1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I burn a Blu-Ray to a DVD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by taylor001, Apr 2, 2008.

1. ntblood

ntblood Member

Thanks Ryu. H264 codec, what uses that, is it what RipBot uses? I see x264 in the tools folder of RipBot. I have a 61" TV and want to get the best quality. I downloaded MeGUI with x264 and when I open the GUI I don't see how you import the file you want to recode.
    Well, I want to write to a BD-R. After ripping the disk the movie/feature m2ts is 20GB. So you say recoding is not necessary. Burning that directly would be the best quality right? And if I don't care about getting the audio down to only one track can I skip the tsmuxer as well and go straight to ImgBurn? The audio is in the m2ts file so the I am judging the size to fit on the disk is correct, right? I'd like to add one extra content m2ts video on the bd-r and the total of the two m2ts files is less than 24 GB.
    On a different topic: Is there a way to keep the menu or is that complicated?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

H264 is one of the three codecs that are supported within the Blu-ray standard. The other two are VC-1 and MPEG2. MPEG2 is an older codec and nowhere near as efficient as H264 and VC-1. VC-1 is heavily guarded with Microsoft licensing and as such is not as widely supported. So this leaves us with H264 as the codec of choice for re-encoding for Blu-ray. MeGUI needs AVIsynth to frameserve video. This is my personal choice for encoding as it offers far more control over the x264 codec compared to RipBot264. If you would like to learn more about advanced Blu-ray/H264 encoding visit the links in my signature.

You need tsMuxeR to re-author your single M2TS file into a correct Blu-ray disc structure. You can not simply burn the 20GB M2TS fils as is. It will need to be re-muxed so that the various information files included in the Blu-ray structure folders contain the correct information. At this point there is no freeware option that I am aware of that will allow you to include menus. Also multiple titles is not possible with tsMuxeR. If you want to achieve things like this you will need to use commercial software like Sonic Scenarist or Adobe Premiere Pro etc.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  3. deanb1234

deanb1234 Member

Ryu77,

I am also interested in converting a blue ray movie to a standard dvd. I have a ps3 with linux on it and was going to create an iso of the bd movie and transfer it to my pc with anydvd and clone dvd on it.

Thanks in advance.

Dean

4. comnew

comnew Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2008
  5. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

WEB11, sasha717 & deanb1234...

I just want to clarify... You want to convert a Blu-ray disc to a standard DVD Video Disc? Not Blu-ray to AVCHD (mini Blu-ray disc using DVD media)?

I am also assuming that all of you are from a NTSC video region (unlike myself who lives in Australia, therefore uses PAL)?

Ok, here are the steps. If further clarification is needed, please let me know which step/s you require more assistance with.

1) Rip Blu-ray disc with AnyDVD HD.

2) Locate the main movie file which is usually the largest M2TS file in folder BDMV/STREAM/. Then demux audio (choose highest quality possible, ie: PCM, TrueHD, DTS HD) and also create a video only M2TS file with tsMuxeR. Save these into a seperate project folder.

3) Frameserve with AviSynth using the following script...

DirectShowSource("D:\YourBluray.m2ts")

4) Re-encode video with a decent MPEG2 encoder. Cinema Craft Encoder or TMPGEnc are two that I use. Both of these offer full motion search (slow) encoding with plenty of advanced controls.

5) Re-encode multi channel audio to 448Kbs Dolby Digital (AC3) with EAC3to.

All of this software can be found on this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  6. tinner45

tinner45 Member

I thought DvdFab platium would burn Blu-Ray disc to dvd. Doesn't dvdfab have HD/Blu-Ray?
    Tinner

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't think that DVDFab works with Blu-Ray at all. DVDFab HD Decrypter was supposed to be able to rip HD DVD and Blu-Ray, but I think that it worked with varying success. As far as I know AnyDVD HD is the only reliable way to decrypt Blu-Ray.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  8. tinner45

tinner45 Member

Dvdfab Platium is suppose to have HD/Blu-Ray decrypter in it, And anydvd too. For some reson Narnia Blu-ray disc doesn't show-up in my burnner. I even tried tsMuxerGui. Nothing picks it up.
    Tinner

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Download a trial trial version of AnyDVD HD and then use their built in ripper and I bet you'll get it. Computers will also have issues with HDCP compliance and only compliant HDCP hardware or AnyDVD HD will fix that.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  10. deanb1234

deanb1234 Member

Awesome, thanks for the info I will try it out soon.

Thanks again
    Dean

11. saxovts

saxovts Member

guys im in need for some help on this. i have a mkv bluray movie 1080p which is about 7.50 gigs now its impossible to just put that on a normal dvd 5 disc. Now i have got Gotsent and tsmuxer but i really dont know what to do. Ive actualy made this and done exactly how he shows you in this video.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ho0qbGy_4P0

but my files are to big for normal dvd.

Is there anyway after i did this step in this video to get it to fit on disc with no quality loss what so ever.

I very much appreciate if anyone's got a video or pic or info to help me and out and other wanting to know how to do this.

Many thanks

12. 3456

3456 Guest

a little help needed here guys please followed your settings etc my result was i got a little choppy video with some glitches in there and audio that was out of synch.that apart the video looks absolutely perfect.what could i be doing wrong.your help would be very much appreciated.

ps im converting mkv to avchd

13. helitac

helitac Member

hi all ...can any one tell me if you can play a blue ray dvd on a regular dvd vhs combo player...
    also what the best dvd disk to burn on blue ray the -dl or -re if i have it right? i have all engines to burn just want to learn somethink new here thanks

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No you can't. To play a blu-ray disc you need a Blu-Ray player whether PC based or standalone. Copying a BD disc to a single or dual layer DVD dic still requires BD structure. The structure is the major determining factor and not the media that it is stored on, but it still requires a reader that can read Blu-Ray.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What are you playing it back on?

16. bkm30

bkm30 Member

"hi all ...can any one tell me if you can play a blue ray dvd on a regular dvd vhs combo player..."

.......Hi, and no, you cant play a bluray movie in a standard dvd player unless you convert the bluray movie to dvd format...but that would be pointless cause it would then just be standard dvd resolution.

....I see you were already answered while I was typing....

Take care

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

bkm30

You did mention that a BD disc can be converted to mpeg2 which I didn't, and which will also work so still a good answer.

18. mtouset

mtouset Member

I’m simply trying to burn a 1080P movie onto a 25GBD. The guidance you all provide is hard for me to follow after I RIP the Disk to a file using ANYDVDHD. I tried TSMUXER with a resulting file of 34,248,642KB in the BDMV folder . Then I tried RIPBOT264. I have no idea what happened there but I didn’t see a resulting file. The software did not allow me to make any change and/or selections. Can you post the abc’s from ripping to buring in simple terms. I believe I have the required software pieces, but after ripping the disk, I’m stuck. Which piece of software is next with the settings, and which one follows with the settings. Again…step by step please. Regards Mtouset

19. dazone

dazone Member

mtouset

very easy to make a 1080p onto a bdr-25gb disk

use anydvd hd
    then use ripbot. it will tell you it needs 2 programs to use with it,with a link to get the files.

use ripbot- add the movie file. let it do its magic for like 20-30 min. its going to tsmux the audio

then the final options will appear. option/copy stream. make sure you check blue ray. i left all the other options alone. it can take 5hours and 12 hours for movies over 2hours...

then drag and drop the 2 folders with imgburn build mode.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  20. mtouset

mtouset Member

thank you. I now have two ways to make a 1080P BD. I will try your recommended method in the following days. I am currently using BD-Rebuider which is working, but it takes 16-18 hours for one movie as advertised and expected. I hope your recommended method does complete the BDR in 20-30min as you say. However, I don't think that I'll receive Blu-Ray 1080P quality in that short of a time. We'll see.