1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Way To SoftMod Gamecube. Been trying to search no luck

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Flandrel, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Flandrel

Flandrel Regular member

What is the easiest way to softmod a Revision A Gamecube? I have another gamecube that is modded with Qoob Pro. I was just curious as to how I can make the other one softmod. Will having a modded gamecube on hand help out with that with making files, etc?

Can anyone let me know what I would need to softmod?

Thanks

Flandrel

2. xsh1n0x

xsh1n0x Member

the only softmod i know for gamecube is the max drive pro. you transfer a .DOL file into the memory card that comes with max drive pro then load the disc and find the file and choose it. swap the disc for mini dvdr and boot. its very easy. i've seen a video of someone doing it. no need to open your system to install anything.

3. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

There are four softmod methods Phantasy Star Online 1 and 2(not the plus version)with broadband adapter and official nintendo memory card,Action Replay with an official nintendo memory card,SD card reader and SDLoader,and the Max Drive Pro.The PSO 1 and 2 method and the Max Drive Pro are pretty easy to setup,but the Action Replay method will need some assistance from someone that uses the PSO 1 and 2 method or similar to put the Action Replay loader on the official nintendo memory card.Then you input some codes in Action Replay and when you start it up,it should launch the GCOS screen.I'm not sure why the Action Replay method hasn't been mentioned on here or maybe I overlooked it,but it works also.The last thing I heard codejunkies has stopped selling the Max Drive Pro software.I think the last resort is to mess with Action Replay or the Gecko SD Card reader,as the PSO method costs alot of money and is probably not worth it now with modchips out.I also seen schematics on how to make your own SD card reader,but they are not for a novice.It involves alot of soldering,and you have to modify a GameCube memory card.I would probably get an SD card reader if I couldn't do the SD card mod,and mess with that method.I have three of the softmods so far(PSO method,Max Drive Pro,and the Action Replay method),the only one I am lacking is the SD Card method.I haven't really found a reason to mess with it though,but maybe I will eventually or just get a modchip.

4. nyder

nyder Guest

I think the action replay methods is mentioned here, but mixed in with the pso exploit. I have like 4 or 5 ar for the gc, but wasn't ever able to get a dol to my original nintendo mc.
    but i just ordered a Ninja mod so it doesn't really matter anymore.

The action replays are still pretty easy to find.

5. nyder

nyder Guest

If you can run dols with your modded GC, use it to put GCOS onto a official Nintendo mc, so then you can use it on your non modded gc.

No need to use the BBA & PSO
    or SD Loader
    or Max Drive Pro
    mainly if you don't have any of these.
    Just do whatever you have to with your mod chip to load dols, and load whatever dol lets you move files to the mc.

I'm not exactly sure how you would do it, as I don't have my gc modded yet (waiting for my Ninja mod). But it would seem to be the easist way. I guess it depends if your mod lets you load dols or not.

6. xsh1n0x

xsh1n0x Member

wouldnt loading DOL's be the same as having the BIOS on the modchip? the only thing DOL's work best for is for SD loaders, action replay, pso+bba IMO.

7. nyder

nyder Guest

Sort of. If you are loading GCos, then yes, it would be. but theres other dols that you could load also.

I can't remember how the GCos on the official nintendo mc card works. If it being on there at the right place (like the first file or something) make it get booted up, then having someone copy it over for you would work fine.

You don't have to use the PSO&BBA trick everytime you want to load GCos, right? You use it the once to write the expoit onto to mc card.

Well, if someone has a gc that can run dols, then they should be able to do that for someone. Send them the mc in the mail with a SASE, and there you go. softmodded and it just cost a few stamps.

After I get my mod chip and I install it, then I'd have no problem doing that for anyone. But if you look hard enough, i'm sure you can find someone in your area that can do that.

Otherwise, Datel's selling a new SD load type thing that works with the Wii also. It's $50 and for loading homebrew on the Gc & Wii and comes with a 1 gig SD card. While it should work find loading GCos, someone's pointed out that no ones actually has reported using it to load gcos & backups. So far no ones actually said they've bought it.

8. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Well the Action Replay method is really easy to setup,but as mentioned without having a way to load .dol files you won't be able to set it up.There are a couple of methods of getting it to work,but I found out that it only works on the official nintendo memory cards and it can't be the 1019 Dol memory cards in order for it to work.The reason why is Samson's loader hasn't been worked on for those type of memory cards,and I tested it out on one that I had and to confirm it doesn't work on the 1019 memory cards.You can use PSO+BBA to transfer it over,Max Drive Pro,SDLoader,even modchips I would assume.I would say SDLoader is the best method so far though,the reason I say that though is because you can use SD cards on the Wii also.It would give you an advantage if you ever got a Wii console,just something to bring up for anyone that is looking at this.Like nyder said once you get the exploit on the memory card,you don't have to use PSO+BBA or anything like that anymore.You just use Action Replay and the memory card you used to write the exploit to.

I would buy it if I could get a hold of it,is it selling off codejunkies direct.If you could nyder could you give me the site where to buy it from bro.Thanks in advance

9. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

10. xsh1n0x

xsh1n0x Member

i have a modded gc and my cousin borrowed one. if i were to transfer a .dol file to a 59 block memory card and let my cousin borrow it, he would still need to get the action replay to load the .dol file to play backups right?

11. nyder

nyder Guest

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/445419

This is the thread I found out about it on, so credit actually goes to Ace_2 for posting it.

I'd like to get one, but unless they sell them without the SD cards, I probably won't scrape up enough for it (I have better stuff to buy if I'm spending that much).

who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and gamestop/eb games will carry it so i can get it on with store credit.

12. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah true nyder I agree with you if you already have the sd card adapter and a sd card it probably wouldn't be of much use.Yeah xsh1n0x the Action Replay is needed bro.Samson's bootloader uses the Action Replay to launch the saved file on the memory card.You got the right memory card,you just need a Action Replay and you should be good to go.You can get the Action Replay pretty cheap I think at gamestop or ebgames.I'm not sure what all Action Replay's are compatibile,but I used a Action Replay v1.14a and it worked like a charm.If you need help installing the AR exploit look off http://www.gamecubeos.com in the support section in the forums.Once you get it installed you can launch GCoS off the memory card with the exploited memory card in slot B and Action Replay.