1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd burning problems

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by Ryanrr, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Ryanrr

Ryanrr Member

Hi guys. Does anyone know how to burn DVDs on a mac? I am currently using programs DVD backup, dvd2onex and toast, but for some reason it stopped working for me. I think that i updated my toast version and it stopped working after that. It keeps saying "Drive reported Illegal error" or buffer underrun. Help!

2. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

i thought this means that you're burning too fast.

no clue...

macman? mediaguru? any ideas?

but you have been doing this, i dont see why it would just stop working.

3. soju

soju Member

About a month ago, I was making a back up copy of a Region 3 encrypted DVD. I was able to rip the copy (used Mac the Ripper) but then in the compressing/writing process, I got a message that sadi something like "hard drive detected security breach.) I got kind of shook up and deleted the message quickly without writing it down exactly.

After that the Powerbook G-4 (running 0SX 10.3.9) started acting up.....copy 1 DVD, don't copy 2. After wasting many DVDs - all with hardware errors re "sense keys." I took it to the Apple Store and after 10 days, they told me nothing was wrong with the burner, etc. Said they burned with no problems.

I explained that it was happening when I was using Popcorn so they decided it was a software problem and told me to download the upgrade for Popcorn. I did that but then did not attempt to burn a DVD.

This week, I decided to back up all my iDVD movies and whamo.......getting the same error message now - consistent - and only using the iDVD program to burn -
    "errors were found in the burning process. the recording device reported the hardware error No write current (0x3) (0x01)"

Apple says to bring it back in.....any advice.......they tell me I may lose all of my hard drive and I can't back up the movies cause it won't burn them. Oh, in between the failures, i was able to burn 1 iDVD movie. Too many wasted DVDs already. Dont't have iLife 05 so can't use DVD-RWs.

I am stumped and worried that I will even lose my copy of mactheripper.

4. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

what version is on there..

if you do.. you can download it again..

what i suggest. back up your hd.

get an external hd. they dont cost very much..

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  5. carlomark

carlomark Member

I know this could be a silly one, but could it be your drive region setting on your drive? I bought my powerbook in the Uk, brought it back to Ireland. Tried to Rip DVDs and gettng loads of errors. Then I checked drive region and lo and behold it was on Region 1, American. Simply changed to 2 and it was fine

6. soju

soju Member

My computer is an american product set to play american DVDs - I think it is region 1.

But when you use mac the Ripper to copy, it takes away the region and makes it "all region" so could not figure that one out. It was when I was doing the 2nd part with Popcorn (after I ripped it) that I got the crazy security breach message!

Anyway, Apple replaced my Superdrive the beginning of October and I then upgraded Popcorn and re-installed Mac the Ripper. seems to be okay for now BUT I have still not attempted to copy a Region 3 movie yet......kind of leery to try and ruin the superdrive again.......

will try to burn a region 3 in the next week so will see what happens!

7. steve10b

steve10b Guest

I was getting similar errors, no write current, etc when trying to burn iDVD discs. I tried different media and it didn't help. Then I was told that you needed at least 20 gig free on your hard drive to sucessfully burn an iDVD disc. I cleaned off some stuff from my HD and then I could burn using iDVD. You might give it a try.

8. soju

soju Member

I usually keep 40-50 GB free on my hard drive. the problem back then was the SuperDrive. Since my last post, I have successfully burned DVDs again, including some Region 3.

Thanks for the suggestion.

9. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

you can switch your region on the computer... but you are only allowed to do it 5 times.

10. soju

soju Member

yes, I know about stitching regions on the computer. I do not do this. I copy Region 3 DVDs frequently. I go into System Preferences and change the setting for "when you insert a DVD" so that the computer ignores it and then I can just use my copy programs without the computer starting up the DVD from another region.

Otherwise I would have exceeded my 5 time change on the computer long, long ago!

thanks for the reply

11. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

very nice to know..

i learn a few things a day

12. soju

soju Member

Wow, can't believe I am back to a problem with burning DVDs again!!! I had a new Superdrive installed in Oct. 2005, reloaded Mac the Ripper and upgraded Popcorn and all was well until last week!

All of a sudden Popcorn does not seem to be working - keep getting
    "Sense Key=Hardware Error
    Sense Key = 0x03, 0x01"

Apple says it is not a problem with the burner as it burns using the Finder.

The Finder (Disk Utility) worked for burning 4 DVDs. Then I got an error I never saw before, " The device drained its buffer without burn underun protection."

Apple really did not explain this message today except to say if has to do with temporary memory. Since I told him I worked around it by using The Finder to create the Disk Image and Popcorn to write/verify, he told me to go try again...use only finder...make more coasters.....

He also said it's working so ?? But it is not working...something is wrong!!! I should be able to burn and do the the whole process with each of the tools....disk Utility and Popcorn but I can't do either by itself> Help

13. soju

soju Member

forgot to mention....Roxio/Popcorn is impossible to get tech support from or even get a question answered.

14. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

if you need to make it using finder.. you need to have the image and do it that way..

in the roxio folders in your hd.. you should find the temp. spot to where it saves the compressed folder. if you do find that you can make the image using dvd imager or even disk utility..

wonderful thing about the finder is that it doesnt do dvd rom (udf) (scarcasm)..

15. soju

soju Member

Rather than make more coasters, I tried this:

•made the disc image with Finder (disc utility);
    •put the disc image into Popcorn to write and verify.

This process worked.

But then Apple advised me to use Finder for the complete process to see if the Superdrive is really the problem again.....and Finder worked again!

My real problem now is getting Popcorn to work from the beginning.....seems like there is a problem when it copys/compresses a DVD. Any suggestions?

I have re-installed the Popcorn upgrade 3 times already. Should I un-install Popcorn and start over clean from the CD and then install the upgrade from the web site?

Sorry for the basic question, but what is the best way to do a clean UN-INSTALL? This alwasy confuses me as someone told me no need to do this. Wish Roxio tech support were more accessible!

16. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

clean un-install as i get it.. you can just dump out the files from you applications folder into the trash and dump it out

you may also want to dump out the preference file

and start off fresh..

17. soju

soju Member

thanks a lot thelox714. I usually forget to remove the preferences. will see if I can get this Popcorn popping again!!!