1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benq1650

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by sd72667, Mar 27, 2006.

1. storm1234

storm1234 Guest

So they can do scanning, or cant do scanning? I'm probably getting this later in the day, so I wanna make sure, its gonna beable to do everything that it should, and be good at it.

2. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi,
    Yes you can scan with BenQs' 1640/1650/1655 via CD/DVDSpeed. For the latest version of CD/DVDSpeed (4.50) plus new InfoTool goto
    http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
    BTW you can run these latest versions regardless which Nero you're using. In fact you don't even need Nero installed on your pc.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  3. storm1234

storm1234 Guest

Well I just ordered my BenQ 1650, hopefully there arent any burnt smells. Few questions, on what I should do after I install the drive.

For Who has ordered / received there 1650.

1)What was the firmware outta the box
    2)How was your quality writes without changing firmware, if anyone has done so.
    3)How was your writes // scans after you updated your firmware to the latest.

And anything else you might like to add, or inform me about.
    Thanks Storm~

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

1) BCAC-drive was made in december 2005
    2+3) Updated it to BCDC right after I installed it.I did just like I did my 1640. Updated fw and had qsuite 2.0 set up for these sweet benq drives.

5. mord

mord Regular member

i ordered a 1650 from newegg..awesome price they've got for it now :D my old 4x Benq seems to be dying hehe so its time to replace it :)

6. storm1234

storm1234 Guest

What program do I use to update my benq 1650 firmware when I receive it. And where can I get it at. Thanks Storm~

7. storm1234

storm1234 Guest

Actually the firmware you get from benq's site, is its own program u just double click select the drive, and update it looks like. Is this correct?

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

9. grumlenz

grumlenz Regular member

I just got this drive (the 1650) a couple days ago from Meritline and just installed it. I just burned my first DVD with it and I was wondering why it took 25 minutes? It's a Verbatim 8x disc, burned at 8x (because that's what tested better on my old drive). I figured it should be more like 9-10 minutes like it was on my other drive. I checked and the firmware is up to date, any ideas as to why it took so long? I have not tried another one yet? Thanks!

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What format of verbs are they?

These benqs highly favor the plus format.

You got the MID code from those verbs?

Those +8x verbs are very hard to find.I don't even believe my 1640 has burned any of those MCC-003 media.The +16x are very sweet,and you can't burn them slow. At least 8x on the MCC-004 media.

Mine does about 10 mins using 8x on about 4.37 gb backkups. That's using solidburn,which slows it down a little.

11. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@grumlenz

to add to saugmon's comment, your firmware might be up to date, but has your drive slipped back into PIO mode? make sure it's in DMA mode...that's the only thing i can think of why the burning aspect of the 1650 would take so long.... :)

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/checking DMA.pdf

@saugmon

good thing i stocked up on the Verb MCC003 (8x dvd+r) when the going was good huh? LOL...i think most people know that i burn everything @8x on all my drives, and this 1650 is no exception~ :) i've gotten a few 99 scores using the MCC003s burned @8x, as expensive as they are now online and difficult to find locally (8x dvd+r), they work very well on this Benq1650 (just to let others know) :)

i totally agree with you that the 1650 and the 1640 i have favor the dvd+r format, but just a little advice to ya, i tested the 16x dvd+r YUDEN000T03s Taiyo Yudens on them and was rather disappointed...due to the fact that i have one of the earliest batches of it from TY, they've noted my displeasure with them (others have complained as well) but assured me their "newer batches" in the foreseeable future here in the U.S. will be much better~ :) so far, at least in MY OWN opinion, the benq 1650 likes the YUDEN000T02s (8x dvd+r TYs) the best...i don't have any more 16x dvd+r MCC004 Verbatims to test out, but i'm sure you will have that covered well before me~ :)

docTY~

12. grumlenz

grumlenz Regular member

@saugmon

The ones I am using are actually the 8x DVD-R inkjet white hub printables, my old drive didn't booktype so I have been using -R and I have a ton of them left so I will probably still be using those for awhile. Oh yeah, this is my first benQ, what is solidburn? and what is this Qsuite thing i keep reading about, do I have it? Do I need it? Thanks man! Oh yeah, and the code for the discs is MCC 02RG20, I got them from Supermediastore.

@kivory666

Thanks for the suggestion, I did check and everything looks like it does in the picture on device 0, and it also does on device 1, except the current transfer mode says Ultra DMA Mode 2 (not 5 like in the picture), I have no idea what that means!

Any other ideas? I guess I should try another one or two burns and see if the same thing happens, I will do that and post the results. Thanks guys!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

grumlenz: Qsuite is a free utility. It has several very useful programs:

1) Solid Burn
    2) Booktype - sets the plus format media to dvd-rom
    3) Q-scan- Tests blank media and tells you if it is ok at certain speeds. About 2 mins for each speed you select.
    4) WOPC: Walking Optimal Power Control.The laser adjusts to the condition of the blank media.
    5) Over Speed Control: These benqs will burn majority of 8x speed media at 12x and 16x. This program is useful on single drive pcs where you may have low speed or max speed restrictions. Works on the Benq 1640 and 1650. Not on the 1620
    6) Test write

Here's a guide to the qsuite user manual:

http://support.benq.com/front/benqmain.asp

The benq 1650 is suppose to be able to booktype right out of the box.I've answered other members who said they weren't.Great to have qsuite anyways for them.

The qscan is great.Scan a disc at 4x and see if it says safe.Then keep scanning up to max speed.

Overspeed control:Very useful for single drive pcs if you use dvd shrink and autoburn with nero/copytodvd/or dvd decrypter.On my single drive pc,I have 1x/2x/2.4x/and max speed. Majority of my media is 8x and the benq 1620 will burn them at 12x and 16x if left in max speed.The scans are poorer with the 2.4x. This is a huge asset for that 1 single drive pc.It'll burn the media at the speed that is rated for,no more overburning.

Here's where to get qsuite.Some peeps had issues with qsuite 2.1. I recommend 2.0

qsuite 2.0 and 2.1:
    http://support.benq.com/front/BenqM...langu=null&ops=null&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined
    --------------------------------------------------

Here's where you can get the latest firmware updates:

benq 1650 fw:
    http://support.benq.com/front/BenqM...langu=null&ops=null&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined

14. grumlenz

grumlenz Regular member

Saugmon, here is my Nero CD-DVD Speed scan of the disc that took 25 minutes to burn, let me know what you think and what I should look for, I don't really know what these results mean. Thank you!

General Information
    Drive: BENQ DVD DD DW1650
    Firmware: BCDC
    Disc: DVD-R (MCC 02RG20 )
    Selected speed: 8 X
    PI errors
    Maximum: 154
    Average: 28.16
    Total: 375994
    PI failures
    Maximum: 10
    Average: 0.72
    Total: 6747
    PO failures: 0
    Jitter
    Maximum: 10.2 %
    Average: 8.17 %
    Scanning Statistics
    Elapsed time: 9:51
    Number of samples: 17350
    Average scanning interval: 8.25 ECC
    Glitches removed: 0

Also, the quality score was 94, I don't know if that's the average for the whole disc or just the end score. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  15. jhlent

jhlent Member

From Newegg
    BenQ Model DW1650 $35.99 + $4.89 Three Day Shipping = $40.88
    BenQ Model DW1655 $44.99 + $4.89 Three Day Shipping = $49.88
    BenQ Model DQ60 $34.99 + $4.89 Three Day Shipping = $39.88
    So no more than $10.00 diffenence

Ok newbie questions here (sorry)
    Just what are the major differences here..??
    Not very interested in using LightScribe Burner

I do have a BenQ DW 1620 and I am wanting to add 1 or 2 more to the system to burn 2 or 3 disks at a time. I will be using Nero to do multi burning with - if I remember right it will do up to 3 drives at once.

Any thoughts here...??

16. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I haven't heard anything great about the DQ-60 which as the dvd-ram.

I've got 2 benq 1620s and they are great. Get the 1650s. I'm not sure how they'll be all burning at the same time.

17. grumlenz

grumlenz Regular member

Saugmon, did you see my other post, three up from this one? Thanks man, Also I am still having problems, it seems that since that BenQ was installed, I can't get a successful burn on that one, and now I can't get a successful burn on my other drive either!! I started a thread to post my log/logs of failed burns, maybe you can check it out and let me know what you think?? Thanks! Here's the other one:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/325470

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey grummy. I posted to your other thread.

Benqs highly favor the plus format.

Some things you may want to try:

Go through device manager under cdrom/dvd drives and uninstall drivers for you benq and reboot.

Do the same to the BTC burner.

Nero can be flaky at times. You may want to uninstall it,use nero cleantools 6 to completely remove all remnants of nero off harddrive and download it again.Make sure you leave out the INCD packets. Here's a link to nero cleantool 6:

http://www.nero.com/us/Nero_6_Clean_Tool.html

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  19. jhlent

jhlent Member

I use 95% -R
    You think it would be better to use +R and book the video...??

I have a video searies of 7 disks that I need to produce 100 sets.
    I have 800 disks of 8x -R of Ty.

This is why I am wanting to be able to stack 2 or 3 drives together and use nero to burn with, unless there is another software out there that will allow more than 1 burner...??

20. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You don't have to booktype. It all depends on how many different drives those backups are going in.

A few drives,no biggie.

A ton of drives like 100+, Booktyping would be highly valued!

These Benqs highly favor the plus format. Here's how my rate compares:

Booktyped- 95% compatable
    Dvd-r: 75% tops.
    Dvd+r: I have no Idea,cause all mine are booktyped.

This is using 2 benq 1620s/1640/and 1650. Dash gives me more coasters,and lower compatability rate.

Booktyping capable drives give you a third format to pow around with-Dvd-rom.

I don't have any idea about burning 2 or 3 discs at a time. I do have dual dvd-rw drives in my 2 main pcs. But only 1 burn at a time.

With all 4 pcs fired up,I can get about 12-16 copies an hour at most. All at 8x speed and 1 drive at a time.These are not on the fly copies,stricly burning from harddrive files using dvd decrypter or nero6.