1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Drive Won't Open and Light Is Coming on When no Disc is in Drive

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by 1Tizz, Aug 21, 2008.

1. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

One thing with Vista if you current programs are not fairly new, you will have to buy new ones that are compatible with Vista. If you know when you downloaded service pack3 then use system restore and roll back your pc to the day before and if SP3 was culprit, then everything will be like it used to be. Then turn off automatic updates for XP.

Edit: In regards to moving web sites in browsers google that it's fairly easy.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

Im not exactly sure if serv pack 3 had anything to do
    with the issue's I am having or not but my Dvd-rom was working fine until that point,As for the Cd-Rom it has been acting up for awhile.

As for the programs on my desktop,Im talking about programs such as Dvd shrink,Dvd fab etc.Will they work with Vista on my new pc??

When I tried to roll back my Pc to another day,for some reason it would not allow me to roll it back at all no matter what date I chose so im not sure what caused that either.At any rate,I picked up my New Pc today but haven't set it up yet.I was trying to find out about saving my folders before doing a system restore on my old pc.

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Are you using Norton Internet Security? if so, you have to turn it off to use system restore. NIS dirty little secret they are not proud of.

4. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

No I don't use Norton,Can't stand it... I use Symantec Anti Virus.
    I was also reading a thread on here and saw the AdAware and Spybot info so I thought I would doownload them for curiosity and AdAware found 203 things so I removed them.I have never used either of those but I think I will use them on my new Pc for sure.
    I am going to download Spybot next. By the way,Are the things that these programs detect Virus's or what exactly??

5. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

Oh almost forgot,I tried google for trying to find info on
    how to transfer my Fav floders but found it a bit confusing
    as to how to do it.Maybe I didn't find a good thread or something.
    Do you know of any??

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

For Internet Explorer your favourites should be in a folder such as C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Favorites, you can just copy/paste the Favorites folder to somewhere else. For other browsers the links would be elsewhere.

If it was me i'd banish Norton/Symantec from any pc you have. A proper paid product you can use that won't interfere is Mcafee virusscan which i've used for many years without incident. However there are very good free alternatives, one of which is AVG Free. Another is avast though i haven't used that one much myself, have only recently replaced Mcafee with AVG Free on my machines. Was going to try avast next but only if AVG wasn't good enough.

Spybot & Ad-aware are good, they pick up cookies that may be up to no good and other pests. Another good one is ccleaner.

Here's a thread on AVG Free that's been popular recently - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/693124

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Creaky

you take over here. I've got pressing problems here with Gustav and will have no power in 24 hrs.

9. creaky

garmoon - you take it easy there young fella, stay safe. Keep us posted.

10. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

Thanks Garmoon for all of your help,It has been most appreciated...
    I hope everything is ok were ever you are close to Gustav!!

Creaky-I hope yu dont mind helping me out now??

Ok I used to have AVG and had nothing but problems with it because it
    wasn't catching the virus's so I won't use it again.I got Symantec from a Computer Tech friend of mine who said it was better then AVG,However I had no idea it was the same as Norton.

Anyway,As I told Garmoon....I bought a New Pc which I haven't hooked up yet because I was trying to find out about how to transfer my fav folder to my new pc without losing it all.I have no way of backing up anything because both my drives in my current/old Pc are not working after using them for 6yrs.Rather then replacing the drives and maybe still having issue's,I decided to be a much better Pc with alot more room and extra's except that it has Vista instead of XP :(

I want to do a factor restore on this Pc before hooking up my New Pc so thats why I was waiting until I found out how to save certain things. So your saying that all I have to do is save the link to my fav's like you stated above to an email and then when I hookup my new pc I can still use them??
    Thanks

11. creaky

If you don't have somewhere (separate from the pc) to store the favourites try zipping them up (they'll be very small files) with a free trial of winrar or winzip or whatever, then try emailing them to yourself. Just check they have been sent though as some email programs/services block zip files

12. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

Well I have 7-Zip! SO how do I go about doing that?Im not real technical when it comes to stuff like that...Sorry. I know some but not enough of the technical stuff.

Also,WHen I hookup my New Pc will I have to download new updates for it or will it already have the most recent updates etc? And what is your opinion of Vista if you have and use it??
    Thanks

13. creaky

I haven't used 7-zip in years so don't remember offhand.
    As to Vista, i don't/won't use it. Until last year all of my machines were really old, hence i would only use XP and Linux, so as to get the most performance out of my machines. Now i have a few Dual Core and even a Quad core machine, but still i stick to XP and Linux. FOr the same reasons plus i don't/won't apply any Microsoft updates to my machines to stop them sneaking in anti-copying etc code into any machines.
    My machines are all more than powerful enough to run Vista, i just find that XP works for everything i need, Linux also caters for everything, Vista is just not necessary for everyone as far as i'm concerned. If i had software that would only work under Vista then i'd find other software that would work under XP, or find a Linux equivalent.

Which brings me on to Windows Updates - i have only (mistakenly) allowed Windows Updates on any of my machines twice now, and both times the Windows installations played up, so Windows was reinstalled both times. I just don't want or need any of their updates, i use XP Professional SP2 with NO updates applied since SP2 came out. I have been running trouble free for many years this way.

Others will suggest applying all updates, i do keep all other software updated, just not Windows itself. It's up to you how you deal with updates, those are just my (strong!) opinions on the matter.

14. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

Well that was the only thing that made me hesitant on buying a New Pc was because of the Vista. I guess I could un-install Vista and add XP to it. My Cd-Rom had been acting up for awhile but my Dvd-Rom didn't start acting up at least that I noticed until Windows did an update with Service pack 3. And since im not real computer technical etc and the fact that I had been told that I should invest in a new Pc I decided to buy 1.

I always thought that if you didn't have the automotic updates that your Pc wouldn't work properly,there again im no expert with any of it lol. I only use my Pc for playing games,surfing,doing movies and email. Ive heard alot of ppl say they like Vista then some say Not so its a mixed bag. I guess I will see once I get it hooked up.

15. 1Tizz

1Tizz Regular member

You know since I ran Ad-Aware and Spybot I thought i would check my Dvd-Rom drive and now its working!! My Cd-Rom still is not working but now im wondering if I should of even bought a new Pc :( As much as I wanted a New Pc I could of just bought a New drive but....

Would something that these programs found cause my Dvd-Rom to stop working the way it did? Now im wondering if I even need to do a factory restore on my Old Pc if I plan on keeping it in my closet??
    Im so confused right now....