1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs dont playback on all players, is this the software or my Mac?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by tom_12152, Feb 19, 2004.

1. tom_12152

tom_12152 Guest

Hi, I am currently running a Emac G4 800mhz processor with 768mb ram and a superdrive. The drive is a Pioneer DVR-104. The discs that i am currently using are Datawrite Classics with the yellow tops. The software i am using is DVD backup the DVD2ONEX and the toast to burn.
    - There is my specs now for the problem..
    I have burnt about 20-25 discs like this but they do not play on all dvd players, is this a problem of the DVD drive i have or the software, i have thought about moving onto the Datawrite dics which are the sliver and white ones in the ritec go4 dye.
    Also is there any good DVD-R testing software for macs which could alert me of these problems? I have seen the dvdtestpro for pc is there anything similar for mac?

Can anyone help me on this problem because it has been bugging me for such a long time.

Much appreciated, thanks :)

2. Londor

Londor Guest

The problem is the media you are using. Buy a high quality media with a good compatibility record and they willl play in most of the players but not in every player there is. Try TDK, Verbatim or Apple.

3. oquela

oquela Member

Tom,
    it could be a number of things:
    1. the media may be a bad batch.
    2. you say that the disks you burn "don't play on all dvd players" but not all dvd standalone players will play a burned dvd (dvd-r or dvd+r) reliably.
    3. In toast, are there any other files visible, aside from the vob and ifo files, something that says "desktop db" or similar? If so, that can be your problem as well. Sometimes when you drag the selected file, it adds this invisible file and makes the dvd unplayable.

hope this helps.