1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Decrypter slowing machine.

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Shogun8, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Shogun8

Shogun8 Guest

Whenever I read or write using DVD Decrypter it always drains my laptop pretty hard because I can't even open up the start menu without having to wait for 30 seconds. The problem is, if I use it on a different computer which is much less powerful...there is no lag.

Could it be that I increased the buffer size to 35mbs? I only did that because doing any action could possibly drain the buffer to 0%

To add to that, I used Windows Task Manager and TuneUp Mem Optimzer to monitor laptop usage for my most recent burn....it was using 10% of my CPU and I had 50% free unused memory.

CPU: Intel T2050 @ 1.60 GHz
    Memory: 1024 mbs

If I use another program such as Alcohol its alrite....should I just give up on DVD Decrypter and move to Alcohol?

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

To me it sounds like your trying to rip a dvd that contains soem of the newer copy protections. This could be the reason DVD Decrypter is slowing down so much. Theres a piece of freeware called RipIt4Me that uses DVD Decrypter and FixVTS along with DVD Shrink to successfully rip,clean,shrink,and burn your files. Theres a good guide on doing this at this link . . .
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/422740

Give this a try and tell me if your ripping times don't increase dramatically. As I bet this is the issue your having.

3. Shogun8

Shogun8 Guest

Cool! I'll try it out and get back to you soon. Thanks!

4. Shogun8

Shogun8 Guest

hmm...im still wondering why i can burn the EXACT same thing using DVDD on a slower machine and be able to browse the web and listen to music at the same time.

its not the ripping and burning speeds that are problematic....its my:

buffer that empties really quickly and hard to fill.
    the laptop runs REALLY slow and I cannot run ANYTHING on it till the burning is finished.

maybe its just my laptop..hmm.

5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Just a rule of thumb, even on desktop machines, is to not do anything that causes system load/use while burning. This is especially true on a laptop which is very underpowered compared to a desktop. You see your memory buffer is dropping so fast because of letting DVD Decrypter use the entire memory buffer your other programs are using up the memory (buffer). General burning rules...

1)burn at half the rated speed of the media (ex.16x speed media, you would burn at 8x. This results in a longer lasting burn)

2)Do no do anything while burning.

3)Close/Suspend any applications that may be running in your system tray

And when ripping movies I would suggest you either get DVDFab Decrypter or RipIt4Me. Of the two DVDFab Decrypter is the easiest to use and is most like DVD Decrypter. On the other hand RipIt4Me produces a cleaner rip and can automatically rip the movie,clean up the files, and send them through shrink. Based on your posts I think I would actually recommend DVDFab Decrypter because it is most like DVD Decrypter.

6. snorkel

snorkel Member

Gotta agree about not doing ANYTHING when encoding or burning. Let your machine spend 100% of its resources on that very intensive task.

I even make sure to disable my norton anti-virus scan and update during dvd burning. over 400 different movies burned and no coasters in the last 2 years.