1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning with Toast

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by marquis78, Jul 31, 2004.

1. marquis78

marquis78 Member

I too have searched high and low and don't think anyone has asked my question. I am new to the ripping and burning world on Mac and to the MacWorld in general. I just bought a 15" G4 Powerbook with a Superdrive. I use Mac the Ripper to rip the DVD, DVD2OneX to shrink it and then Toast 6 (I think) to burn and it doesn't give any errors but when it finishes, it won't play on my Panasonic DVD player sayin it doesn't read that kind of disc (I have Memorex DVD-Rs by the way) and it won't play on my Superdrive stating that it could not detect a valid media file. It will play the ripped DVD from my hard drive after using Mac the Ripper and after using DVD2OneX but I'm not sure what the deal is. Could it be a problem with the DVDs I bought? Or does anyone recognize the problem as something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Londor

Londor Guest

You have to burn as Data/DVD-ROM (UDF).

Create a new folder and name it as you want the DVD to be called. Drop in the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. Now drag the folder onto the Toast window. If Toast adds a .DS_Store file remove it. Press the red button to burn it.

Make sure you only use DVD-R and not DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW.

3. marquis78

marquis78 Member

I am definetelly using DVD-Rs so that's ok. I've also been doing it as a Data/DVD-ROM. There are no extra .DS folders in what's being burned so scratch that too. I didn't put it an audio folder so when I tried it with the blank audio folder I got an error about halfway through the burning process that said
    The drive reported an error:
    Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
    Sense Code = 0x03, 0x01

If that makes any sense or if you have a suggestion, I am greatly appreciative.

4. Londor

Londor Guest

Try this

1. Get DVD Imager (http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/dvdimager.html)
    2. Open it and drop the VIDEO_TS folder you got from DVD2OneX to create a Disk Image.
    3. Open Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities) and press the burn icon. Select the Disk Image and burn it.

Let me know if it works this way.

5. marquis78

marquis78 Member

Like a charm!! You are the master! Thank you

6. Londor

Londor Guest

There is a problem with your copy of Toast. Trash Toast and its preferences and re-install it. What version of Toast are you using? You may need to apply the latest updates.

7. marquis78

marquis78 Member

How can there already be a problem with my version of Toast? I just barely got it like 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure what version I have but I still get that error only sometimes when I try to burn with Toast. I can't find a rhyme or a reason to when or why.

8. Londor

Londor Guest

Open Toast and click on Toast Titanium/About Roxio Toast Titanium to check what version you have. The latest one is 6.0.7

9. marquis78

marquis78 Member

I have 6.0.3 so I'm guessing I need to get some of the updates or should I try reinstalling it? Did I mention how thankful I am of your help?? I really appreciate it.

10. Londor

Londor Guest

1- Trash Toast preferences (com.roxio.Toast.plist and Roxio Toast Prefs). You can find them in Your home/Library/Preferences.
    2- Download the latest version (http://www.roxio.com/en/support/toast/software_updatesv6.jhtml) and replace the old version with this one.
    3- Using Disk Utility repair disc permissions.
    4- If the problems persist contact Roxio Technical Support (http://www.roxio.com/en/support/contact/index.jhtml) for advice.

11. Londor

Londor Guest

Forgot to mention Memorex is not very highly regarded here because they buy media from different manufacturers and thet buy a lot from CMC which is considered one of the worst. So if your batch was manufactured by CMC you can expect up to a 50% failure rate.

Check this site to learn all you should know about media: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Probably the best compromise between price and quality is found in RIDATA and TRAXDATA dics made by Ritek. In which country do you live?

12. marquis78

marquis78 Member

I have heard that Ritek makes the best DVD-Rs, I might just have to get some. I am in the U.S.

13. marquis78

marquis78 Member

Another question. I went to my Library/Preferences and there were no files or folders that had to do with Toast or it's preferences. Does that make any difference?

14. Londor

Londor Guest

Look for the best deal on RIDATA discs in any of this sites

http://www.supermediastore.com/

http://www.meritline.com/

http://www.rima.com/

Toast preferences are located within the library in your home folder (the one with the icon of a "House") and not the library in your Macintosh HD.
    If they are not there something is wrong because as soon as you open Toast for the first time it will place a preferences file in there.

15. marquis78

marquis78 Member

Well all of your suggestions have been very helpful and I know I was doing some things wrong. I figured out basically what was the main contributor to my problems. When I was trying to burn DVDs and was getting a problem I was trying to do a lot of other things with my computer and I don't think it could do it all so if I limit it all down, it works just fine every time. Thanks for your help.

16. vickyvixn

vickyvixn Member

Hi, I'm new to ripping and burning too. I have mac the ripper, DVD2oneX, and Toast but I just can't seem to figure it all out. Could somebody help me with this.

17. marquis78

marquis78 Member

What exactly is the problem you're having? Are you having an error in a specific program? Or do you just want to know how to get started??

18. modrich

modrich Member

Hi
    I have just tried Mac the Ripper for the first time. I have a school dvd project to copy. Mac the Ripper ripped the dvd fine and as it all fits on one dvd with no worries can I just let the mac dvd burner do the burning for me? Stick in a blank dvd, copy the audio and video files over and press go. There were photos on the dvd as well.
    Rich

19. marquis78

marquis78 Member

It depends on what kind of DVD you have there. If it's just a data DVD with pictures, documents, etc. then you should just be able to insert the DVD into your computer, drag all the files onto your hard drive and then from there, use iDVD to copy all of the files onto a DVD-R. If it is a movie DVD, then it's a whole other ballgame and you need programs like DVD2ONEX and Toast to finish the job.