1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVD+R media shows blank on Explorer. HELP

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by atalbot, Oct 26, 2004.

1. atalbot

atalbot Member

Hi, I am having problems writiing data on to DVD+R media with a ricoh mp5240a.
    The data seems to burn on to the media fine but when I come to view the data in windows explorer or any other application it shows the disk as being blank. If the disk is then tried to be burned again it shows error message. I have tred burning on both intervideo disk master and Nero 6 software.
    I am using Verbatim DVD+R media and running on a win XP new computer with SP2 installed.
    It seems to burn cds ok.

Please help as i am stumed and can't afford throwing media away!!

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Andrew

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi atalbot,

Your media is fine, don't change it, ever !

Do continue to use Nero and consult Nero's many guides, there's very little that program can't do.

Let's go over your DVD burner's basics, Okie, Dokie ?

For that we'll have to turn on the TV to "The Wide Warped World of Sports," already in progress :)

(Our advertiser's here for a few words first - )

Remember fans, while watching our sports spectacular always check your DMA mode. When our PC gets "cranky" and "out of sorts", it could be you've slipped from your DMA mode to your PIO Mode. As we all know, it could happen to anyone. Why not go into Device Manager, and under IDE ATA/ ATAPI Controllers, check your Primary IDE Channel (where your burner should be) to see if your Current transfer under Advanced settings is set to DMA while we head to our broadcast site where we'll catch up to ScubaPete, and our show which is already in progress -

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

First, to our sports announcer "ScubaPete" at the local ball field -

Hi folks, nice of you to join us -
    (hey ball boy, gimme a beer, "K" ?)

First up to bat this inning, our all star, ASPI- let's check his bio - ASPI likes to sandwich himself between the software and the burner, allowing fast and precise communication and smooth performance.

Here's some additional information about the ASPI layer –

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

First we see if he'll join the lineup by way of Adaptec ASPI layer OR Nero ASPI.

Sometimes ASPI is reluctant to join so we may have to "Force" him by using "Force ASPI."

We'll find all of those links and some more information here -

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Once he's in place, it's good to check on ASPI, here's a good tool for just that, it's called ASPI Checker -

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...nguage=English+US&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Taking a short break while a fan streaks the field, we're switching you to the All World Golf Tournament and ScubaPete 2 at the clubhouse -

(hey) "High Ball," (I mean,) Hi ya'all, Stupid-Pete, I mean ScubaPete. Are we set ready for Firmware ? Well G R E A T !

We'll be going out to the links (while I get anudder rink) to check our Firmware for our burner of choice -
    The Firmware, as we might remember, is our burner's tutor, keeping our DVD burner "tweaked". It makes sure our burner can "speak" to as many different Mfgrs of media, as quickly and precisely as possible - We're always looking for the most recent upgrade -

To check on our firmware we'll need a little "kweel tool" which we can get from here -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

If you haven't gotten the proper firmware - back you go to get your upgrade – available at the Firmware page –

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php
    You cannot be without it -

"Time to take a break from our sports broadcast and transfer you back to ScubaPete at the bar, . . . Huuuuummmm, ScubaPete, I say, ScubaPete . . . has anyone seen ScubaPete what, ". . , wha . . he's under the wha . .

"Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen, ScubaPete seems to be under the, ahhhhhh, the . .Ahhhhh, weather, yea, that's it, He's under the weather . " (Psssst, BigOrange, get you feet offin da ScubaPete's head, we don't want him on the floor all nite . .

Someone ship him back to A/D, alrighty ?

"Well folks, we've lost our signal but we hope your driver is all that it can be, . . . G'nite all – "

Remember when looking for a guide with a disturbed personality, shop ScubaPete -

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  3. atalbot

atalbot Member

Thanks Pete for all this information. Excelent work but unfortunatly no joy.
    -I checked the DMA tab was ticked.
    -Updated my ASPI driver to latest version (When i ran ASPI checker it said N/A to all checks but is this because I am running win XP?)
    -I have updated my firmware to latest version .

And still the blessed burned data wont make a show on the disk!

Any more suggestions or is it a faulty DVD recorder .

Thanks once again for the reply.

Andy

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Andy,

Windows XP or not, you need an ASPI Layer. It is the ASPI Layer that communicates between your software and your burner - Back you go my friend and load one up, PLEASE ?

Thanks,

Pete

5. atalbot

atalbot Member

Hi Pete,

I have installed latest ASPI driver amd run ASPI checker to confirm they have been installed.
    But explorer still refuses to read disk.
    Yhanks for all the replies. Keep up the good work.

Andy

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sorry Andy, I'm plumb out of ideas, I'd start checking into your drive.

Oooohhh, I just thought of one last thing, let's make sure your burner is hooked up in the primary slot and not the secondary - That could cause those problems - give it a check -

another thing, if I didn't mention it before, use RW discs until you get this sorted out so you don'tlose anymore discs. and finally, try burning a DVD Video - if you can do that then it's your software - use this guide for the programs and settings -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Pete

7. atalbot

atalbot Member

Thanks Pete for all the suggestions.
    I shall let you know how I get on.

8. Biosgain

Biosgain Guest

Sounds like it`s burning in the wrong mode, like in mode 2 instead of mode 1 etc.

9. atalbot

atalbot Member

Biosgain,
    At the risk of sounding thick, how do I check whether its in mode 1 or mode 2 ??