1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D-Link DIR-625 - Wireless is unstable, any sugestions?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by truno, Sep 1, 2008.

1. truno

truno Member

I've got a DIR 625 and a broadcom bcm94321. my wireless N is really unstable. It goes from 270 mbps to 180, 200, 27, 10 and I'm only like 2 feet away from the router. does anyone have any suggestions?

I checked my stats and i have 4181596 packets received, 6608331 sent, TX Packets Dropped :454, and 5521 errors. is the error count a bit to high?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It looks pretty damn high to me. Is there anything obstructing the path from the router to your laptop? Could your wireless receiver be overheating?

3. truno

truno Member

there is nothing obstructing the router, it literally 6 feet away. the only reason i'm not pluged in is because i dont have a cord long enough.

there is a power strip right next to it and its surrounded by power cords going to various electronics.

it doesn't feel to hot when i touch it but i will clean it out since i own a cat (damn cat hair gets in everything).

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not the router getting hot (though that is a common failing of routers, it usually knocks out all net access, not the wireless), I meant your wireless receiver, is it a USB dongle, built into a laptop, or a PCI card?

5. truno

truno Member

my laptop does run extremely hot but i keep it on a cooling pad so its not as bad as it use to be. whats weird is that My signal strength is excellent but the speed is 27 mbps. the signal strength doesn't go up and down the speed does.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Speed should only change with variance in signal quality... Are you able to set maximum network speed from the router?

7. jerred121

jerred121 Regular member

Have you tried connecting to a different wifi connection? like a coffee shop, school, friends? I would try to narrow my problem down to either the router/isp/nic/other. sounds like it might be the router or your ISP/connection.

8. jerred121

jerred121 Regular member

speed could be inconstant with an intermittent router or modem - just had that problem with my cable modem, replaced the old one and my connection is like a rock and about 3mbps faster.

Edit:
    That was on my wired connection though...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That would be actual net speed though, not the synchronisation speed of his wireless signal...

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I don't know very much about Draft N routers, other than all i ever read are problems with them; have you tried setting the router to 802.11g ie 54mbps ie try running it like a 'normal' wireless router ?. I'm guessing that's possible, just like the way 802.11g routers can be set to run at 802.11b

edit- i have to say, the comments i'm seeing on google are less than flattering on this router. I'd been recently reading reviews of various Draft N routers, but only to see if any can be flashed with dd-wrt firmware. I only have faith (and experience) in Linksys and Buffalo routers (using dd-wrt) personally. I like D-Link's ethernet switches but i don't rate their routers at all. In fact i still have their 504-T router but it's only really reliable being used as an ethernet switch.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  11. jerred121

jerred121 Regular member

true, but I'd still swap in a "known good" - maybe go down to Staples or some place that has a good return policy and pick up a different router and see if it fixes the problem. In my experience that's normally the simplest least stressful way to go about troubleshooting something like this.

12. truno

truno Member

good Idea swapping out the routers. I was considering putting it up for sale then buying this sexy looking linksys I saw (WRT160N). I might upgrade every thing to gigabit also. I'll hit bestbuy or something this weekend.

I moved the router away from the powerstrip and it helped a lot. maybe that was the problem. The speed still moves up and down but not below 100 mbps. its only been 2 days so lets hope it stays like that.

I like this router because of the firmware. It is just like the dd-wrt except it lets you QOS according to ports (i dont remeber if dd-wrt does this). This is huge because I can put the ports that my torrent downloads from as low priority and that way I can download all I want and It won't hog bandwidth. It does a lot of things out of the box, no flashing required. Hopefully by now linksys has realized that they need to follow suit on their firmware and give us more functionality.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

QoS by Port I like... :)

14. truno

truno Member

yeah so moving it didn't help. I'm operating at 27mbps most of the time. i'm going to swap the router and see if its the laptop which i'm hoping it is.

15. creaky

16. truno

truno Member

just had a networking question. torent clients only use one in port and one out port right? or does it use different numbers of ports for different operations like one for seeding this and another for downloading that?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope, they use dozens, if not hundreds. UPnP is the only way to get a torrent client working properly.

18. truno

truno Member

I think the issue is my broadcom min pci card. it only has settings for wireless b/g no N features. When I look around online only the vista drivers have b/g/n features. So my goal is to find a BCM94321MC wireless N driver for XP.

19. creaky

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  20. truno

truno Member

I have a BCM94321MC

the lap top is a hp Pavilion dv9429us. on the site it doesn't have many drivers for xp. I had to do some real digging to find video drivers and all that for my laptop. It came with Vista, I like Vista and everything but it just doesn't work when it comes to networking. Plus my computer runs 100 times faster with xp holy shit was I surprised at the difference.

I changed my settings on the router to only use N instead of b/g/n. I only get 11mbs when I'm in the back room about 2 new york apartment walls away from it. It's probably less than 100 feet away. all the other times I get good speed now that I've disabled b and G functionality.