1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could not detect a valid media file

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by PeterInOz, Aug 8, 2004.

1. PeterInOz

PeterInOz Member

Hi All

I wish to thank the forum as I was able to solve my problem by searching previous answers after getting a faint hint of this forum from a Google search.

After receiving the above message on replaying my very first rip/burn attempt, I changed from TDK DVD-RW 2x to TDK DVD-R 4x and the copy was fine - replayable on every DVD player I could find.

However what tricked me, (and doesnt seem to have been covered here) was that the first 'faulty' DVD-RW actually replayed OK on someone else's new eMac even though it wouldn't replay on the computer that created it. So it appears that some 10.3.4 machines don't mind -RW media.

But, of course, if you record onto -R media then you should not have a problem.

Hope that this helps someone.

2. Londor

Londor Guest

Can you please find out the maker of the superdrive on that new eMac? Also the DVD-RW that you burned is not faulty is just that apparently most Macs will only play back video on DVD-Rs. (You can use DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW for data and your drive will read them without problems)

3. PeterInOz

PeterInOz Member

Hi Londor

1) Yes I have been using -RW media successfully for normal data backup.

2) Yes the DVD-RW disk is OK because all the files are there and can be copied etc. its just that it wont play the game as a DVDVideo.

3) Now, as for the DVDVideo on -RW .........

The story is more curious than before ....

The eMac was at the local Apple reseller in my nearest city. I went back today to try it out again, but this time the video on -RW media refused to play (as is normally the case, with the same symptoms as I get at home).

As far as I can determine the demonstation eMac was the same one as I tried last week, so between then and now the DVD-RW has gone from playable to non-playable. I dont understand why! I only have one, so it is impossible that I have mixed it up!

The DVD wont play in AppleDVDPlayer by way of the 'open VOB file' menu either.

For what its worth, the superdrive in the eMac was a Pioneer 107, which is the same model as I retrofitted to my G4/AGP at home.

It seems that the more times that you try to play the DVD the less chance there is of it working?!

Hmmmmm, curious.

4. Londor

Londor Guest

I always could and still can play back DVD-RWs with video content on my old iMac G4 (Pioneer DVR-104 Superdrive) running Jaguar (10.2.8) but since upgrading to a G5 running Panther I can not and no one in this or other forums has been able to do it using Panther and even some people running Jaguar are unable to do it.
    I do not know why with some computers you can but with most you can not. That is why I was asking to try to figure it out.
    I know that Apple only supports DVD-Rs for burning using iDVD but I have never found an Apple document about DVDPlayer and media support.