1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-RW

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by darshan, Apr 18, 2003.

1. darshan

darshan Member

Hi,
    Firstly I certainly did try searching for a thread which would give me information regarding the current best cd-rw`s in the market. However I did find one thread, but that was like a yr old !!..So was wondering if you guyz can tellme which few brands of CD-RW would be advisable to buy ?
    Cheers !_X_X_X_X_X_[small]darshan damania
    www.idea4media.com[/small]

2. OhSoS

OhSoS Member

verbatim appears to be the only company making "ultra-speed" (16-24x) CDRW at the time.
    however, the drive must be rated as "ultra-speed"; "high-speed" (4-10x) is not sufficient.
    i've seen a few companies that make high-speed media.

it also seems that ultra-speed media is extremely hard to find.
    the store i work at happens to stock it, so it works out well (except i need a new burner that is ultra-speed capable).

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

4. OhSoS

OhSoS Member

yeah, if you notice the forum is "CD-R"; there isn't even a CD-RW forum at all.

and what's with the Mt. Rainier (CR-MRW?) format?
    they've been talking about this for quite some time, yet i haven't seen it anywhere.

5. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

If I notice? It's my forum. Okay, forum renamed to CD-R(W)Forum, you wiseass ;)

Mt.Rainier is a new standard packet writing format for CD-RWs, which enables discs used in similar way than with DirectCD, InCD & other packet writing softwares.

6. Nuubie

Nuubie Guest

um.......ok. Well this is my first question and depending on the replies it may be my last. I'm new here and I just started burning movies on my harddrive. I was told by a friend that I can take them off my hardrive and put them on CD-RW's. Is this true? If so I just want to know what particular brands of CD-RW's should I buy and can I use my CD Burner to do it? My Cd Burner is 40x12x48x....whatever that means! lol

7. darshan

darshan Member

eh, why would you want to make permanent copies of your movies on a cd-rw rather than a cd-r ? As incase of a cd-rw you can erase and re-write on it repeatedly !!..I would rather ask you to record your movies on cd-r ; and as for the brands of the best cd-r`s I would suggest you to go and look here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/12824

8. OhSoS

OhSoS Member

yeah, the only reason to use CDRW is if you plan on erasing the disc and or adding more information to it.
    if you just want to put movies on CD to get them off your HDD, use CD-R, as there won't be any reason to erase them from the CDs.
    i've been using a single (4x) CDRW for a few weeks transfering files to and from work.
    works just like a floppy disk (Win XP is great for this).

9. Nuubie

Nuubie Guest

lol....you know what? Sometimes listening to friends can cost you money! When I went to Bestbuy to purchase my "CD-RW's" ,I asked a store worker first and he told me the same thing you guys just told me! Soooo...... I ended up purchasing a 50-pack of CD-R's for $.99! (had a $15 rebate!) Lucky me huh? I have burned over 50 movies now and I'm on a roll, thanx! This is my next question....can I turn them into DVD's somehow or no? If not how can I make DVD's?

10. darshan

darshan Member

No you cannot turn them into a dvd !! Inorder to make a DVD you need a DVD writer and a dvd-r...(but this does not mean you can rip a .avi to a dvd).

11. Nuubie

Nuubie Guest

um...........ty.

12. vortex

vortex Member

I´ve sust seen a Memorex branded ultra-speed (16-24x) cd-rw made by infodisc.
    Most interesting is, that the price is more or less same as 4x Verbatim or TDK branded cd-rw-s

13. westie999

westie999 Guest

Hi guys can you help me with this,

I am quite new to DVD Burning. My question is, I recently purchased a Dell P4 with Sonic 4 DVD software. I am burning home movies from my camcorder to DVD-RW. The thing is when I go to edit or re-write over the DVD it is protected. I think the DVD is been finalized by the software. I have tried to remove this but to no avail. Has anyone had a similar problem? I have tried to contact Sonic solutions but having difficulty getting registered. Also if the DVD-RW is finalized is there any way around this.

Thanks