1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Configuring new build with Rebuilder/CCE focus

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by teflonmyk, Oct 4, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can relate. I suppose you wouldn't be too pleased if I told you my Linux command line server has an X2 4200+ with 2GB of RAM in it. I'm well aware it's utter overkill, but they're the parts I used to use in my gaming PC, no point wasting them!

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

An update - am loving this machine more the more i use it; still haven't overclocked it (very much doubt i will be now, no point), am now seeing just how powerful this CPU is.. Am running DVD Rebuilder (with HC Encoder 0.22 thus all 4 cores are going full pelt), DVD Flick and ConvertXtoDVD together (with all fans on minimum) and still the machine is very responsive (and quite cool - it's very chilly in here today so the machine is running cooler than usual); haven't yet used TheFilmMachine on this PC so will be installing/configuring that next (with HC Encoder).

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha nice - as someone who doesn't edit video or rip DVDs at all, you can understand how I wouldn't know what to do with a quad core...

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

creaky,
    Good to here the NEW PC is operating like it should... I've got mine to about 3.78Mhz now and it's frikkin fast. lol. E6850 cpu btw. ;)

What are your times out of curiosity with DVD RB Pro?? I haven't ran it yet but I'm about to this weekend. Been trying to get everything in order... ;)

good luck to you......

...gm

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, tried running Stalker with my graphics card overclocked - it got a bit hot (95C) and started producing errors, so I had to up my fan speed... :(
    I'll see how the game runs on my 3870, who knows I may not even need to overclock it!

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Hey GM, i haven't been checking times with the very latest version of DVD-RB (paid for it via paypal a few nights ago, a measly £15 which is $30 dollars approx - way cheaper than overpriced gumpf like AnyDVD, but i digress) as i've been running it alongside the other programs; normally my times are insanely fast, ie like here - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/335628/3628341

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

That's nice creaks!! I bought DVD RB Pro about a year ago I guess. Heck for $30 I couldn't see NOT buying it. lol. Get all the updates and everything!!! :D

I'll have to do a proper encode soon to see how fast this thing really is. :D

happy encoding and burning to you!! ;)

...gm

8. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Finally making the jump... Q6600, Zalman 9700, and Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 on the way!!!!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A CNPS9700? How much did that thing set you back?

10. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not too bad I suppose. I've become a bit of thermalright fanboy of late, since you can get big time cooling performance with quiet, slow fans. If noise doesn't bother you though, I suppose there's no reason to avoid Zalmans.

12. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

I was initially gonna use my Raidmax Smilodon case, and I didn't have enough clearance for the thermalright, thermaltake, or tuniq without removing the fan on the window. I have now ordered an Antec 900. The noise won't matter because whenever I am in my office, I am usually bumping tunes anyway...

13. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

I have now ordered Antec 900 case, Antec Neopower 650 psu, Q6600, Zalman 9700, Gigabyte EP35-DS4, SeaGate 250 GB HDD to go with Plextor 760, Pioneer 112, Seagate 80 GB SATA HDD for OS, SeaGate 400 GB SATA HDD, SeaGate 500 GB SATA HDD, Hauppauge 350 tuner card from the rig in my sig. I have a few old burners lying around. I may just order another video card and keep the old rig fully functional. I don't game, so, it won't be expensive to get another videocard...