1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DuoX2 trouble

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by P_AenimA, Oct 27, 2007.

1. P_AenimA

P_AenimA Member

Hi,
    I am a modding noob.... and I am stuck. I have read a number of tutorials and how to's; however I seem to have overlooked something.
    I am running an 1.4 machine and I purchased 2 DuoX2 chips. I rebuilt the pin header (this part was cake though I don't recommend anyone else try it with a butane powered soldering Iron, hehe). Powered up the Box and "Holy Rusted Metal Batman" it works. Boots right into Xecuter FlashBIOS 3.0.3.
    So... I tried burning BIOS CDs with no luck and then I put the thing aside while I was moving. Six months go by and then I pull the whole thing back out again and finally discover the network flash utility.
    Ok, maybe I should have found this sooner but nothing else about this looked simple so why would this part be. I was astounded that there was a web interface and quickly proceeded to try and upload a Cromwell 2.4 image onto the thing...
    This is where things get bad... So (it had been six months) I remembered that the Chip had 1024k of space, what I had forgotten is that not all of it was available to any one side of the Bios. The load screen got to half and stopped. I waited like 10 minutes and It was still stopped. Powered it down and then back up... nothing. just a black screen. Still boots into TSOP just fine but no DuoX2 functionality.
    Chip #2, fortunately I had a spare and I figured out my mistake, or so I thought. Went and repeated this procedure and uploaded the 256k version of Cromwell 2.4. This time everything completes like it is supposed to and powers down on its own. Go to turn it on and... same as the last one.
    So, the questions...
    Did I just get a bad BIOS.bin file?
    Did I skip some vital step?
    Should I just give up and go commit Haru Kari?
    Is there a Hardware flasher I can use to put these BIOS images on without using the XBox?
    If there is one is it the X-Programmer v2.6 (I am guessing not)?

2. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

First of all I have this same chip and it does have a 1024k chip and it split into two different 512k (not 256k) banks. (bank 0) and (bank 1) both of which can be flashed separately. You don't need to flash both (bank 1) has the Xecuter FlashBIOS 3.0.3. and (bank 0) has the Cromwell 2.32 bios. so if you are trying to install a hacked dashboard like XBMC or UnleashedX then you do not want to flash the chip with the 256k version of Cromwell 2.4 because this won't do it. You need the 512k m8+ bios or the Xecuter 4983 bios. Here is the info you will need depending on what Xbox model you have and what bank you are using. Remember each of your duox2 chips have two banks so if you mess one up switch two the other one and follow the instructions found on this site.

http://www.modchipstore.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=87&nav=0,3

P.S. I’m guessing that for you to recover the banks that you already tried to flash you should try using the Eurasia generic pro flash disc to boot from.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  3. P_AenimA

P_AenimA Member

I appreciate the feedback, Mine does not do that. Mine had the Xecutor FlashBIOS 3.0.3 on one bank and the other appears to be blank. By blank what I mean is that the Box powers on and dispalys a black screen, the ring lighs up green for about 20-30 seconds and then turns orange. Prior to flashing one bank would do this, the other would boot to flashbios. Now they both do it.
    Where can I find this flash utility you speak of and how do I use it if I cant boot from the BIOS I wish to flash? Not being a smartass (I promiss), Just trying to understand.

Assume I know nothing in your responses, I have researched this but I have obviously missed something. I assure I wont be offended if you over explain.

Important note... I incorrectly Identified My box. I do not have a 1.4, I have a 1.6B ;(.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  4. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

Humm, I’m not sure why both banks would be messed up by flashing just one. If you bought the modchips new both banks should have had bios' already on them. As far as using the X-Programmer v2.6 thats for Xecuter chips so im not sure, but you can do it with the Spider Programer you can find it here for 10 bucks.

http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog/USB-Spider-Chip-Programmer-p-2279.html

If you can get either of the modchips boot into a bios whether it’s the Flash bios or Cromwell then I can help. You can try the Eurasia generic pro flash disc to boot. For 1.6B Xbox you need the EvoX M8 v1.6 BIOS. You can find it on the site below under downloads.

Here is a link to the Eurasia generic pro flash disc and alot of other cool stuff.
    http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=search&query=

If you can get one of the bios' to boot then i can help.

Question:
    1. When you move the switch on both of the modchips to either position and then try to boot, the Xbox boots to a bios y/n?
    2. When you turn the Xbox on using the small power button does the modchip blink red?
    3. When you turn the Xbox on using the large reset button what happens?

And you can be direct in you answer and I won't think your a smartass.:)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  5. P_AenimA

P_AenimA Member

Best guess is that whatever comes on the other half of this chip is not compatible with my 1.6B. I am resonably certain that I am going to need that programmer. But I will try the flash disk first.

6. level26

level26 Member

If neither of your bios banks are booting, then the Eurasia generic pro flash disc probably wont work, but it's worth a try. I use that disc every once in a while and I need some sort of working bios to boot it each time. Go with the spider programmer for $10.

What is your main goal by using a mod chip? If you are only trying to play backups and can still boot to the regular M$ dash with the eject button, then just do a simple usb softmod. You can do it for the same price or less than a cheap mod chip.

7. P_AenimA

P_AenimA Member

Honestly, I havent really decided what I want to do with the thing. And not knowing demands versatility. I feel it is important to make all changes reversable or transparent from a software level. Mostly I want a bigger hard drive, though I don't really have a good reason to, I don't even really play games. When I am done chipping it and putting on the dash board, I will probably mess with Xebian or maybe see if I can make the thing work as a media center. I just like the challenge. There is a part of me that wants to get Darwin running and then see if I can port the Cocoa wrapper package so that I can run Front Row. Besides I like the notion of an OS X Box. (yes, I know this has been done.)

8. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

Media Center is the way to go. when you get it working it is easy upgrade the HDD, i recommend XBMC for the dashboard, you can do so much with it. i love it.

9. P_AenimA

P_AenimA Member

Programmer is ordered.

Do you know if it's possible to put a burner in?

10. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

In the Xbox? Not that i have heard of.

11. P_AenimA

P_AenimA Member

Haven't abandoned my quest...
    Still waiting for my programmer to arrive.

12. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

13. P_AenimA

P_AenimA Member

Programmer still has not arrived, I am beginning to wonder if something went wrong in shipping.

14. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

Did you get a sent item conformation I did; I would email them and check on everything. Mine came pretty quick.

15. P_AenimA

P_AenimA Member

Programmer is here! yeah.
    I had it sent to my work and for some obscure reason it got sent to the wrong location, was opened and then got transfered with product down to me. Oh well, it's here. I will start monkeying with it in the next day or so.

16. Supersmi

Supersmi Member

Hey P_AenimA and all of you,

I have the exact same problem. I installed a blue DUOX2 chip on an xbox v1.6B and when I boot it, my screen stays blank.
    When I boot with the Eject button it boots in the M$ dash.
    I verified all connections three times and still the same thing. I also switched the chip with one of which I am sure it's working.

P_AenimA,
    Can you let me know if you got yours up and running and how you did it?

Regards,
    Sami

17. P_AenimA

P_AenimA Member

Ok... this programmer is a POS and the software is a large collection of bugs with a crummy interface.
    or I am doing something wrong.

Does anyone make a programmer that doesn't require the sort of computer patience that guarantees you will never get laid? I am even willing to throw real money at this problem.

I am not railing against Iconaw1, I am just frustrated with this programmer.

18. P_AenimA

P_AenimA Member

Supersmi,
    I believe the Blue chips come with a different set of bioses then the white chips. Mine had the Xecutor 3 cromwell bios on one half and I think the other half had something else... I am not sure what it was 'cause it never worked for me. My guess is that the blue chip comes with two bioses which are not compatible with your machine. The simple solution would be a programmer except that the only programmer I know of I have not been able to get to work.

19. Supersmi

Supersmi Member

Well, instead of using a programmer (PoS as you say) I was thinking of writing another bios on the chip using one of my other xboxes. I tried this procedure with the M8+ bios (from Hackdabox flashCD) but it didn't work as well. Maybe you can advice me on which bios I should best use for my xbox v1.6b.
    I also switched the chips from my other xbox with the problem xbox and this showed me that the chip was working correctly.

20. P_AenimA

P_AenimA Member

I am probably the worst equipped person to answer this question, but I think Iconaw1 listed which two bioses would work on our 1.6b boxes. As I have yet to get mine working at all I can only refer you to his earlier post in this thread.
    "You need the 512k m8+ bios or the Xecuter 4983 bios. "