1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. ChipNoir

ChipNoir Member

I'm having major issues, and I've tried everything. The files play fine on iTunes, but refuse to play on Windows Media Player. And they certainly won't load on any version of Gold Wave I've tried. What am I doing wrong?

2. kkaudible

kkaudible Member

Linkvoid & Beta- you two are the MIX! (That's a good thing) Now that i got it to work, I realize THAT IT EVEN WORKS MUCH FASTER THAT ANY PROGRAM I EVER HAD. SWEET! THANK YOU. I think its unfair that Audible keeps trying to block us from converting to mp3. After all, I did pay for the book. They allow us to copy to multiple cds why not the one? Im sorry but i dont have the 10 or 12 cds it will take to copy all my unabridged books. And I for one hate I-tunes. My car stereo is an mp3 player without any extra crap. Thanks for real techies like you. Oh if anybody needs one, there a FREE "audio book cutter" out there ( just go to that site) that i have used to split track-i used it for years. REALLY simple. It cuts to a max of 60 minute intervals but thats what i use.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  3. Aberline

Aberline Member

Linkvoid,
    Had I only discovered your instructions BEFORE I spent so many many hours trying to figure this out and downloading SO much crap! I just about had given up until I discovered your ever so helpful kit! YOU ROCK! THANK YOU!

4. gizaden

gizaden Member

Worked for me also!

I had Goldwave v5.18 and I kept getting an error in WMP the file couldn't be played. Upgraded to v5.22 and all was well!

8 hour unabridged is currently processing with an estimated conversion time of 1 hour.

5. betabeta

betabeta Member

My WMP is version 11.0.5721.5230 and I haven't had any problems. Perhaps you can do like the other poster and get it to work without it playing in WMP?? Sorry I can't help further.

I'm glad so many have indeed had success, but we owe it all to linkvoid whereever he/she maybe :>).

6. colby50

colby50 Member

I have installed the kit as directed and after some bumps everything works slick as can be. I used MP#directcut to break up 8 hour aa/mp3 files into shorter segments. So far so good. Thank you for ending my huge frustration with am mp3 player that did not live up to its advertised audible compatibility.

Here's the problem: I have started getting endless Runtime Error Line 1 messages in Windows Media Player 10.
    The debugger shows htmlfile:invalid argument for the line

document.domain = "yahoo.com";

Could this be related to any of the files installed?
    Any suggestions on how to fix?

7. betabeta

betabeta Member

I didn't have this problem but have had similar in the past. Did any of the programs try to install the yahoo or google toolbar on your internet explorer? I had that problem from another application once. The only way I was able to fix it was I had to reinistall internet explorer (minus the toolbar add in) and WMP. THen I used McAfee's Clean Sweep to get rid of anything dangling.... I hope that helps.

8. natalia94

natalia94 Guest

Hi, long time browser, first time poster - Has anyone had any luck with either the goldwave or soundtaxi method in Vista? I recently was forced to replace my machine and am stuck with Vista now or will void my warranty.

9. knipknup

knipknup Member

I have failed to get soundtaxi to work in Vista :( Since it is a software we purchase, I'm sure they are working on a vista version. However, I have not found it to work yet...

10. sam4949

sam4949 Member

Hi guys

I have been using the Goldwave method of converting AA files to Mp3 and it has worked very well over a number of months.

But i now have a problem whan i load an aa file into Goldwave it cuts off the last few minuets of the book also if i play it in windows media player it also has the last few minuets missing. anybody got ay ideas as to the problem please

Regards

11. betabeta

betabeta Member

Sorry I haven't had the problem... however, I did see my WMP trying to update itself a week ago and I blocked it... I'm not taking any updates on any media player as long as I got this thing working.

12. Fawny

Fawny Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  13. phenner

phenner Member

sam4949,

Read Imemine's response to MSpartan on page 16 of this thread:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/16/103313

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  14. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Tunebite (I have the paid platinum version) will convert AA files (through Itunes) into several formats besides mp3's. It does it in realtime though....

15. ut1880h

ut1880h Guest

This is for bit torrent ppl. The following torrent link contains an entire package for converting .aa to mp3 as well as two powerful tools for organizing mp3 files:

http://isohunt.com/download/33639292/audible

Assuming you have a bit torrent client like uTorrent or some other, the link will allow downloading the torrent for the package which contains:

Audible Manager 3.5.exe (An older version that works fine with Goldwave)
    gwave508.exe (An older version that can convert the .aa files
    to mp3 or nearly any other format)
    lamewin32.exe (The latest mp3 codec - works with Goldwave)

And some icing on the cake:

RenameMaster.exe (My favorite batch file renaming utility)
    TagRename34.exe (An excellent ID3 batch tag editor)

This is available as of 2-6-08. May not be available after a month or two.

One more thing: if you had an old version of Goldwave working before and made THE HORRIBLE mistake of upgrading your Audible Manager to the latest version (not sure which version number is the cutoff) you found that Goldwave could no longer open their creepy .aa files. The download package takes care of this issue. You just un-install your current (mistake :) version of Audible Manager and install Audible Manager 3.5 that's included in the package. Wolllahh! You're back in business! Now grasshoppa - DO NOT EVER UPGRADE AUDIBLE MANAGER AGAIN!!! EVER!!!

Also, all the files in this package are clean - no viruses or spyware or any surprises. I'm a programmer and ex-cracker (almost entirely civilized even) and I've been using these tools for many moons and have scanned them with about the whole gamut of anti-everything that's out there. Since I avail myself of the bit torrent habit, I'm methodically careful about opening unknown packages. This one is benign.

One last (but VERY IMPORTANT thing: Even though Audible.com is being crappy with their .aa weirdness, after you have the mp3 conversion, DON'T screw them by putting it out on the net or giving it away to all your friends. Audible provides a very useful service and deserves to have their material protected from free distribution. Put yourself in their shoes. Just use the mp3 instead of their goofy aa and let the enhanced listening freedom that the mp3 provides be enough.

Enough lecturing... happy listening!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  16. Viper714

Viper714 Member

I agree!! I pay audible because it is a great service. I wish they had a program for the Zune and maybe they will in the future, but this work around should only be used to convert the books you buy. That is a good way to keep Audible in business providing us great books to listen to!!

Don't be a smacktard!!!

17. ut1880h

ut1880h Guest

Forget everything I said yesterday (except the last paragraph). Use Linkvoid's kit - it's easier and you get the benefit of having a later version of Goldwave. Also, in the future, you probably won't have to worry about upgrading audible manager since you could then just reinstall the media filter that is in the kit. Personally, I'd avoid upgrading their audible manager since it would be possible for them to program it to not work with any version of the media filter but their latest.

[Edited again - because I'm a retard!]
    I still recommend the two utilities RenameMaster and Tag&Rename that are in my download. You can select which file to download in uTorrent and most torrent clients. Just download everything but Golwave 5.08 and Audible Manager if you want only the utilities.

ut

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2008
  18. tewcewl

tewcewl Member

I'm thisclose to getting Goldwave to open my files. I've confirmed that my Audible files run in Windows Media 11, including the full use of the box that pops up. However, Goldwave just hangs with the box popping up and doing nothing but gobbling up CPU bandwidth.

I noticed I do not have the WMPlug option in the DirectX menu that betabeta talked about in a previous post.

Any ideas?

19. Viper714

Viper714 Member

What I do is open the Audible file in media player. Play the first 15 seconds of the book then pause. While leaving media player open I then open goldwave and load the audible book and it works (in Vista). I noticed that if I close media Player more than none, it would not work. Strange but what can I say.... Hope this helps!!

20. TahitiDan

TahitiDan Member

I'm having the same problem! Works fine with Windows Media but goldwave can't open the aa file, except that little box. And the CPU bandwith goes really high!
    I do not have either the WMPlug option in the DirectX menu...
    What can we do???