1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desktop pics (NO flesh pics though)

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by geestar20, Feb 5, 2005.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm sorry fred. I don't like doing this, But...im pretty shy. Probably the shyest person you'd ever meet. No joke! Im home alone right now, and I can't do a tutorial with CamStudio because I feel funny talking to my computer LOL!

For the last few weeks, ive been waking up, and watching "Photoshop Top Secret" Tutorials. They taught me 90% of what I know. The other 10% was also VERY helpful. Especially with the space scenery. Im including some youtube links to what will help you. But I still strongly recommend the Top Secret tutorials. They're extremely informative. I'm sorry if I lost some respect here. As I said, VERY shy, and VERY self conscious. some/or all of these may contain 2 parts.

making planets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gazbI-i9Nfg

Make a sun - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dX4MzK2uXk

Make rings around a planet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfrIjqP6FE

Of course there are multiple ways of making the planets too. I no longer use the method above, because there is a better way to do so. Basically you take a texture map, select a spherical area, use the Spherize tool to give it a more 3d like look, an emboss tool, to give it yet another 3d like look, and bingo.

I will continue to try to speak to my computer LOL! Perhaps if it spoke back... :D

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. FredBun

FredBun Active member

omeg, don't even worry about it, it's no biggie, will definitely check out your links, thanks.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I hope you don't mind my opinion but lose the spike looking things on that sun. It's also too large because you are looking from behind an to the left and down enough that if you were on the earth, it wouldn't get look far enough away. From the perspective of where you are looking from would have less detail because of the reduced size of the sun, but that orangish glow around the sun is perfect. I would also add some dark reddish orange to some of the lighter parts of that sun to show some cool spots as well. In a way, now the sun looks a bit cartoony! The rest of the wallpaper is magnificent and has very good depth and color balance. I want one when it's finished!

Just my observations from what I see when I look at it. I saw one that was called "Collision Between Two Worlds"! The real and the cartoon worlds. The guy that did it, had cartoons on one side and people on the other. I saw cartoons on it that I've never even heard of and I'm 65 and grew up within sight of NYC! The way it was laid out, you didn't know if they were going to fight or join each other. The angles were such that you couldn't tell. Your view is directly looking at a 45 degree intersection from a low perspective and back say the width of a street. Gave great depth to the people and the characters.

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...im not exactly creating OUR universe. Though I do call the pic "Home Sweet Home." Heck, that isn't saturn in the picture. I just call it the odd planet. I do appreciate your input! The arcs from the sun are solar winds/flares. An attempt anyway. I thought it looked pretty cool. I wanted things large, to show the detail involved. :)

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a little something just messing around. Perhaps i'll begin yet another venture. Yes, I have a thing for purple LOL!
    [​IMG]

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Check out this badboy(Roxio Cineplayer)! I think im in love♥ LOL! It kind of reminds me of nero showtime. But the drop down is sure prettier!
    [​IMG]

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

NIce screeny... :) BUT has Roxio gotten better about playing nicely with other progies?? I'm a NERO fan personally... yep fanboy here. :p

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It hasn't interfered with other programs. However, MyDvd(DvdBuilder), is not nearly as quick as NeroVision. NeroVision utilizes more of my quad than Roxio does. I will continue to play with it though. And there was an extreme quality difference between the two. Roxio significantly lacked in encode quality. And yes, everything was set to HIGHEST quality. I am still playing with it though :)

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

A quick search will reveal that Roxio (*and NERO) do NOT re-encode a video.... they "transcode" a video like DVD Shrink does. :) NOT nearly the quality and NOT nearly the CPU needed for a "simple" transcode. :) A quad running at about 3.0GHz should "encode" a 7GB file in about 30-40 minutes or so... From my experience anyway. :)

sorry about the OT creaks... I'll give links next time. :)

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Whoops! I am aware of Transcode/Encode definitions(I use both on a daily basis). I suppose it is considered a transcode operation. Even though, it should NOT cut the quality. Since its simply UPconverting! Darnit! I wish I could program. I really feel that there are ways that are being overlooked. One day, One day... :) Mark-My-Words :)

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    My last two DVDRB/CCE encodes of 5.9GB and 6.2GB, 2 pass were in the 17 minute bracket, total! 13 minute Encodes! That being said, I love my new Wallpaper, compliments of Oman7!
    http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8140/dragonwafer25603.jpg
    We both did some work on the Dragon, and Oman incorporated the AMD Logo on the "frisbee"! LOL!!

Russ

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

All looks good EXCEPT for the AMD in the middle of that pic. :p A little "the one" or something would have worked nicely!! hehehe. :)

I may be thinking of my DUO on encode times.... I know I remember something around 40 minutes with a 7-8 Gig movie at some time or another. :)

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you're ripping from DVD, a lot of this is going to be the disc loading time. Assuming a 16x drive (22.16MB/s) that's 4m30s just to read the disc, there might also be some spin up time in there too.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ha ha! Are you hinting me at yet another revision :) Not too bad anyway ;) Let me know what you think :D
    [​IMG]

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Or perhaps, give the entire picture a new appeal. I like a certain dark vivid look myself :)
    [​IMG]

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    As I said on the building thread, I have no idea what I did to the computer adjustments, but it's blurry fast, encoding! The only thing I've touched was the CPU multiplier, and I upped the HT link frequency and the NB VID frequency to 2000MHz. The rest stays as is, at least until I figure out why such a dramatic difference in encode speed. It's actually mesmerizing to watch, as the bars go so fast in the CCE window. Then again, I would expect that with the encode speed in the low 23s! I've seen 10s and once I saw a 12, but 23s? Never!

The computer itself is just a hair slower at 3.0GHz, than it was at 3.2GHz before I replaced the MB! Since it's being left to Russell, I'm going to leave it the way it is now. Russell wouldn't know what to do with it anyway, as he knows nothing about overclocking at all!

Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ,
    I think you missed the above pics! :)

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    No, I saw them. They are too dark for my tastes! I still like the one I have currently better! LOL!! It's got just about perfect balance the on my monitor screen! A real nice mix of light, dark, color intensity and depth. Perfectly positioned on the screen. When I got it back from you, I manually sized it to fit my screen. By manual I mean PhotoShop. I cut everything I wanted to get the positon and the width to try and maintain the aspect ratio. I opened the cut file in New and sized it to 1680x1050 and it's what you see. I'll take a shot of it and post it. Then you will see what I mean! Everyone comments the first time they see it. Usually they stop talking first and stand there a minute! AMD and all, GM! LOL!! I like my AMD! I can't wait to see how it runs with a x3 720BE in it (when I can afford one)! "Go Speed Racer"!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Huh. Well...to each his/her own I guess. Everybody has their own artistic design/expression. Thanks for the input :)