mac

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by greg97, Mar 20, 2005.

1. greg97

greg97 Member

I've recently started using Mac the Ripper, DVD2oneX, and Toast to backup movies. I've encountered my first problem trying to backup Family Guy with this method. I've tried twice.
    The first time yielded an unusable disk. The second attempt gave a disk that was loadable onto my dvd player, yet the menus were for the most part unusable. Has anyone had any success? Thanks.

2. xaosai

xaosai Member

Maybe try different media. Or just leave out the menus. It's not ideal but it yields better quality vids. I've found that leaving out menus gives me a slightly higher success rate. I've copied a few full dvds where the menus didn't work right. Some dvds are just stubborn.

3. greg97

greg97 Member

Thanks for the advice. It seems like after searching the net that my first generation progressive scan player - Toshiba SD 5109 (dual tray)- does have trouble playing backed-up DVDs. However, the idea of getting rid of menus is interesting. In the case of videos with multiple menus like this one, is it possible to remove all of the .IFO files except for the first main one? This would at least allow me to get to each episode easily. Also has anyone had any success with media on these first gen Toshiba players?
    I have already tried Memorex, Sony and a couple of no-namers (DVD-R only, as DVD+R wouldnt even verify).
    As always thanks for the assistance.

4. xaosai

xaosai Member

You may be able to customize the menus using dvdstudiopro or some other high end editing software, but I've never tried that. The only thing I've messed with is copying the menu vob file to make two dvd's out of one. I had problems getting the menus to reference the right chapters and sometimes it didn't work at all. The fastest method is to only select the main titles in dvd2onex movie only mode. This allows you to pick and choose which episodes/titles you want to burn. You could try selecting the listed menu files too but its probably not going to give you what you want.