1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to edit an avi file, cut sections from the file and replace with other sections

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by bethro, May 12, 2008.

1. bethro

bethro Member

I need to edit an avi file, as I say in the title, cut sections and replace with others. I know that this can be a bit dodgy, should i convert it to another file format and edit it then re-convert to avi? Or is there an easier way? What are the best programs to use?
    Thanks in advance

2. corn

corn Guest

I don't use mac. But really, any video editor should work. Did you get the iLife with ur mac? iMovie should be on your PC.

Hope I helped.

3. bethro

bethro Member

Thank you for your reply!
    I actually solved my own problem. I did do the editing in iMovie, which i didn't know was possible. I head read a lot about avi's not behaving properly when edited, so i was worried about this. Actually, i think, but am not certain as I don't really know much about this, but i think iMovie converted my .avi into .mov when I imported it, which seemed to work OK. I am now facing another problem, exporting!! But i think I may have solved it. Thank you for your help.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

For anyone else with this problem there is a mac version of avidemux which will also do all kinds of things with many many media file formats ;)