1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS to AC3 help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by cshaip, Aug 1, 2008.

1. cshaip

cshaip Member

I am having a difficult time converting DTS to AC3 while trying to rip "Hitman." I'm trying to stream the movie to the PS3. Video looks great but no sound. I have tried following the guides for using Dts2Ac3 and for using a combination of Foobar and Aften. I cannot get Dts2Ac3 to work at all (command prompt screen disappears in under 1 second when I try). I have spent hours reading and searching for a solution for this but can't seem to get anything to work. I am a complete Noob when it comes to Blu Ray so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Can someone point me toward a guide or either explain the process in detail?

2. cshaip

cshaip Member

I should also add that I'm trying to convert to AC3 5.1. I found a guide that used ffdshow but it was only for 2 channel sound.

3. odin24

odin24 Regular member

It is really easy. You need one application and it's GUI. It's called eac3to and eac3toGUI, download both of them here.

eac3to

eac3toGUI

Download and unzip the eac3to zip file, then do the same for the GUI... except unzip the GUI into the eac3to file folder.

Before you convert you need to configure the GUI, basically you need to point the GUI to the exe file, which is all in the same folder. Open the GUI-->settings-->eac3to location, find the location where you unzipped everything and select the eac3to.exe file.

Now, on to the conversion.

1. Load your DTS file
    2. select your kb/s, this should be 640kb/s
    3. Select your Force Filter, unless you have others installed use Libav
    4. Convert.

Done! Enjoy.

4. cshaip

cshaip Member

Thanks! This program worked like a charm and was extremely easy to use. Why is the file size so different between the two formats? The dts file before conversion was 2.86 GB and the Ac3 file after conversion was only 431 MB. Is Dts really that much better?

5. odin24

odin24 Regular member

The DTS source you converted from was probably 1536kb/s, the AC3 output file is 640kb/s... nearly a 1mb difference, which means a lot of quality lost.

I use DTS with all of my BD rips, whether the BD comes with DTS or I have to convert a Dolby TrueHD or PCM track to DTS it's just my preference.

6. cshaip

cshaip Member

Is there another program you use to convert to DTS, or does EAC3toGUI do this? I would like to keep the DTS but the PS3 doesn't seem to stream the audio from files with this encoding (unless I'm doing something wrong). Thanks again for your help.

7. odin24

odin24 Regular member

eac3toGUI can do this but you need a DTS encoder, like Surcode... which is not freeware, this is the program I use.

You cannot stream DTS in m2ts, it needs to be on disc, or USB in AVCHD format. To be AVCHD compatible your video stream needs to be Blu-Ray compliant... either 1920x1080 (not 1920x816, etc), or 1280x720 (not 1280x576, etc).

Go to this thread and read up, there's a wealth of information regaring recoding.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

8. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

What size is your DTS audio files when you finish using Eac3toGUI with Surcode?

I mite can get my hands on Surcode can you write a guide on how to add DTS audio to AVCHD using Surcode because i don't know how to use that progam? Thxs as always Odin24

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  9. odin24

odin24 Regular member

If you can aquire a copy of Surcode I'd be glad to help.

10. cshaip

cshaip Member

It is really easy. You need one application and it's GUI. It's called eac3to and eac3toGUI, download both of them here.

eac3to

eac3toGUI

Download and unzip the eac3to zip file, then do the same for the GUI... except unzip the GUI into the eac3to file folder.

Before you convert you need to configure the GUI, basically you need to point the GUI to the exe file, which is all in the same folder. Open the GUI-->settings-->eac3to location, find the location where you unzipped everything and select the eac3to.exe file.

Now, on to the conversion.

1. Load your DTS file
    2. select your kb/s, this should be 640kb/s
    3. Select your Force Filter, unless you have others installed use Libav
    4. Convert.

Done! Enjoy.This worked fine for me the first time I tried it. However, on the second try with a different movie it says ERROR block code look-up failed
    the libav decoder crashed.

What went wrong?

11. NarutoUzu

NarutoUzu Member

It didn't work the second time for me too. I went to Settings and fixed the eac3to.exe location. I think the problem is locating the right file.

12. haloman67

haloman67 Member

I used this method as well and it work ok. It required me to run the file through delaycut first which did the job allowing me to run it through EAC3toGUI. The only problem I'm having is static glitches throughout the movie on playback. Is this common? Seems worse in loud parts.

13. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I'm not what could be going wrong.

14. NarutoUzu

NarutoUzu Member

I don't know either. My EAC3toGUI folder used to be on My Documents but now it's on my Desktop lol. It worked after I moved it and also I deleted a folder called EAC3toGUI inside the EAC3toGUI folder. I don't know how that got in there. o_O

15. KidKappa

KidKappa Member

does anybody know if you can use the ps3 to bitstream the dts-hd or dts out to a receiver and have that do the decoding?

16. NarutoUzu

NarutoUzu Member

Yes, it can.

Code:
    http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=788&p_created=1199126728&p_sid=gEGwG2*i&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NCZwX3Byb2RzPTQmcF9jYXRzPSAmcF9wdj0xLjQmcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1kb2xieQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
    Enjoy!

17. stevo714

stevo714 Guest

I'm a bit confused on this.

So to get a Blu Ray to stream to my PS3 I shoudl

1. Use Txremux and split the AVC video file into 1 folder and the DTS stream into anoth folder.

2. Use eac3to to convert the DTS stream AC3 stream?

3. Use TSmuxer to mux the AVC stream and AC3 stream back into a MPEG file

4. Stream to PS3 via WMP11?

Is that seem right?

I've been trying to get this to work forever and the best I can to is stream my Blu-Ray with no audio but that sems like the reason is that I can't stream DTS to my PS3 from my HTPC.

If some one can give me a step by step procedure I would appreciate it.

18. crzycraka

crzycraka Member

Yeah stevo that would work, but you dont even have to use tremux. You can do everything with just Tsmuxer and Ac3toGui.

1.Just add your Mkv file to Tsmuxer.

2.Demux it.

3.Take dts file and add it to Ac3toGui.

4.Convert to AC3 (takes like 5 mins)

5.Then add the H264 file and AC3 audio to TsMuxer and Output it to M2TS or Blu-Ray.

Thats how I do it and it works fine (If it is 1280x720) But if its not 1280x720p then I get green bars and the video is cut off, So Im trying to learn how to resize the video. Hope that helped..