1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant Play VCD MPG?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Sinexo, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Sinexo

Sinexo Member

I extracted the MPG file out of a BIN file with isobuster and i cant seem to play it. I think i may need a codec but i am not sure, if anyone can help me with this that would be great.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

If this is a VCD Bin file then you do not need any special Decoders to Play it as Media Player has a Built in Mpeg1 decoder...The file just might be Corrupted...

3. cahiba

cahiba Member

I had this problem and couldn’t find a solution until now.

For the people who haven’t used TAR or RAR files I’ll start from the basics.

Once you’ve downloaded the TAR or RAR file, extract it with a program called WINRAR.

You’ll end up with a whole lot of smaller files.

Click on any one of these to start the next extraction process.

If you get a screen saying it needs to start with the ‘.r00’ file then you need to find this file.

Most of the files will have the same name until you see the ‘hidden extension’.

To do this go to the top of the opened windows folder then go to:

‘tools’….’folder options’…..’view’…..and uncheck ‘hide extensions for known file types’.

Now open the ‘.r00’ file.

Once all the files have been extracted you might end up with a simple video file you can play straight away.

If not then you will probably end up with a CUE file and a BIN file.

If you end up with a CUE file and a BIN file then you need to burn the BIN file to a disc first.

Use something like NERO.

In NERO, go to 'recorder' then 'burn image'.

Then open the file on the disc with a media player that will play DVD-format (MPEG2) files, like PowerDVD.

This is the important part as it will not play in something like Windows Media Player (at least it didn’t for me and I had all the necessary codecs installed) even though the file has an MPEG extension!

I could play my original DVD discs using Windows Media Player but not downloaded BIN video files that I extracted and burned to disc.

If you try to simply extract the BIN file to your hard drive then try to play it with a program like PowerDVD, it won't play.

Hope this helps.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

First of all, I would like how did you "extract" a MPEG. If its name is AVSEQ01.MPG and it comes from the D:\MPEG2 directory, it's a 'ripped riff file' and NOT a 'True .MPG'.
    You should convert it to a 'true MPEG', first (I use VCDEasy-->Tools--->MPEG Utilities--> Cdxa2mpeg). Probably there's a similar command in the freeware VCDGear, but I have a registered version of VCDEasy and I never learned to use VCDGear.
    Second, last WMP can play the 'ripped riff files', but maybe you have an old version of a player.
    Third, after you converted the 'ripped riff file' into a 'True MPG' you can make a SVCD (with VCDEasy, for example, or with watever you like) but, unless you have the M2V codec for TMPGenc, NOT a VCD, because by default TMPGenc can only load MPEG-1 files, not MPEG-2 files.
    Read the 'sticky' thread to learn how to do it.

5. cahiba

cahiba Member

When I said I was 'extracting' the MPEG file I meant just from the actual RAR or TAR file.

My Windows Media Player is v10 (the latest) but it still wouldn't play the file.

I didn't know that the extracted file was actually an MPEG file with a DAT header and that it needs to be converted to a 'True' MPEG file.

I tried VCDEasy to convert the extracted BIN file to a 'true' MPEG file but as it was only a trial version it was limited in how much I could process.

So I tried VCDGear instead using:

'Extraction/Conversion' then 'cue/bin -> mpeg'.

This worked fine.

I also found another two posts that suggested using Isobuster to extract the BIN file to a 'true' mpeg file:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/80466

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/102581

This also worked perfectly as I can play the resulting file in Windows Media Player with no trouble.

I also followed your advice regarding making an SVCD.

I have TMPGEnc and the M2V Codec installed but for some reason it wasn't loading as I found out in the 'Environmental Settings' tab.

I re-installed it and it was fine.

Thanks for all your help.

It's very much appreciated.

It makes my original post to solving the problem 'long winded' and useless.