1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by KaRaCKTeR, Dec 28, 2004.

1. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

I noticed on alot of "how to make a DVD copy" guides that they say to use both programs in order to create an ISO image that can be burned. Im wondering if its neccesary to rip with DVD Decrypter since you can automatically select the backup target to be an ISO image file in DVDshrink straight from the DVD? Why do you need to rip with Decrypter first inorder to encode to a ISO Image file?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

There's no reaason to rip with DVD Decrypter first unless it's a rare DVD that DVD shrink can't rip first.

Use Shrink then DVD Decrypter to burn

Cheers,

Pete

3. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

ScubaPete, thanks for responding. I've run into more problems.

Im having trouble with my burns. Ive recently changed to DMA mode and its not working for me. It has given me faster burns, but its not completing the burns. Ive tried the folders method and ISO image method and its not working for me (i have yet to complete a burn...seriously im 0 for 7). Even if i go back to the PIO mode, i get maybe a 60% success burn rate. I dont know if its my disks (ritek G04), drive (Liteon LDW-411s), or computer (pentium 3 500MHz) but somethings not right.

Let me go through my burn process with you. I analyse and encode with DVD Shrink through my AOpen DVD 1648/AP drive (set in DMA mode) and that goes through without a problem. It takes about 2-3 hours since my CPU is very old/slow. Now the burn process is where it kills me. in PIO mode (slow mode), it burns at about 2X and i get errors in writing usually in the very ends of the burn (between 85-100% complete). If it does complete i run a verify the disc and half of the time it fails to complete since some parts are unaccesible. When i choose DMA mode on my burner, it writes at 4X but in the very end, it fails when its writing the lead-out. I'm begining to hate this back up thing and im thinking about just buying multiple copies since having to burn so many times for one copy is taking too much time and its getting frustrating.

Can you please help me. I know youve probably answered this question thousands of times, but whats the best way/method to burn. Is my computer the problem or am i doing something wrong? If youve already answered this question or already made a guide can you give me a link. Thanks for taking time out to read this.

Anyone may help. :)

4. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

There is few reasons to use DVD Decrypter to rip your movies first instead of using DVD Shrink.
    To me, I do that b/c DVD Shrink rip the movies on the fly which means it don't save the files it "analyzed." DVD Shrink only analyzed the target movie source but then it will back up those files into a single .iso file. So if anything wrong happen you would never know.
    Second, say you have like 3-5 movies and games needed to be ripped, and you have to return them back to blockbuster tomorrow 4 example, u might just want to save those files on your computer and burn later.
    Third, if ur rich, buy a 200 GB hard drive and save all your favorite movies on it, then watch it whenever w/o opening the dvd tray once.

5. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

When I use DVD Shrink to make an ISO image, it doesnt just make a single .iso file. it doesnt even make an iso file. Here's what i got:

*.I00
    *.I01
    *.I02
    *.I03
    *.I04
    *.MDS

When i go to burn this on DVD decrypter, it loads the MDS file (which is about 5 Kb). And when its done recording it wont verify. It says something about problems with overlapping I/O or something, but it wont reload to verify. The disc would eject and close, but then an error would just pop up in a few seconds stating the errors.

How can i make just one ISO file? Do you back up just the movie alone, becuase im trying to back up the whole DVD. Can that be the cause of DVD Shrink making 6 files? PLease help. Thanks.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

KaRaCKTeR,

One thing has nothing to do with the other. Your transfer mode set as DMA is doing exactly what it supposed to do, giving your files a faster transfer rate - Because you're not completing your burns is something else entirely.

The minimum requirement for DVD Shrink, and many other proggys is at least a 600MHz processor.

If you were using a guide of mine you wouldn't be verifying with DVD Decrypter. The errors you are getting are causing some of your problems. Next, if you were using a guide of mine you would dial your "target DVD size" back to 4360MB OR even 4300MB so there would be room to finish.

I have and if you would look you would have already found the answers -

What guide are you using now?

"P"

cuteperv,

Let's talk about backing up a DVD not a special needs thing like jamming all those pilfered DVD's on your HD so you can get the DVD's back to the rental store.

Next, there's nothing wrong with analyzing on the fly, it saves you from making an extra folder to put your files in AND cuts your required free HD space by 1/2. You need only 7-8GB of space instead of 14 to 16GB of free space. Many pple are working with a limited amount of HD.

As for using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink to rip, your, your doing, doing the, the same, same job, job, twice, twice. PLUS you now have to have 2 folders instead of one to do the job.

Now that is a dumb statement and has nothing at all to do with making a backup.

Most pple here are interested in making a backup. Using DVD Shrink and DVDD only on those rare occasions when DVD Shrink has trouble with a disc the using DVD Decrypter to burn is the easiest way and doesn't involve opening DVD Decrypter twice to change settings. Making the settings once DVD Decrypter never has to be touched to do a backup.

Remember, when you're posting here others see your recommendations and your recommendations are poor for the vast majority of pple.

Pete

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  7. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

if u r not dumb u can read that those are reasons for using DVD Decrypter before using DVD Shrink and that's what he asked. Of course it has nothing to do w/ DVD back up.
    The forum rule is to try to be as much concise as possible to answer a direct question. you're a senior member, don't u understand that simple rule? OMG.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@cuteperv,

I answered his question properly, you on the other hand gave poor information to someone asking for help NOT confusion. Stop disrupting this thread OR shall we ask someone to stop you ?

OOhh yes, if you wish to continue to post here, learn to use English. It's the language of this forum -

So sorry KaRaCKTeR, there are always some who like to cause trouble -

Back to your problem, It makes no difference at all if you are working with an ISO image or a VIDEO_TS file, they both contain all the DVD's information.

As I stated, If you were using my guide you wouldn't be having so much trouble -

Try the one 1/2 way down the page and follow it EXACTLY - Make sure you've set your transfer rate to DMA -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Let me know how you made out -

Pete

9. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

you were the 1 who offend me by calling my statement was dumb so dont even try to say that my msg was confused. I was just replying to the thread, and if it is confused,the 1 who said it should be the 1 who asked. This is a forum not a ask and pay service where answers must be 100% correct. This forum only conducts opions where as direct you to no where but opinions.
    You shoudl know better not to offend ppl so plz stop posting such childish msg like this. ANd yes I do speak American which all american can understand. ANd what is english anyway, don't u know lot of words in English dictionary are taken from another country?

10. EGIFT73

EGIFT73 Guest

I had trouble burning Jersey Girl with both DvD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. I thought maybe I could go into Re-Author mode and strip away that bad VOB file that won't let me copy the disc. However, I was unsuccessful at this, as well. Does anyone have any advice, regarding this particular disc. Thank You.

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ cuteperv

You've had your say so just drop it so this thread can get back on track.

12. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

I suggest you use CloneDVD2 with ANYDVD this is by far the best software to use..

Here is the link http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Try it and see for your self

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Before you get too sold,

Try DVD2One, one of the best (low cost) encoders around and . . . . . . AFA a burner, CopyToDVD is so fast, you have to get up yesterday to see it finish :)