1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DigitalMac's Easy DVD Backup Tutorial

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by DigitlMac, Feb 28, 2003.

1. skeet754

skeet754 Guest

Toast is available at macmall.com for $79 but recently saw rebates (can't remember) making it only $49.

DVD Studio Pro is available from Apple for $999.
    You can get it off Ebay for $300-$400

2. dmcguire

dmcguire Guest

What is an alternative to DVD Studio Pro, and will Toast Titanium 5 work?

3. dmcguire

dmcguire Guest

I just followed the instructions above to burn a DVD below 4.7 gb, and I popped the DVD in and it wont play. When I double click on it it has two folders just like the original DVD: Audio_TS and Video_TS. The Audio_TS has zero files and the Video_TS has all the files. What did I do wrong? I used 0SEx 0.011a1
    Toast Titanium 5.1.

4. skeet754

skeet754 Guest

Burning backups of copy protected DVDs on the Mac is not simple but it is also not really that difficult.

This website is a great resource. Take the time to read carefully all the information available here. Be patient.

Having a Powerbook, you cannot use DVD-RW so I would suggest making an image in Toast first and test it thoroughly in DVD Player so you don't make an unusable DVD-R.

The images created from Finder will not play on Set top DVD players and only through Apple DVD Player using the open Video_ts folder option.

When you burn the disc in Toast make sure you have selected DVD as the output format - or you will get the same result as you indicated you had. I suspect that may have been what happened. I made the same mistake.

You cannot simply copy a DVD. The video will be scrambled with Macrovision copy protection. You must
    use a tool like DVDBackup or OSEX.

There are 2 (basic) methods for copying a DVD
    1) if the DVD is 4.3GB or less (simple and only takes one DVD-R)
    2) if the DVD is 4.3 or greater. (takes 1 DVD-R if you compress the video or 2 DVD-R if you split the DVD contents over 2 discs).

I don't need to repeat all the great information that is already posted on this board. READ ON. All the information is available on this board. It took me a couple weeks in spare time and a few failed attempts to
    get the process down. Hang in there.

Skeet

5. dmcguire

dmcguire Guest

How do you make a image in Toast and test it? I am
    using toast 5.1 is that okay? Where can I get Sizzle?
    Thanks for the time and help Skeet!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2003
  6. skeet754

skeet754 Guest

Create disc image in Toast?
    Select Save as disc image.
    If you want to be sure make sure you have no
    media in the drive.
    When it is complete it will put a dvd-r image
    on the desktop and dvd-player will auto start (if set that way). You can then navigate through
    the virtual disc to see if it works.

Sizzle - go to versiontracker.com

Google is your friend
    : )

7. skeet754

skeet754 Guest

duplicate

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2003
  8. raikku

raikku Guest

I follwed the above tutorial and first disk is ok, but when I load the second in to DVDSP the start time and end time look like they're both 00:00:00.00, so if I try to preview I just get the first 2 frames repeated over and over again. I know that all of the video is in there, is there any way to reset the times in the m2v???

9. jakekub

jakekub Guest

FYI - You can also use the application 'more missing tools' This is especially nice when burning that second disc as it helps you fix the time code of the M2V file that will not import into DVDSP or even sizzle. I have found though that certain movies even running through this process are not correct when burned. They problems I am encountering are the audio and video not in-synchronization. I am working on this problem and if anyone hass any ideas it would be greatly appreciated on my behalf. I would gladly return the favor with any other knowledge I have that could help.

10. rk74

rk74 Member

Thanks a lot, DigitlMac, your tutorial was a great help
    to me! But a have a little problem, which i can't solve.
    I can't seem to get subtitles on my backuped dvd's. I
    have been try to get this working for a few days but i
    am to stupid to solve this i guess.... Is there anyone
    who can explain how to do this? Thanks!

[bold]Edit:[/bold]
    Solution: I use osex to rip the full dvd, then i use
    dvd2one to delete all the useless crap, very easy.
    A great program!

Last edited: May 8, 2003
  11. STP

STP Member

HI,
    I have a problem, I used osex to extract a movie from a dvd , but when I try to open the M2v file, the movie freezes at a certain moment.
    (im using QuickTime Pro).
    The extraction is complete, the M2v file is in the desktop along with the Ac3 file...and it just freezes at a certain moment of the movie (I converted the movie to mpeg4 and the 300 mb file had the same problem...obviously !)

As a test I started doing the hole extraction again and I opened the movie in quick time while the extraction was still in progress and i was able to see the entire movie up to the point where the extraction was not yet completed. (So i know the info in the file is all there)
    I smell some kind of security here... am I right?

What I want to do is convert the M2v file in a 300 mb mpeg4 file. so I can burned it on a regular cd...im poor I don't have dvd-burner..studio pro or all that crap...does anyone has a solution for me?

Im runing on Mac Os X.1.5 256 ram, 700 mhz G3.
    Thanks a lot for your help.

STP

12. Prodeo

Prodeo Guest

Quicktime Pro has poor support for playback of mpeg2 files. It has a 2 gig limit. This is why it freaks out. The best solution for transcoding a DVD to mpeg4 is to use Diva or OpenShiiva (OpenShiiva handles sound as well as going straight from decrypted VOB's)

13. STP

STP Member

MMM, GOOD !
    So....
    What's your advise?
    Wich one should I pick?
    Is it quality soft ?
    Tx
    STP

14. zebcreed

zebcreed Guest

This is directed to DIGITLMAC and HAAS5615 primarily but would love any help. I followed HAAS5615's advice at the beginning of this thread.

"Just burned Bourne Identity on two dvd-r's. Using OSX 10.2.3, followed first half of instructions on over 4.3 from DigitalMac, then used sizzle to recombine the files (dragged the pairs of m2v and ac3 chapters into sizzle. Ran sizzle, then just dragged the movie disc image it created into a new DVD on toast(no name changing necessary) and burned. Very easy."

I have tried 8 or 10 variations on this and always get madeningly close. After using 0SEx 0.0110a1 and getting my audio AC3 and video M2V I recombine the files with Sizzle like HAAS5615 suggested and when I use the DVD player to preview the movie it's beautiful and souns great but the sound isn't in sync with the video. Am I missing something simple. Any help would be appreciated.

15. highe5

highe5 Guest

This is all very informative and to the point, but what about a poor old OS9.2 user like myself?!

I also want to backup my DvD movie collection (before my kids break them!), and I have tried the first mistake of simply using Silverkeeper to extract the dvd files to HD and then attampting to burn to DvDr using Toast. Obviously, due to the copyright encryption, although it burns OK, it does not play.

In order to get a full copy (including menus, scenes, etc), is there a certain file (or files) that have the encryption on them, or is it embedded constantly throughout the movie files?

Is there a simply OS 9 equivalent to 0SEx 0.011a1 ?

16. highe5

highe5 Guest

Right, I've just had a go at a few things and this is what I want to try (NB I'm on Mac OS9.2.2 using Lacie firewire HD & multi DVDRW):

I want to use MM2D to demux all the individual VOB files at chapter level in order to strip the encryption, then remux the .M2V & .AC3 files back together into .VOB files, to then, with the rest of the original contents of the VIDEO_TS (and AUDIO_TS) (ie, the other .IFO (etc) files), burn them in Toast (using the original movie name) to a DVDr as a fully working back-up (incl. scenes, menu, etc)

1. I am dreaming, or is this just too easy?

2. I know all you X users have the likes of Sizzle, but what can I use in OS9.2.2 to remux the M2V & AC3 files together?

17. STP

STP Member

OK i can extract a m2v from a dvd, but i can't convert the file into mpeg4 !!
    quicktime sucks, openshiiva looks good but it quits itself when I hit the GO button to convert it (BIG BUG)

mpeg2decx works and converts the movie...BUT
    all files converted by mpeg2decx get the "couldn't open the file because there is an error in the program" from QUICKTIME...

Does anyone know of a good program that can convert mv2 files into mpeg4 ¿?

im using mac os x 1.5 so...diva does not work...
    HELP

STP
    (I'll get a pc if i can't crack this thing)

18. fits

fits Member

DigitlMac,
    i've got a dvd under 4.3Gb. when i choose "DVD Folder" in OSEx, the program quits. when i choose "elem streams" it works just fine. but when i burned the dvd, it couldn't be read.

any ideas? thanx

19. johnferg

johnferg Member

That happens somtimes to me too. I have to use DVD Backup 1.3 when that happens. Chances are that if one fails to work the other one will work.

-j

20. fits

fits Member

that worked, thanx john