1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

divx

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by lithica, Jan 20, 2005.

1. lithica

lithica Guest

hi, sorry i did try looking through the forums but couldn't find the relevant info that i could access with a newbie rating.

Please could somone tell me what tools i need to burn a dvd to divx and how i use them. I have a mac G5 2.0 ghz.

thanks

Andrew

2. xaosai

xaosai Member

Dear Andrew,

Do you want to extract the DVD and convert it to divx file(s) or write divx to a playable DVD?

3. lithica

lithica Guest

hi,
    thanks for getting back. I would like to extract a dvd and convert it to divx.

cheers

Andrew

4. xaosai

xaosai Member

Ok. I'll tell you how i do it.

(1) First you have to remove the decryption with a ripper like MTR or 0Sex. Sometimes you can get away without this step, but its always a good idea.

(2) Download a program called DVDibbler. I think its free (if not, easily acquired serial). Use that to convert the extracted VOB files into a divx file. It's really nice for subtitle extraction, etc. Oh, I think you'll also need a supporting program called Mplayer. I remember that this was kinda tricky to install, but just give it an afternoon.

(3) If you're planning on putting this on a cd, you'll probably need a program called Xplicit. If the file is above 700mb, partition the divx file into two parts and save to two disks. Otherwise, you're done.

Hope this helps.

5. lithica

lithica Guest

hi thanks for that, it was really helpful. one question, looking on the net i saw a lot of complaints concernig DVDibbler working on OS 10.3. Just wondering if you had any experieces with it being rubbish.

Cheers

Andrew

6. lithica

lithica Guest

hi thanks for that, it was really helpful. one question, looking on the net i saw a lot of complaints concernig DVDibbler working on OS 10.3. Just wondering if you had any experieces with it being rubbish.

Cheers

Andrew

7. xaosai

xaosai Member

I have os 10.3.7 and never had any major issues. Occasionally, I've had conversion problems, but i'm pretty certain that it's a media issue and not the software.

Since I burn everything to DVD now, I haven't used this procedure in a while. So you may want to check the website/dvdibbler forums for specific compatibility issues. Also, there may be a better, more recent program out there. Just google around for a bit.

Good luck,

Ross