1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can A DVD Burnt on a Mac Be Read on a PC?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by kleppto, Jun 7, 2005.

1. kleppto

kleppto Member

I have several Disks DVD movies & PS2 Games that my pc wont recognize as disks? But they play fine on my DVD player & my PS2!My pet theory is that they were burnt with a mac & thats why the PC wont read them. Am i Crazy or just Uneducated in the Mac world?

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

The OS or platform wouldn't make a difference as long as you burned it correctly in the UDF format.

Sounds like a media issue to me. If it plays on your DVD player and not your peecee, then maybe it's your peecee as well...

3. kleppto

kleppto Member

I have tried them on several different pc's with sa,e result. Windows explorer wont even see that there is a disk in the drive?

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Does it play on a regular dvd player?

Did you try a different brand of media?

5. kleppto

kleppto Member

[bold]As I said at the top of the tread the 3 disks in question work fine on any DVD player or PS2(Modded)....[/bold]

6. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

And as I said, TRY DIFFERENT MEDIA!

7. kleppto

kleppto Member

[bold]See Thats the Problem, The media in question is what i'm trying to back up!![/bold] But thanks for your opinion......

8. vantrells

vantrells Member

after reading all of this i gave the disk "national treasure" that i backed up (taiyo yuden media) to my brother who is a pc with windows guy and he said that it played just fine on his dell laptop and through his crazy homemade pc that runs his projector. just like media guru said, i burned them in the UDF format using toast on a mac, so i would have to say that it's not something to do with it being burned on a mac. i have had disks that i've burned that can't be recognized by older dvd players. i had 2 different friends that said they couldn't play my dvd's and after they both put them in newer players the disks were fine. also, my playstation2 just about can't play anything anymore, only store bought dvds.

i also agree with media guru and think it's kind of a media issue. some players just do not like certain brands of media. it's not that it was a bad burn or your pc's dvd player stinks, it just might not like "that" brand of dvd. just for fun, whoever burned it... just try some different media, and if it still doesn't play....well then just put it in that same mysterious category as easter island or stonehenge. maybe aliens burned those disks. funny stuff.md

9. kleppto

kleppto Member

[bold]Thats what i'm going to do! I may not be able to back up the disks in question but I gave it my best shot! I have to return them to my friend As he wants to play Gran Tourismo 4 (One of the disks). The Media in question were stamped (Not Burnt)& purchased in the Philippines. My friend lent them to me to see If i could back them up for him. Thanks everyone for your views & Information. I learnt a lot (Just Not what The F#@king problem is) He He![/bold]

10. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

The Philipenes? Oh....that is probably most of the problem. I bet that's an illegal stamped copy.

11. kleppto

kleppto Member

Reply to thread: Can A DVD Burnt on a Mac Be Read on a PC?

[bold]
    Now Now MediaGuru Not all my Filipino Bretheren are Pirates! But more than Likely 99.9% Yes. But many of the other disks from The Philippines have no problem being backed up![/bold]