1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I burn a Blu-Ray to a DVD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by taylor001, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

mtouset, dazone was referring to the demultiplexing of the audio stream that will take 20 - 30 minutes.

Re-encoding 1080p video with any H264 encoder is going to take a long time. H264 is one of the most complex encoders available today which is why it is so efficient. That being said, decoding and encoding with this codec is going to be quite heavy on any CPU.

With the method I use (MeGUI & x264), I set-up the encoder to have very high quality settings (I use high motion search parameters, slowest subpixel refinement decisions, Max reference & B-frames, slowest B-frame decisions etc. etc.) and it still takes my overclocked Quad Core (Q6600 @ 3.2GHz) about 12 - 16 hours for a movie. I could lower the settings to complete the movie in about 6 hours or less but I want the very best quality.

Note: Remember most of the other Blu-ray encoding applications (BD Rebuilder, RipBot264 etc.) use x264 in the background. With the method I use (MeGUI as my frontend), full control of the x264 encoder is available. This may seem daunting at first but upon learning the intricisies of this encoder, the results are well worth it. The quality and speed is far better than any other method I have tried. If you want to get started with this method, I have pre-set profiles available on this thread. There are 4 quality levels available for both BD-5/BD-9 (AVCHD) and Blu-ray.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. mtouset

mtouset Member

RYU77. You have been one of he best resources I've had the pleasure of dealing with on AFTERDAWN. I was dealing with you many months ago, but you got too busy in building the Blu_ray guide. I have already tried RipBot and of, course you're right, it takes for ever. I can handle forever if the processing is well explained. I would like to try your method, I need a more layman's explaination. I don't believing in experimenting on a process that is already proven. To clarify, I would like to tryout your method if you would kindly outline the process step-by-step and assume that I know nothing. Thank-you. BTW did you ever complete your guide. I downloading one guide that alluded to you your name, but not as the author. Anyway I have always tried to understand all your previous threads, even if you explained yourself a thousand time. If you're willing to take the time explain the process that you use (in layman's terms), I would greatly appreacciate. The only way I can assist the participants is to relay the experienance of my attempt(s). Regards Mike Touset

3. qdoggy

qdoggy Member

This is on the same topic, but different question. I have some MKV's that are DVD sized already and seems like they were meant to burn to DVD and watch on a Blu-ray player. Everytime I encode them with tsMuxer they are too big to fit on a standard DVD-5. I think because of the extra files it makes when it sets up the Blu-ray file structure. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a was of cutting out the extra files and getting the size down to fit on a DVD-5 Disc? Otherwise why would all these mkv's being out there that can't be burned to DVD? Thanks in advance for you assistance.

4. Hard

Hard Member

There is no way to simply remove files from the mkv file to make it smaller so it will fit on dvd. They are put out there at that size for people who want to watch them on their computers or burn them to a dvd still in the mkv container. Of course most players won't play those discs. In order for you to get it to a size so that you can play it in a standalone blu-ray player, you'll need to re-encode the video. See this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

It contains all the information necessary to take those mkv files you have and encode them to fit onto a disc that will play in a standalone player.

5. Hard

Hard Member

Actually now that I think of it, there is a way to make the mkv file a size small enough to fit onto a disc without re-encoding. You could convert the audio to a smaller size. But, my previous post links you to the thread to be able to do this as well. Just thought i'd share the option with you.

6. qdoggy

qdoggy Member

Ok, thanks. I guess I figured that was going to be the case, I was hoping I was missing something when I try to burn them and they would not fit. I wasn't talking about removing files from the mkv file. I was wondering if some extra files were created while making the blu ray file structure that could be modified or removed. I also was wondering if maybe I was burning it correctly or maybe missing something. I used to burn 800mb SVCD movies to a 700mb CD for example and it somehow worked so I was wondering if there was something similar to this.

7. Hard

Hard Member

Yea, the files it adds is to make it compliant so that it will play in a standalone bluray player. So if you remove those files you just make it right back to a MKV that will not play on a standalone. The PS3 will play the MKV files as far as I know, no extra files needed. But as far as I know, this isn't similar at all to the SVCD days. Only way to do it is to re-encode the video, or chop the audio down.

8. sagiwong

sagiwong Guest

i recommend this blu-ray dvd ripper, special for rip blu-ray dvd to general dvd. i've tried it, it's not bad. Share for you.
    http://www.i'manidiot.com edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2009
  9. tinner45

tinner45 Member