1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-RW not reading any discs....

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by trinity69, Jun 3, 2007.

1. trinity69

trinity69 Guest

Quite a while back, my CD-RW drive decided to stop reading CD's I would put into it. It's this type: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B.

For some oddball reason, I could still rip them into a file on my computer, and I could still burn CD's (unless it flakes out, which it's done recently too). It just doesn't want to read a music disc at all. Now it will only recognize and play and rip the very first music CD put into the CD-RW slot after having the driver uninstalled and reinstalled. When I switch music CD's it tells me I don't have a disc in the drive at all.

It is recognized by the system, and on the device manager information it says that it's working properly. I've done the troubleshooter, but of course no help there at all.

I had read another thread here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/165204 and I tried uninstalling the driver for it and doing the hardware wizard for reinstall. And then I tried deleting the reg keys it suggested, and that didn't get it back in working order either.

I'm out of ideas on how to fix this thing! Help!

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

possibly it needs, er, um, replacing?

3. trinity69

trinity69 Guest

I don't believe so. Last night I uninstalled Roxie Easy CD creator 5 Basic and this morning I decided to reinstall it.

I put in the disc for it and it read the information off of the disc in the CD-RW drive.

After completing the install and the updates install for it, I tried a music CD and got nothing again.

Tried uninstalling the driver for the CD-RW again and reinstalling and got nothing again. It won't recognize a music CD, not even to rip it to my computer, but it will recognize the Roxio program disc?!?!?!

It just makes no sense. I've got to be missing something here, just can't figure out what.

My next step, and last resort I think, is to take the computer out of my desk and open it up, disconnect all the cables and then reconnect it and put it back together to see if that works. I'm doubtful but there is nothing else I can think of to do. Nothing else I have found as far as suggestions either.

I know it functions, it's just getting it to recognize music CD's again I'm having issues with and I don't believe that should require replacement of the unit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  4. trinity69

trinity69 Guest

One bump for any other suggestions.....thanks.