1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying a dvd to a dual layer dvd?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by speters, Aug 10, 2005.

1. speters

speters Member

I have DVDBackup and DVD2onex. I was wondering if anyone has been able to make a copy of a dvd to a dual layer disk, and have it playback on a home dvd player? I have the Denon 3910, which is only about a year old. In the manual it says that it will work with DVD-R, but I think that all dual layer media is DVD+R. So this would lead me to believe that they will not work?

2. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

ok... most commercial dvds are DL, so i dont see why not...
    in theory... it wont work.
    but you may just wanna call them directly....

3. speters

speters Member

I was just curious, since I did not think that most home dvd players would except a DVD+R?

4. eric545

eric545 Regular member

speters

Almost all commerical DVD's are produced in a Dual Layer Format and at the moment the only Dual Layer DVD blanks are DVD+R.

After ripping a DVD with DVD Decrypter, I then write the files to a Dual Layer 2.4x DVD+R and it plays just fine in my Stand Alone Sony DVD Player.

5. dfgriver

dfgriver Member

Not sure if you got the info you were looking for or not. I use DVD decryptor and COPY 2 DVD with DVD+R DL discs and they play perfectly with my Denon 2910. What I'm after is a way to erase the D/L discs once I have burned a movie. There is a RW logo on the disc, but I'm thinking that the way it creates a DVD movie is in write once mode or something. DVD Decryptor, Copy 2 DVD and Roxio can't erase the discs.

6. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

correct.. they dont have the RWs yet on that

7. speters

speters Member

I know that there is not a lot of dual layer dvd media out, but is there one that would be the best to use to burn movies to?

8. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

verbatims...

9. speters

speters Member

Thanks everyone. Since I am on a Mac, I am a little more limited to the dvd copying software I can use. I currently am using Mactheripper and DVD2onex. Has anyone used this with dual layer media? Since I will able to fit the whole dvd onto the DL media, do I have to still use DVD2onex? Could I just burn the Mactheripper files staight to the dvd with Toast?

10. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

if its DL media.. you have no reason to use dvd2oneX. that's only when you're wanting to shrink to one 4.7gb disc.. i think they call them dvd5

11. speters

speters Member

So then after I use Mactheripper, all I have to do is use toast to burn the dvd? I just want to make sure that I am not making any $5 coasters.

12. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

right.. as long as your burner is DL..
    you can click on the little button above the red button. goes from cd-->dvd-->dvd dl

13. macman123

macman123 Regular member

why do u want it on a dl disc anyway.it is a lot cheaper to make copies on a 4.7 disc. if u worry about qulity, then just do movie only when u compress it.

14. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

right macman...

i just normally do just the movie.. i don't care about the extra features and all that.. i barely
    have enough time to watch the movie itself let alone spend 20-30 minutes going thru the
    specials and trailers and all the extra stuff on them. besides.. once you get rid of that.. the
    main movie is just about down to 4.7, or at least close enough to where you don't need to
    have large a amount of compression. if i need to shrink i use dvd2OneX to shrink to 4 gb.
    dont wanna get too close to the edge.

@speters
    is there any special reason you're doing this on DLs?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  15. speters

speters Member

I don't want to use any compression what so ever. I am using the Denon 3910 with and sdi mod going Iscan HD processor then into a Mits 65813 RPTV. So quality is very important to me. Compression may be fine when your only viewing images on a 36" or smaller set, but once you get up to 65" HDTV, you can see alot more. Alot ov dvds already do not look that good aftert watching alot of HD material. I also plan on moving up to a 100" screen with a front projector within the next year. The last couple of dvd's I looked at, the movie only was over the 4.4g that can be put on to a regular DVD+R.

16. duncs

duncs Member

So then, what's the process to burn to DL disc WITHOUT using toast? Is it MTR, DVD IMAGER then Disk Utilty? If that's the case how well does this method work for layer breaks etc...

17. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

if you're ripping full disc thru mtr, then it should "in theory" be burned the exact same way. and yes that process, mtr --> dvd imager --> disk utility.

18. Ken24

Ken24 Member

Hello.

I just saw in this thread that someone has successfully burned a dual layer DVD and played it on a Denon 2910. Could you tell me what brand of blank DVD's you used? I bought a 2910 in November of last year (have not done any firmware upgrade since) and I tried to play a Memorex dual layer DVD on it without success. Couldn't load.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

19. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

use verbatim dvd

20. Ken24

Ken24 Member

Thanks. You have successfully used them dual layer on a 2910?