1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DigitalMac's Easy DVD Backup Tutorial

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by DigitlMac, Feb 28, 2003.

1. dj_fred_d

dj_fred_d Member

I have some quick questions about DigitalMac's Easy DVD Backup Tutorial :

Does This copy the whole DVD. (menus and all) or does it just copy the movie? does it loose any picture quality?

2. moze

moze Guest

like fatdog ive gotten the error message in dvdsp.
    the files have no icon on them (ie file type
    indentification)
    i can however import them into quicktime and view the
    mv2 files. i was going to export or save as mv2 but that
    wont happen. Should i export to mov then in final cut
    pro export to mv2? dvdsp is a shared program.

also im not getting a video ts and audio ts folders
    getting made just files

can any one help??? im using osex

one more thing is everyone ripping one big file audio
    and video or breaking it down into chapters?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]analog vs. digital[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2003
  3. Essex

Essex Member

Hello,

I'm new to Macs in general, though especially to ripping DVDs. The info in this thread has been extremely helpful.

However, I'm unclear on some things.

I've been using DVD2One and Toast to burn DVDs, but I've been desperately trying to find a method that allows me to copy a DVD-9 to two DVD-5s that will still retain all (or most) of the DVD's special features and menus. The method outlined in the first post doesn't seem to do that. Does anybody have any ideas how I might accomplish this (preferably without using Virtual PC, which I really can't stand)? Thank you very much for any help :)

-Essex

4. highe5

highe5 Guest

Good question, Essex, I've also been dying to know how to do this...

Any ideas, anyone?...

5. mike71

mike71 Guest

discomVOBulatorplus??

6. highe5

highe5 Guest

Hmmm... nice pointer, Mike, I'll check that out!

7. Haas5615

Haas5615 Member

Zebcreed, sorry about my slow response, but it's been 6 months since my last post. The audio/video sync issue you are talking about remains to be a problem that I havn't been able to fix (although i havn't tried to hard). It has just seemed to be a problem on some of the dvd's i have burned using that method. With the dvd's with that problem, I have found that if you extract the second half using elementary streams and CHAPTERS, the audio problem fixes itself on the next chapter. I'm not positive if this is always the case, but if you figure out a better way using the same programs or other free programs please let me know.

8. ih8win

ih8win Guest

is there a way to add subtitle stream to the DVD during the copy proccess??
    maybe using DVD SP? or any other SW on Mac?
    the idea is to add another subtitles option to the dvd menu and be able to change it with the remote, or just to stick the subtitles to the movie and not be able to change it, it doesnt matter to me realy, just if it possible to be done or not?
    im a Mac user btw :-D

9. plaxico

plaxico Member

I have carefully read all the help on this page and have all the neccessary utilities including,
    -osex
    -dvd studio pro
    -sizzle
    -toast 6.0.3 titanium
    but for some reason i can't get the process to work, i have tryed taking a big dvd 6.7gigs and shrinking it with dvd2one then using toast but i think i am using toast incorrectly i am doing a data disc and draging the dvdvolume file on to it because if i chose video disc and select dvd it only allows me to drag actual video files not the dvdvolume or video_ts folders. I have also tried to split the dvd in studio pro 2 but the instruction on this page are a little hard to follow considering the complexity of the interface within studio pro, can any one help.

Thanks Plaxico.

10. hanserics

hanserics Member

OK so I'm new to this stuff.

I'm trying to rip a DVD that's smaller than 4.3GB using OSEx, but following the instructions I end up with only the Video_TS folder being copied to my harddrive. Also, I have Toast 6 Titanium v. 6.0.1, there doesn't seem to be a "other" tab. Should I use the Video tab to do the burning?
    Thanks,

Hans Ericsson

11. dulie

dulie Member

plaxico, hanserics : Take the easy route outlined in several other posts, get DVDBackup to extract, decrypt. If its over 4.4gb use DVD2OneX, then use toast to burn. In toast 6 you select the DATA tab, and ensure DVD-ROM (UDF) is checked. Click the new disc button, and copy the audio_ts and video_ts folders, then burn.

ih8win: using the DVD2oneX allows u to chose any/all of the audio and subtitle tracks :) selectable with the remote, or menu(if u keep it)

This is far and away the easiest way to burn dvds on the mac, you can rip entire movies with menus extra features etc, split movies acroos disks, and join loads of episodes together, this method rulez.

12. hanserics

hanserics Member

So,

Would I still use osex to decompress the original DVD if I got dvd2one, and what's the quality like with dvd2one? Also, is there somewhere I can find a basic tutorial on Sizzle.
    Thanks,

Hans

13. ih8win

ih8win Guest

dulie> its not that i wanna take some subtitles off... i just wanna add my own langage subtitles to the DVD and make it a available in the menu,,,,,
    is it possible?!?!

14. macDIESEL

macDIESEL Member

This is to faydog and DaddyMac:

With the quicktime Mpeg2 playback, I wanted to use it to view my VOB files to take out stuff I don't need so I can compress as less as possible when I use dvd2onex.

For some reason I cant view these VOB files with mpeg2 playback. After installation of mpeg2 playback, what files are installed and where?

How would you guys do this?

Thanks

15. Liese

Liese Member

Digitimac...you are awesome...followed your tutorial exactly and just watched my own movie.... coooool! Hope I find some more single layer dvds i want! you are the best!!!
    Thanks