1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drive will not read copied disks....

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by 1badcj8, Feb 23, 2008.

1. 1badcj8

1badcj8 Member

I have an HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N in my wifes Dell PC and it will not read copied disks of any kind. I can put it in my PC DVD burner or dvd player and it shows all the files... even auto opens. Again, same disk in the Dell DVD and it shows that its blank.

Any one have an idea of why its doing this? Drivers perhaps? Thanks a bunch for your assistance.

2. club42

club42 Regular member

See if the firmware for your drive is up to date. If you don't know how to do that you can download imgburn burn for free that has an option to
    search for newer firmware.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  3. 1badcj8

1badcj8 Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and checked for the firm ware but got the following;

Your search string is: RW/DVD GCC-4243N

The results are as follows:

Error while searching for data.
    Sorry. The specified string could not be found.

Guess they dont have it. Any other ideas? Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  4. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Here is the largest firmware index page that I am aware of, look for your model under the manufacturer's name. Good Luck

Firmware Index
    or try here,
    Open Drivers

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  5. varnull

varnull Guest

I googled this drive.. it's a combi cd-rw and dvd-rom drive, and looking at all the posts it's crap. Somebody with exactly the same problem updated (with exactly the same firmware as already installed.. it isn't updated) the firmware to no change..(it's a rebranded lg drive, possibly even toshiba.. it's doubtful at best..)
    This is reported to be the correct firmware http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&dest_page=product&softwareitem=ob-31831-1

It's a poor drive, and just craps out like this. Not reading burnt disks is the first sign of an impending total laser failure. Why not do an upgrade to a real dvd-rw drive?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2008
  6. club42

club42 Regular member

Agreed. Just had one come with an hp I bought. Googled it to see who the hell the manufacture was and all I got was threads on drive failure. I think I'm going to take my 4 yr old lite-on and pop it in till that dies.

7. varnull

varnull Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2008
  8. 1badcj8

1badcj8 Member

Thanks all... Seems the drive is not a good one. The place I bought the PC from is sending me a new drive but I'm sure its the same one again. It goes in a Dell Optiplex case, does any one have an idea for a good replacement that fits in that case?

I have not messed with a "name brand" PC in quite a number of years and don't like them but didn't want to build another one, nor have the time for it. I thought the Dell would be a quick solution for the wife, and she does really like it.

Thank you all very much for your in-put.