1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing video on imac

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by kirstenh, May 7, 2010.

1. kirstenh

kirstenh Member

Hi- I've connected my camcorder to my imac using firewire to capture in final cut express many times before. I'm trying again and now it says that no video device is selected and I must do this in the capture presets but as far as I can tell final cut express only has those easy set ups and not a audio/ visual settings area. There is no communication with the camera at all. I tried to capture through imovie but the only option it gives me is through the imac's built in camera. I have captured using a camera through imovie previously as well. It's as if there is an overriding setting on the mac to use the built in camera or ignore the firewire input but again I can't find any setting that may have done this.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!!

2. macsilent

macsilent Member

Hi Kirstenh,
    I do not have a lot of experience with capturing but I had the same problem using Premiere Pro. The cam is from Sony and that type can't be recognized. I did succeed to capture using iMovie. After capturing I could use the data in Premiere.
    I don't know if this can help,
    greetings

3. djhotwhee

djhotwhee Member

I just went through the same issues. Do you have any Firewire devices hooked up externally? If so, disconnect them and plug the camera directly to the mac. The check under the apple icon in the menu, click on about this mac, then check firewire hardware. See if the camera appears. If not, disconnect all Firewire devices, reset mac, plug back in and try.

If nothing else works you may have a bad firewire port.