1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning .Bin & .Cue on DVD - how???

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by MacNim, Sep 7, 2005.

1. MacNim

MacNim Member

Hello!

I am using Titanium 6 and find that I am able to go to COPY and drop my files in there using bin/cue just fine, however, it won't burn onto a DVD...just a CD.

Can someone please let me know the correct way on how to burn it onto a DVD using TOAST so that the .bin and .cue files will play onto a home DVD player? Thank you very much!

2. macman123

macman123 Regular member

i'm in the same boat i gave a videocd to a friend, but it wouldn't play on his dvd player. please help people.

and pc users don't waste are time by giving us pc related stuff only. that is why u have your setion and we have are ours.

3. nrautava

nrautava Guest

It seems that you guys have image what is made from (S)VCD...(or not)

So first I have to know what you have there... You can try this:

Open it with Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools and see what is is.

If there is dat file (about 700mb in one of the folders) then change .dat ot .mpeg after copying it to HD. Then you can just burn it to DVD.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2005
  4. AtrophyG4

AtrophyG4 Member

Although nrautava's programs are PC, the Idea is the same. Drop the cue file into the Toast window under Copy-->Bin/Cue and then click mount. This will give you a disk on the desktop that you can open and copy the .dat file(s) to your HD. After that you can change them to mpg and then drop them into Toast under Video-->DVD Video and let it go over night. It should convert and burn to the disk over night. I have only used Toast 7 to encode, so I don't know how well 6 does, but 7 rocks it out.

5. MacNim

MacNim Member

Wait - so I am confused a bit. Does that mean I need to encode the .bin and .cue file to work on a DVD player? I have ffmpexx program or whatever and can convert it to a DVD using the .VOB files, however, do I need to do that to both the .BIN and .CUE files? I am confused.

By the way, I do have Titanium 7. When I went to the data and clicked on bin/cue and dropped in my cue file, it mentioned something about the audio track or something not being compatible or something (I can't remember off the top of my head).

Can you please advise on exactly how to get my video to play on a home dvd player using Toast 7? Thank you very much!

6. AtrophyG4

AtrophyG4 Member

Lets try it this way...never actually done it but we can see.

Open toast and click copy and select Disk image in the side panel.
    Click Select... and find the BIN file and open it.
    Back in the Toast window, click Mount... (should be right next to Select...)
    You should have a Disk on your desktop titled similiar to your files.

Open the disk and find a folder called MPEGAV and open it.
    Drag the .dat file out onto your desktop or HD and wait for it to copy.
    Change the extension from .dat to .mpg which should make it viewable mpeg in Mplayer or Quicktime.

Go back into Toast and unmount your image (button used to Mount...)
    Click Video up top and select DVD Video in the advanced pane.
    Drop your newly aquired mpeg into the window, insert a DVD and click burn.
    Set your burn prefs in the drop window and click record.

It should encode the mpeg and burn it as a DVD, but it will take some time. Set it to go before you go to bed and it should be about ready or done when you wake up.

All of this seems to work on my system. The only thing I did't do is the burn process. When I did drop the MPG into the DVD Video window I noticed it only took up a fraction of the disk, whereas the .avi files I have encoded through Toast have always taken up the whole disk for best quality. Try saving as a disk image and then mounting the image to make sure it plays in OS X's DVD player before you make a coaster.

You may want to try investing in a cheap DVD player that does play (S)VCD disks and then you can just drag and drop your bin/cue combo and put them on a cdr. Also check your model number on http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers to see what your player is capable of. My player will play (S)VCD disks, but it has to be the cdrs with the real dark blue ink. I picked up a pack of 50 verbatims that look like vinyl records at Best Buy for $20.99 and they work great. Hope this helps. If you still have no success, check out www.vcdhelp.com in the Mac Forum and see some of those tutorials they have. You may find one using ffmpeg that works. I never had much luck myself but it seems to work for others.

7. MrGizmo

MrGizmo Guest

Quick and dirty solution....drag a downloaded folder into a VLC player pane and just watch it on a computer. Not the same a burning it and watching it on a home DVD player, but at least you can watch some formats of dowloaded media.

8. Maxbear

Maxbear Member

Alright guys here it goes .
    I use nero thats what i do all my conversions with
    I go to nero vision exprees 3 if you dont have it get it i cant say how to but you can figure it out.
    Anyways the first one will be make dvd click their a sreen will pop up asking you to add files go to were youre files are you will at first not see nothing what you do here is drop youre box down to view all files youre 4 files will pop up. Heres the trick click on the first and third file if their is two folders those are the ones that will burn.If you only have one bin cue file you can burn it with nero by burning as image onto a cd not dvd .Let me know how it goes works like a charm for me

9. Maxbear

Maxbear Member

Forgot to mention to select dvd at the begining and also transcoding takes about 5-6hours but gives you exact copy of youre download

10. AtrophyG4

AtrophyG4 Member

Nero is a PC program and not availaible for Mac, so it won't help in this situation.

11. macman123

macman123 Regular member

YEAH!!!!!! i got it down. i did it, but have 7 toast, not 6, and also noticed that when i burned it to the cd, it was encrpted!!! fortunately i still had the bin file and could burn it. so if it is burned on a disc, good luck. if it is on a bin file then mount, copy .dat to hd, then burn with toast

12. oploc2005

oploc2005 Member

Hey whats up everyone I am having some serious issues. I have a file with 3 bin cue files inside. I am trying to put them on a dvd disk to play in dvd player. I can burn the image already and put it onoy on vcd. I really need to learn how to put this file on DVD any suggestions. Otherwise when I get files what is the best format that will go right unto a dvd disk. Help me out please

13. AtrophyG4

AtrophyG4 Member

If it is really that important to put the movie on 1 DVD rather than 3 VCDs, then you can follow the steps above, but instead of just having 1 .dat to .mpg you will have 3. Drop them into Toast so that they are in the correct order (1-3 top to bottom respectivly) and then let Toast do the encoding and burning. Or....You can get Quicktime Pro, copy all of part 3 paste it at the end of part 2, copy all of THAT and paste it at the end of part 1, save as whatever file type you like (can't remember the options right now and I'm on a work PC without Quicktime) and then convert just the one movie file in Toast.

14. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

this short guide for this should be made into a sticky on the mac forums.

15. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

i tried this method...

... and it worked perfectly! thank you

16. AtrophyG4

AtrophyG4 Member

thelox....I was just wondering, when you dropped the mpg into the toast window under the video tab, did it show your disk use bar (the area around the burn button) as only a little bit or the whole thing? When I was typing that up, the file I used only used a little bit and I tested it by saving as a disk image and it was only a little over 700mb (about the size of the original mpg. Whenever I have used avi formats, it has always filled the bar up, based on run time instead of data use. Glad it worked though.

17. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

when i did it. the bar was like a quarter full.. so yes.. not all the way. avi usually do fill it up... i guess its just a bigger file in general.

it plays in the computer dvd players. i tried it in my friend's pc and it recognized it as a dvd. her stand-alone dvd player is a bit old. so that's probably why it didnt play it.

and since we apparantly cant booktype in mac, then she needs a new dvd player.

18. AtrophyG4

AtrophyG4 Member

If it made an actual DVD video it should play on most standalones and it will have a VIDEO_TS
    folder. Check the player at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers and see what it says it will
    play. Like I said, I never try converting the VCDs to DVD because I have found a fairly cheap
    media that plays 100% on my Pioneer and its just easier to drag and drop the bin/cue files
    and make the CD. My player is a 5 disk changer, so its not a big deal to have multiple disks.
    One ends and the next begins.

This may be a case where you would need to run the dat/mpg file through FFmpegX and
    change the video to m2v and then the audio to ac3. If you do that, you can drop those two
    files in Toast under the Video -> DVD Video just like you did with the mpg and it should put
    the two together and make a actual DVD.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  19. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

i'll have to try that.

i do have two files, is there any way to join them?

20. AtrophyG4

AtrophyG4 Member

If you have the m2v anc ac3 files then just run them through Toast and it will mux or demux (not sure which is the correct term) and that is the combining of the two. (I think)