1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conversion of MP4 to M2TS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by ckwan, Jan 25, 2010.

1. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

No, the AudioExtractor is a free version

http://www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm

I am not sure what you mean by "file conversion only".
    Very very seldom I recommend a pay for software, no matter what the task, there's always a great free application that can do the job.
    [​IMG]
    When you install the program, you have a choice of installing the basic free version, or the Platinum one that has some extra junk;you can get that and everything more in Audacity (FREE as well, and will convert also AAC to AC3, just need ffmpeg installed):
    [​IMG]
    This would be a good buy:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/19893.cfm

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. ckwan

ckwan Member

You are right. It looks like the basic version is sufficient to do what I need to do for now. But the output format is still quite limited.

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Then all you have to do is get Audacity and have ffmpeg for Audacity installed. Then you can convert from to whatever format you want, you can even map your own channels. All for no cost.

4. ckwan

ckwan Member

Would this convert subtitles also? I put my video source (in MKV format) through the tsMUXeR last night and I found that the output that I got (in M2TS) format had lost all the subtitles. Still trying to figure out how to fix this problem.

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Audacity is only for audio processing.

I think you need to have the subtitle in srt format. You might have to extract it fro the MKV and convert it to srt.

6. sesuna

sesuna Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
  7. ckwan

ckwan Member

After reading your comment on the srt, I went back to take a look at my source videos and I found that they all came in pairs. Each pair consists of an MKV file with the audio and video and another srt file with the subtitle. So I put both of them into the tsMUXeR and defined the output to be M2TS. After the program completed running (with no error), I played the output file with the 321 player. There was no subtitle. However, when I placed the srt file alongside with this output file in the same folder and played it again with the 321 player, the subtitle showed up. Apparantly, tsMUXeR did not do the job of muxing the subtitle and the video. Is there something that I am missing here? Any comment would be appreciated.

8. scum101

scum101 Guest

9. ckwan

ckwan Member

Still working on the subtitle problem but running into another problem. I was trying to combine 2 m2TS files into one bigger file. I tried tsMUXeR and it didn't work. Can you suggest a program that can do this?

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Are you trying to "append" the two files? Do you have a video that's in two parts?

11. ckwan

ckwan Member

Yes, I actually have about 35 such videos each of size 1GB which I want to put on blank DVD's. I finally found a software called MKVMerge from the blu-ray conversion kit which can append MKV files (don't know about srt files yet). So far, I have experimented putting just one file on a blank DVD using tsMUXeR with output set to AVCHD and then burning the output to DVD using Imgburn. The effect has been excellent and the whole process takes less than one hour. One thing that I don't understand is if you follow the method of this blu-ray conversion guide to encode your video with MeGUI, it's going to take you days (as suggested by the Guide) to complete your project. If there is an easier way to do it, what is the benefit of using the MeGUI?

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The "easy" methods are used when the streams are compliant and need no re-encoding. MeGui is used if the video needs to be re-encoded, and it only going to take days if you have an old computer .

I join my .srt files with Subtitle Workshop.

13. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

ckwan, just so you know the MeGUI package offered in the Blu-ray conversion kit and guide is a little outdated. There have been a few changes since Zathor has taken over development of this application.

You can get a newer version from my thread here along with my updated profiles that were neccessary with the new builds of MeGUI and x264. Look for the "MeGUI with all Encoders & Plugins included" link. This version has still been updated a couple times since but pressing the update button will download all the latest updates from the development server...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

MeGUI need only be used when you have an original Blu-ray as your source and you want a smaller output size, or your MKV file is not Blu-ray compliant. For example: Incorrect resolution (not 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080), or too many reference frames etc.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  14. Chris0745

Chris0745 Member

Why not use the (freeware)MPEG-StreamClip software to convert it to what You need.

You can find it on http://www.squared5.com
    I was looking for some time to get some translation from .ts to ....

With the results of this programm I did stop searching.

Working very quickly.

15. ckwan

ckwan Member

Neither tsMUXeR nor mkvmerge appends files properly. The audio and video components become out of sync after appending particularly significant towards the end of the created file. Can some one suggest a solution to this?

16. Chris0745

Chris0745 Member

The reason why I sticked to the programm MPEG-StreamClip was that for the FIRST time sound and picture were in time.
    I used a dozen programms to check it, and in some you can manually change the
    , but the mentioned programm was doin what it should do.

So the moves in the video were keeping the same pass with the sound after an hour of translating from TS to MPEG.

17. ckwan

ckwan Member

I did follow your link to download MPEGStreamClip. When I tried to open an MKV file, it gave me an open error. The good news is that it did accept the MP4 file. However, it does not have AVCHD or M2TS as an option for output. Can you tell me what choice I should make for export format? My goal is to create AVCHD discs to play on the blu-ray player. Also, can this software accept multiple input files? I have to put three files at a time on a single layer DVD.

18. ckwan

ckwan Member

What version of MPEGStreamclip are you running? I have version 1.2. Is this one up-to-date?

19. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

It would be so much easier if you'd stick with some program and learn it's in and outs.
    Also, stating your purpose more clearly would help. When you said you wanted to "join" your files, I thought you had movies split in different parts.
    If you want to add more than one title to your compilation, try multiAVCHD:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Other-VIDEO-Tools/multiAVCHD.shtml

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143744

Here's a guide:
    http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/tutorial.php

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  20. ckwan

ckwan Member

Thanks for the information.