1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buffer underruns and hardware errors burning ripped dvds

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by gassey, Apr 18, 2005.

1. gassey

gassey Member

Hi

I am completely new to macs, and have a powerbook g4 with superdrive. I have been extracting dvds with MTR, and burning them with popcorn. These are kids dvds - ie all less than 4.3gb so no compression needed. However, I am yet to complete a burn! I either get buffer underruns (!) which I hadn't had for 5 years with my pc, or a box pops up with "Hardware error". I have burnt data dvds OK. I have tried 2 different dvd brands, + and -, different burn speeds etc but to no avail. Is this a popcorn problem, or is it the Matshita DVD drive? Any ideas?

Thanks

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I'm not a big popcorn fan. I hear tons of bad stories about it comared to the good.

Do you have toast?

3. gassey

gassey Member

Hi

I've just tried burning a VTS file using toast - I get the same hardware errors half way through. Just trying to create an image file and burning it.....
    I was wondering if the firmware needed upgrading -but I looked on the Matshitti website & it was a complete joke!

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Do you have "buffer underrun protection" turned on?

5. gassey

gassey Member

6. gassey

gassey Member

finally got round it to a degree - by creating a disk image with dvd imager (freeware) and burning it using disk utility it burns & plays! Don't know how what to do with bigger disks tho...

Has anyone else had major problems burning vts.vob files with powerbooks?