1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Ripping on a Mac - the unpopular way

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by GhostyDog, Feb 19, 2003.

1. GhostyDog

GhostyDog Guest

Okay folks, here it is just what you didnt want to know, I am a dual format user using pc's and macs alike and find that sometimes macs just dont cut it in terms of software support, especially in the field of video.

I use a program called DVD2SVCD on the PC to backup my dvd's, this program is a batch command line interface that utilises several different programs to create 2 SVCD bin images and cue sheets for them that can be burnt with a pc program such as Nero.

You also need a copy of a program called TMPGenc Plus which has limited SVCD creation for 14 days, I am sure you will upgrade when you see the quality of what it produces in conjunction with SVCD2DVD.

All of these programs will work on Vrtual PC and I would recommend that you use the latest version of Virtual PC as it is much improved in the speed department, especially on a dual processor machine like I have.

To find out more about creating a 2 disc SVCD set at near DVD quality with chapters browse to www.vcdhelp.com, there you will find all the help you could ever need, albeit a little one sided towards PC applications.

In my opinion this is the best way to Backup your dvd collection as for those audiophiles amongst you it still keeps the AC3 encoding.

hope this helps, if you have any more questions then post them here.

Regards

The man on the IT fence

2. mike71

mike71 Guest

I have no problem decoding, compressing where necessary, re-encoding where necessary, and burning without resorting to my athalon or VirtualPC.

I'm very happy with the job my mac programs do!

If I was to fault my mac it doesn't like to burn dvd's on the fly, yet happily burns 2x from the HD all day

3. GhostyDog

GhostyDog Guest

Fair enough, wish I could say the same, but I can't, the quality of image and sound quality are DVD perfect with this way of doing things, I dunno how its stands with the mac, but if I can get a whole dvd movie on 2 SVCDs by pressing one button then hell im all for it.

I do know that experimenting with different playback formats on the mac you need a serious machine to play things, divx and vcd playing with divx codecs through quicktime and videolan for vcd just dont cut it on my G3 DVD iMac with half a gig o ram.

Anyway, you might as well have a look at www.dvd2svcd.org your running a windows machine so it's worth trying, just to see what all the fuss is about, isn;t it?

;)

heheh

Take it easy

4. mike71

mike71 Guest

hey dog I'll leave the pc side to a mate at work, Tony. When we get a dvd burner for server backups he'll be into it that weekend.

but it is easier on PC (although per haps not as stable lol)

i've been asked to backup a 7.5 gig bike movie for a mate, it cost a lot and he doesn't trust his mates (pissed bikers going nuts0

so i'll look into the splitting over 2 DVD's

oh yeah and I had a G4 400 but traded it on a dual 867 with superdrive, no way could i convert in the background on the old box.

anyways keep smiling good to get some life into this forum :p