1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dumpster diving !

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Digerati8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

hey that's great everybody ! went today but just found trash ! people actually putting trash in a dumpster ! imagine that ! How novel . I guess it's often true that one mans trash is anothers Treasure ArGH!!!!!!!!!!!! Me I' happy if I find Cases & or movies . On a brighter note ! Finally got the cable guy to come check out my installation !!! He was supposed to show up last thursday 1;30-3;00 pm and naturally he was a no show ! at 5;00pm I called customer service and asked why ? The lady replied that they called my house but no one was home - and got a number not active message - I told her that was BS in a nice way becuase we were home all day and got one call & it was'nt them ! I rescheduled my service call for yesterday ! Thursday evening We lost electricity due to tree branches falling into Power, Cable ,& phone lines on the highway ! So we went to the city for dinner and a movie ! When we returned the internet was working like it should ! And monday the cable guy came on time finally pulled up a modem check site and pronounced it working properly Duh! anyways I pulled the same site up but it was all chinese to me , I did find a speed check site though that showed me what I knew already so I guess I'm happy for now ? Sorry to digress guy's & gal's Good luck & happy Hunting ! Free is FRee!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  2. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Here I thought this thread may be of interest to some of you.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/384379

My dad's a electrician and programmer so any broken electronics he can usually fix.The fixes are easy too.You know you can fix it and flip it on ebay for profit too!!!!

I don't dive but the rich people down the road throw away some great stuff it's just sitting there outside the trash can by the road! You can also go to big corporations and find all types of sh*t that the big wigs throw out.

@anubis nice hookah lol.I hope they weren't smoking crack lol man like I said on the thread in that link, my mom found a half oz. of primo just sitting on the side of the road when she was strolling.

3. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Hello fellow dumpster diver's I'm here to report that I have found apple computers, I was driving and out of the corner of my eye I saw a computer. So I went to take take a look and it turned out there wasn't one BUT TWO APPLE COMPUTERS a G4 and G3 powermac they were in good condition so I adopted them. The G3 didn't have an HD so I gave to my friend.

Well after looking there for a while awaiting another computer to show up it did, It was an apple IMac, so I have adopted him too.

Well so far, I have not found any problem with the computers, the IMac has a small scratch at the top but that's it. I'm replacing the HD's as they are only 10gb. Some 80gb from ebay and a family pack or two of mac osx 10.4.6 and I can have my own Mac computer lab by the end of the year. I'll report back when another survivor is found.

FREE IS FREE

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  4. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

21Q- I found onr once but did'nt get it ( Big Dummy # 1 Here!) but that's great for you though ! Next time though I'll grab it ! I'm happy if I find dvd cases , Dvd's and the occasional cd ! But hey ! Free Is free - be it DVD cases Apple computers or whatever ! Think of it as the ultimate form of recycling ! Now if I could only find a near mint Laptop that works in the dumpster ! that would rock ! well good luck & happy hunting 21Q Ciao!

5. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

the ibook g3 was a durable computer for its time, but its old and sucky now.

@tycobb
    no crack, but awesome flavored tobacco. other things will be smoked from it in time..heh heh :)

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Guess that falls under the heading of "put that in your pipe & smoke it !" lol! or in your case Hookah !!! And if you go chasing rabbits ...

7. 21Q

21Q Regular member

found another Imac!!! It has login too

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

IT's a Big Mac Attack !!!! Great Going ! Went today & all I found was A dumpster full of trash ! But That's why it's like a treasure hunt I guess ? if I hit everytime I'd probably get Jaded ! Or Not ! Keep up the good work CiaO!

9. 21Q

21Q Regular member

I don't know wat I'll do if I find another mac.

10. JVC

JVC Active member

Send it to me......... :eek:)

11. 21Q

21Q Regular member

k, I wouldn't mind, u pay shiping though, or maybe through ebay, make it cheap

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  12. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

i use an ibook g4 here and there. i got it for free brand new. i recently found out my battery fo it is under recall and needs to get returned. i guess on my next trip to chicago i'll head to the huge apple store there.

13. JVC

JVC Active member

@21Q..........
    If you find one with OSX, and decent hardware, PM me how much it will cost to ship. I'm unemployed, and have been since January, but if there's any way I can do it, I will. My wife needs a newer mac. Her old one has about had it.
    Thanks!

14. 21Q

21Q Regular member

well they all come (so far) with os x, but the hd's are 10gb ALL of them (so far) and only 64mb, u probably don't want them, I've only found one g4 and I have JUST enough money to bring it to standerds, so tell me,I really have no other means of getting them anywere ( I might not even be able to ship it due to some circumstances ( although I don't look it, young age computer geek, so my parents 80% won't allow it, NO I'm not 10) hey I can tell you were I get them, also, ebay, I can make it prefered buyer only, making you the only possible buyer, good cover up for me, anyway, location is in hoboken nj, if you live near there tell me, I give you adrress, pick up a few, tusdays and thursdays are the best so far.

If ya do pick ebay, 00.01 cents plus ship, I found it for free, it'd be unfair to sell it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  15. JVC

JVC Active member

HD and memory is fine. I can use those out of old one. Monitor is what's going bad in old one.

But, I live in NC, so I won't be going to NJ any time soon. :eek:)
    I don't like eBay. Thanks anyway, but don't worry about it. We'll be able to buy a new one in a couple years.
    Thanks for offering though........

I was kidding, when I said send it to me. But, when you said ok, I started thinking how we could do it. But, my situation won't allow it right now. It's all I can do to buy a 15 pk. of blank dvds at the moment.

16. 21Q

21Q Regular member

well, w/e, concept is better than nothing

17. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Conceptually speaking of course !

18. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

09 02-2006

Stardate - captains log ! Well captains twig let's be modest ! went a diving and found a medium garbage bag full of cases - did'nt count em yet yup I 'm lazy allright ! Guesstimate about 40 or so - Found a white thick double weird ? anyhow had to work for them too mixed in with Leftover fast food trash but that's what hand sanitizer & soap & water are for Right ! Well that's all for now Beam me up scotty!

19. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I was Blockbuster a month ago and there were two trash bags at the exit and I just ask if I could have them and they said yes. I must have gotten 150 of the black ones. One had the yellow stirp in it. I could not get the damn thing out. So I opened it up to figure out the device. It's two magnetic cylinders on each side that have to be pulled in opposite directions to disengage the locks.

20. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I'm so bummed. I don't have anywhere to go dumpster diving anymore. I live in this high rise aparment building now and I have a trash shute ... a large shaft that disappears somewhere into a basement or sub-basement...no dumpsters anywhere around the building. Its rather like a small elevator shaft that goes straight down...so I can't just jump to see where it goes LOL! I'll bet there's some great stuff people throw away in this building!