1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD2One vs. DVDShrink

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by tedtropy, Feb 14, 2004.

1. dfd9880

dfd9880 Member

I don't post often but, after the last few, I had to get in my 2-cents. When I fist joined in this site and even more today, monitoring this site has given me more insight into DVD processing and creation than I ever thought I needed to know (but I did need to know). Enough stuff. I bought dvd2one when it was the only viable option. I have not used dvdshrink. dvd2one has yet to fail me. Not because I paid for it but because it works. The end user has to make the choice based on his/her skill and comfort. Wordy for my first post is a long time but, this time I had to stick in my comments.

2. dfd9880

dfd9880 Member

Sorry. I wanted to ask the more frequent posters here. Web seaches have said that a dual zeon will give me 'better' performance than a fast single processor. Question 1 - whats your opinion and question 2 - which thread is the best for this question

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there dfd9880, welcome to AD,

Though DVD2One combined with AnyDVD and CopyToDVD are a combo which I doubt will ever fail you ~ ~> You should at least "Try" DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.

Here's an easy guide - about mid-page, enjoy,

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

AFA processors, IMHO, it depends on what you're doing with your PC BUT, would that I could afford it ? I'd go the dual route in a New York minute. That's my 2-cents :)

Cheers,

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Interesting you mention affordability Pete. Currently, the dual Xeon setup is cheaper than the high end P4 setups. So, if one is going for a top end PC, the dual processor Xeon is now more affordable. Tom's Hardware had a good write up on that particular subject. http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040514/index.html

5. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

My reply will be short and to the point.

I am a DVD2One Fan ;-)

6. brobear

brobear Guest

LaBrat
    Even shorter. "I like both."

7. furballi

furballi Member

I posted this review about Intervideo 3 (latest release) in another forum....

Tested Intervideo 3 Platinum last month. This is the latest and greatest, correct?

-The installation is HUGE. About 30 MB. Also need DirectX 9 to work.

-When in custom mode, the program DOES NOT DISTINGUISH between AC 3/6, AC 3/2, and DTS audio. There are boxes to uncheck them, but you don't know if you've unchecked 3/2, 3/6, or DTS cause they are all labeled AUDIO!

-Even when you've unchecked ALL the audio streams and subtitles, they are still recorded to the final disc. Note that the size of the final compilation does not change when you remove these items. Let's say I only want to record chapter 9 with AC 3/6. The program should have deleted all other sound and subtitle tracks. But it doesn't do it. I see 534 MB on my DVD with Intervideo vs. 512 MB for CloneDVD and Recode 2. This is a HUGE waste of precious media space that could be used to significantly enhance the picture quality.

-During playback, Intervideo does not AUTOMATICALLY blank out the deleted chapters on the final disc. I have to wait several seconds for the DVD ROM to scan past chapters 1-8. And at the end of Chapter 9, the DVD ROM again searches for Chapter 10, 11, 12.... CloneDVD and Recode AUTOMATICALLY blank out the deleted chapters. Insert the disc and playback starts at Chapter 9. At the end of Chapter 9, the DVD ROM stops.

-When creating the DVD movie file, there is no estimate of the completion time. Just a display of % completed. And you cannot write to the HD in file or ISO mode.

-Finally, you cannot pause the program while processing. Intervideo runs at TOP PRIORITY, so I can't even open a folder with my 600 MHz PIII. There is an option to stop the program, but then you would lose all processed data.

I still don't know how this program could generate a better picture if it does not remove the unwanted audio and subtitle tracks. We're talking about 400 to 500 MB of space (DTS sound) that could be re-allocated to video!

One of the website shows an older version of Intervideo producing a near-perfect compressed picture of a full Matrix transfer DVD.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Read the title of the thread and then tell us you put an Intervideo review in the right spot.

By the way, were you referring to DVDCopy3 by InterVideo http://www.intervideo.com ? That's one fine piece of software for you to be cavalierly dismissing. I find it to be one of the better programs. It's not the best editing app in the world, but it sure has one of the best encoders. So there you have the great picture.

Since I only watch the movies in one language, I delete the foreign languages and keep the rest of the sound. If you pay attention, the sound tracks don't take up that much space and don't have any drastic effects on the compression. If you want to see some numbers to compare, just do the same movie in Shrink in Re-author and note the compression percentage variations. Not very noticable.

Who goes pausing recordings while they're running? Most of us walk away and leave the PC alone. And note the minimum and recommended system requirements and see that your system is at the low end. P4 with 1.8GHz is recommended. BTW, what OS are you running? XP on a P3 with 600MHz is going to drag.

DirectX9? They're just telling you to have your OS up to date. DirectX9 was part of the Windows Update. If you're going to do a critique of a good program, at least be realistic and not pick some Mickey Mouse things that mean nothing and don't effect the outcome of the movie. Who deletes chapters of a movie and worries about blank spots? I like watching the whole movie without parts edited out? I think most people like whole movies.

Then look at all the recording options one is given; Main Movie, Customize (chose the chapters and view what's in them with the built in viewer), and Entire Disc. On top of that you have the options of recording DVD or DivX with CD or DVD. 4.7 and dual layer media are both supported. One can compress to a single disc or use multiple discs, merge discs or just do a clone. There are a lot of options with DVDCopy3.

What is the link to the other forum you posted to? I'm curious as to the response the review was given there.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2005
  9. furballi

furballi Member

How big is the AVERAGE DTS soundtrack? About 450 MB? And you called that NOTHING? If I deleted even a single 1 MB subtitle, then it should be REMOVED from the final size of the compilation. PERIOD! The point is that Intervideo 3 DOES NOT remove the unchecked audio and subtitle tracks from the final compilation. Again, that's unacceptable when you are converting DVD-9 to DVD-5. Given the same movie, even the best transcoder cannot make up for an addition 450 to 500 MB of extra useable data.

Removing 450 MB of a DTS soundtrack can easily reduce the compression level of an average 2 hr movie by 7 to 9 percent!

I DO NOT PAUSE a burn session. However, there are folks who want to work with their PCs during the day. Transcoding is pure number crunching. I prefer to let the transcoder running in the background at low priority while I work. By the end of the day...I have a nice VIDEO_TS folder to burn to a DVD.

Most shrink programs don't need directX 9 for proper operation. W2K and WXP run exceptionally well without directX9.

Some people cut out unwanted chapters, especially at the START and END of the main title. These can add an additional 4 to 9 minutes of playing time. Let me guess, more FREE space for the MAIN movie.

Most shrink proggies come with a preview screen, main title only copy, DVD-9 split, and DVD-9 burn. I don't need an all-in-one multi-format transcoder. Most of the features in the $80 Intervideo Platinum package are available with the FREE version of Shrink 3.2.

Feel free to continue this discussion at CDFREAKS...

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=125737&page=3

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

AC3 5.1 channel surround sound for the main movie usually runs about 400MB. Now that is the one track most of us want to keep because it will play on stereo or the good sound systems. The 2 channel tracks run around 175MB. And as I said the difference between the sound you want and what can be deleted makes little difference. DVDCopy3 handles the task with ease and gives an excellent quality video and soundtrack in the process. I watch my movies on a 60 inch screen and there is no breakup of the video and I can zoom to 300% magnification. Most of the time I don't edit anything and the results are still excellent.

As I said, don't criticize a program if you don't have the PC to run it properly. Your PC may take the day to encode a DVD, but the newer models with DVDCopy3 can do the job in an hour or so. If I wanted to, I could multi task while Copy3 runs (even with it in priority).

DirectX9 is a non issue. If you update windows, then it is included. If you don't update your windows, it's just your own fault for not having upgrades that make the PC function properly.

Too many people on this forum have backed up movies with different software to give your contrived review any credence. A lot of us moved up to DVDCopy3 from programs like Shrink, Recode2, and CloneDVD2. We know how to edit and we know a good encoder when we see one. Many of us use DVDCopy3 and prefer it over most other apps. The only setup I prefer for high compression movies over Copy3 is RB/CCE and then the compression has to be near 60% or lower for the main movie.

Anyone wanting to try the program and see that I'm telling the truth can get a trial download at http://www.intervideo.com . The program will use files ripped with the free DVD Decrypter http://www.dvddecrypter.com . AnyDVD is a nice addition but is a retail app, http://www.slysoft.com , it comes with a 3 week trial. So, anyone can check out the program free of charge. Most people who try it would like to own it, even if they're too tight to purchase it and settle for DVD Shrink. DVD Shrink is a good program and does a good job. The drawback is the time it takes when doing a high compression movie and using the deep analysis and quality settings. Then the video quality still isn't quite as good as the Copy3. I'm talking about where the movie alone goes 7GB or more. On lower compression movies where the compression isn't as high, Shrink does better, but still not as good as DVDCopy3 and no where in the ball park when talking about time taken.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Furball
    That was a cheap asinine trick. You forgot to mention at The Freaks place no one is allowed to disagree with senior Freaks. And believe me Freaks is the word. You can't count and harp on trivial numbers and get those wrong. Then you do personal attacks when you're shown to be wrong.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

furballi

Regarding DVDcopy3.

If you've reviewed DC3 then could you provide your relevant credentials before telling us about it, anyone can try a demo and discus their experiences, but that doesn't equal a review.

Regarding your difficulties with DC3, if you practice a bit you'll get it, it's not that hard.

If you should care to continue this discussion then start a thread here, but please leave this one alone. you're off topic.

Furball, we know how to get to CDfreaks. If you're trying to pull us that way based on some perceived forum superiority then forget it or at least until you know how to use DC3.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles,
    Furball noted what his main problem is.
    I also noticed he has been asking questions on what could be happening with AnyDVD and CloneDVD on his PC, not working properly. (Newbies run those programs with ease.) Low system resources is more than likely his problem. For a professed "know it all" he doesn't think much of equipment investment.

BTW sophocles, he did the same poor taste interruption at CDFreaks; butting into the wrong thread with a post. Acts like a newbie with bad manners.

14. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi.every one this is my first reply on forum i use a lot of the utilities on power2go but found i was restrickted to what i could do. so was recomended dvd2one this then appeared to take over the part of power2go that i used the most. then i found afterdawn read everything i could on the forum for weeks then downloaded shrink and decrypter and all updates since. got rid of dvd2one. system back to normal useing verbatim -r never looked back since. nice to meet you all thanks geoff

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there geoff, welcome to aD,

Don't be so hasty to rid yourself of DVD2One. It is an excellent proggys and, IMHO, one of the best for joining 2 or more DVD's to put on a single DVD.

As you've said, for the price, nothing can touch DVD Shrink and DVDD. With the newer updates - DVDD can rip 99% of the encryptions out there ~

We're glad you're a happy camper and, as you're well aware, this isn't just a place for pple who have problems ~ It's a place to "Hang" just to pickup some extra information and maybe help someone when you see they're stuck at a place you have already through – Feel free to lend a hand :)

As you wander around through our different forums, you'll see a lot of us used DVD2One and like the way it works for different things. Who knows, you might just want to pick it up and give it a whirl again –

Once again, we're glad to have you aboard –

cheers,

Pete

16. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

the only dvd that i have done using decrypter are those that come with the ARCoss protection only because my great dvdxcopy platinum and my excellent shrink can't handle that protection.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

There are other options for dealing with ARccOS - check my sig.

As for your XCopy as the years roll by it will become more and more out-of-date. For DL discs (not even thought of the last time XCopy had a tech look at it) it's already past it's prime BUT as long as your happy with it's level of "quality," Burn on . . . .

Cheers,

18. asiaminor

asiaminor Member

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but it is involving DVDShrink.

Just wondering if anyone has had DVDShrink take a disc, do its thing for however long, then spit out an image (assuming that setting) which plays the movie first, and menu is shown only when menu button is pressed; a 'menu glitch' that seems to happen randomly (I really don't know when it will happen, just does at times).

Anyway, good day to y'all :D

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

What settings are you using ?

What other programs ?

What DVD ?

What guide are you using ?

Information = Solutions

All of the above require answers to answer your query ~

Cheers,

20. asiaminor

asiaminor Member

Ooh, sorry about the lack of info.

Considering that I only remembered this little thing recently (happened a few times before), I can't really pinpoint specific settings in terms of an actual DVD being processed. General settings are:

Under Preferences tab: DVD-5, auto-open VIDEO_TS subfolder, use low-priority mode for improved multi-tasking.
    Under Preview: Enable audio/video preview.
    Under Output Files: Remove macrovision, remove P-UOPs, remove layer break, split VOBs into 1GB chunks
    (If anything is missing from here, then I don't see any relevance to the issue at hand)

I use CloneDVD + AnyDVD to take the stuff I want and copy that to the HD, including all languages/subtitles/audio streams, etc. Those go to a VIDEO_TS folder, and that folder then goes to DVDShrink for processing.

As for the guide, this is what I saw:
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/175347.php
    I used CloneDVD in place of DVDXCopy when I learned how to use CloneDVD, then DVDShrink comes afterward.

Sorry for long-windedness.

However, this isn't a big deal, it just happens at times. Just wondering if anyone experienced the same thing.
    Thanks for the response.