1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. zacmax

zacmax Member

Thanks, x-user. I have the application already, and it works perfectly. You're the third person on this forum to offer it. What a nice group of folks.

I received my refund from RiverPast. I feel bad about that, since I *am* using their software. true, it's the "obsolete" version, but they were intimidated into removing the .aa conversion feature.

I asked them not to refund my payment, but John Huang did and sent a signed personal note thanking me for making complimentary comments about the older versions.

Unfortunately, RiverPast offers no other software I can use, but I'll check back later.

Dawn

2. JesusC

JesusC Guest

OK, those of you wanting to convert Audible .aa files to any other format (.wav, .mp3, etc.) need to download River Past Audio Converter version 5.0.0 from here: http://winsite.planetmirror.com/win95/audio/audioconverter_setup.exe ; NOT THE LATEST VERSION on the http://www.riverpast.com/ website!

You need ver 5.0.0, not the current version on the riverpast website. It's a trial version which limits you to only 2 mins of converting but you can register the trial version.
    [bold]Seriously folks, support small developers.[/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2006
  3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

JesusC,

In this thread, 4 times in BOLD it says:
    <NOPOSTINGEMAILS@AFTERDAWN.COM>
    READ THE FORUM RULES!!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/b]

And if you would have read the forum rules, you would have seen these rules.

Rule #10. Don't post your email address to the forums! Spambots love dumb forum users who post their email addresses to public sites and grab those addresses and you will soon discover the wonders of penis enlargement kits and other really useful products posted daily to your inbox.

And,

Rule #5. -> PIRACY AND LINKING TO PIRATED MATERIAL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE FROZEN IF YOU DO THIS <-

Case examples regarding rule number five (5). No piracy.

###Case: Pirated material, such as serial numbers and direct links to pirated, copyrighted material (including direct links to torrent files and ed2k links). PROHIBITED ###

Case: Technical, in depth discussion about copy protection circumvention (i.e. cracking). PROHIBITED

Case: Discussion about pirated content and piracy, such as converting (downloaded) video and/or audio files to DVD/AudioCD/whatever format. PERMITTED

Case: Discussion about copy protection circumvention in general (extracting encrypted content, such as DVD movies, compact discs, copy protected console and computer software, using existing software). PERMITTED

Case: Links to sites offering possibly pirated content (including torrent files and ed2k links). PERMITTED

4. barney231

barney231 Guest

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

@barney231

It does not convert AA audio files !

6. clex

clex Member

Greetings everyone, Nice forum. I understand I can convert the aa files to mp3s with the River Past Audio software, but as a neophyte I'm asking why I can't burn these MP3s onto a DVD? I suppose not, but then I wasn't clear (even though it was mentioned above) on how I can split up the aa files into a number of mp3 files.

Last question, I have still to buy an mp3 player and would like a suggestion for the best buy, e.g. great product but last year's model which works just as great at half the price. BTW, is the free digital audio player from Audible.com OK quality? ;)Cheers

7. phenner

phenner Member

Interesting reading and SW available about AA file conversion and MP3 splitting:
    http://home.austin.rr.com/unpocoloco/java/AudioBook/index.html

I've been using it for over a year and it works great. The Goldwave "free trail" usage isn't even close hitting the maximum yet and when it does I will probably pay the $ since I have gotten so much free use out of it.

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

[bold]dBPowerAMP (dMC)[/bold] may or may not convert .aa files. The only reason I think it might is because some of the .aa files out there, sold via iTunes, could be based on .aac apples's "Advanced Audio Compression" format.

Link to dBPowerAMP and other apps
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/127334

.aa I learnd about a new audio format today!
    Ced

9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

dBPowerAMP (dMC)^[bold] cannot [/bold] convert AA files. ! The reason is simple... only River Past had the guts to make a converter then promply quit after version 5.2 cause of a lawsuit and a Court Order..

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That was my mistake. Even if the .aa files being sold by iTunes where based on the AAC format, they whould be DRM protected. dBPowerAMP can't convert protected files.

Sorry,
    Ced

11. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

AA files have nothing in common with Itunes or AAc format -- !

12. diabolos

diabolos Guest

What do you mean by in common? iTunes sells Audio Books for download. I'm sure that any body that sells somthing for download would put thier "Stamp" on it before selling it, especially when there selling it as a download.

Check out the programs attached to the file extension .aa (look at the Program ID list).
    http://www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=aa&goButton=Go

The Audio Book format is versatile,
    Ced

13. phenner

phenner Member

Audible uses encrytion on their aa format that makes conversion to a mp3 format difficult. GoldWave (http://www.goldwave.com/release.php) can open an aa file if you select Open "all files". It will then perform a direct conversion to mp3 format. I have been using this for over a year and only once did I have to perform a little extra low pass filtering (via Goldwave) on a mp3 file after conversion to edit out a little high pitched tone.

14. blco32

blco32 Member

To convert anything to mp3 I use "Sound Capture. You have to listen as it converts but it will convert anything that your sound card will play. I use it a lot when I go into a site that will only let you listen to a song.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  15. phenner

phenner Member

understood ... but some of those aa files are > 7 hours long. It still takes about 10-15 minutes to complete the conversion.

16. blco32

blco32 Member

Yeah, I definitely agree. It is the long files that would be difficult. I don't think I'd go that route either. Lol. Kinda time consuming.

17. pali_432

pali_432 Guest

I have both River Past Audio 5.0.3 (registered) & Goldwave 5.0.8. I have removed my current version of the Audible software and reinstalled with version 3.5 with the Windows Media Player plugin. But I am still having problems converting files.

I have successfully opened a .aa file in River Past once and once only, every other time I have tried i am told: The following files do not contain recognizable audio

I have never been able to open a .aa file with Goldwave and each time I try I am presented with a list of format options to select, no matter what I select I am told: Could not open file. File does not exist or format is not supported.

I would really appreciate any help offered as I want to put all my books on MiniDisc

18. phenner

phenner Member

You need to select "all files" in the format field when opening an aa file ... it will upen it and it can convert it.

19. pali_432

pali_432 Guest

nope phenner thats not it. I have tried both the "All Files" and the "aa Audible files" option. Neither one works thanks for tryin tho. anyone else I would really appreciate a solution.

20. pali_432

pali_432 Guest

I just figured out something else. I am able to open files that I have not yet listened to, but the others are still unopenable. Hope this helps someone come up with a solution. right now I am going to try to delete them and re-download and see what happens.