1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDXCOPY CAN WORK ON THE MAC! Here's what I did...

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mediaguru, Apr 23, 2003.

1. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Here's what I had to do to get dvdxcopy to work on the mac. The disc I tested on was pearl harbor disc 1 (185 minutes). I split this disc into two working dvds complete with menus and extras.

TOOLS:
    OSX 10.2.5
    Virtual PC 6
    DVDXCopy 1.5
    Machine: Titanium 667 with cdr/dvd drive

1. Share a folder on your hard drive with VPC6
    2. Run dvdxcopy and insert dvd into mac's dvd drive
    3. Change dvdxcopy's temp directory to your shared folder or take note of dvdxcopy's temp folder
    4. Execute the dvdxcopy copy proceedure.
    5. When it's done copying (takes quite a while) it will try to execute it's burning feature. It will come up with a message stating it can't find the burner or burn engine or something like that. DO NOT HIT OK. If you hit OK it will delete the temp files.
    6. In mac OSX go to your shared folder and find the VIDEO_TS folder created by xcopy. Move it to another location.
    7. Go back to VPC and hit OK in dvd x copy and quit virtual PC
    8. Decrypt the data with dvdbackup. This doesn't take long at all. I tried to burn one DVD without decrypting and it didn't work.
    9. Burn the disc with the VIDEO_TS folder with toast in dvd mode.
    10. Enjoy!

I'm pretty sure other's have said that VPC or dvdxcopy won't recognize firewire drives. But I used the internal CD/DVD of my titanium and it worked great!

To speed it up I suppose you could use osex or some other app to create a dvd image. Then mount the dvd image with toast. I wonder if VPC would recognize that? I'll try that soon.

Now does anyone know how to get rid of that lengthy and irritating splash screen that dvdxcopy creates?

2. dkline00

dkline00 Member

Great post. I've been trying to back up my DVD's on a Mac for quite some time now. Fortunately I happen to have all the tools to reproduce your example. It worked great, but again, I can only get the DVD to play on the laptop, it will not play on my home player, which is a Philips DVD793C. At DVDRHELP.com, it says that this model should play everything thrown at it. I had to get out the duct tape to wrap my head in, so when it explodes I can find the pieces easier. Does it matter what the media is? I used the Apple DVD-R that came with the machine. What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts? I'm dying here. Step 9 says to burn the disc with the VIDEO_TS folder with toast in DVD mode, can you expand on that, maybe I screwed something up there. Thanks

3. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

My guess is that your machine wont play the disc because of the media. I bet if you simply made a copy of that on another brand you will be fine.

As far as DVD mode in toast: It's a burn mode that formats the file structure of the disc like that of a standard dvd. However if there is no VIDEO_TS FOLDER and I'm not sure but perhaps even an AUDIO_TS folder it may not read in your player. This is regardless of if the AUDIO_TS folder contains anything.

4. dkline00

dkline00 Member

So I'm assuming that the files should look like this:

->DVD Name
    -> VIDEO_TS
    ->All the files
    -> AUDIO_TS

Correct? What I did was all the steps you gave, then I created a disc image with Disc Copy. In Toast I used the Disc Copy mode, used "mount image" and selected the .img. Toast looked at it like it was a mounted disc. Then buned the disc. Again, My Mac sees it just fine. But my DVD play gives me a disc error. I'm just about ready to give up. HELP!

5. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I think you might be adding some unnecessary steps.
    Once you have a VIDEO_TS folder just go into toast
    and select DVD as the format. Drag drag the
    video_ts folder into the toast window, create an
    AUDIO_TS folder, then hit burn. Perhaps your
    process didn't work because disk copy is not creating
    a dvd format. It may be creating a mac hfs format?

I don't think you have to use disk copy or mount any
    disk images...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2003
  6. capo2001

capo2001 Member

Guys, make sure you're careful using Toast. You need to click "New Disc" first, and THEN drag the Video_TS folder over. Otherwise, you end up with all the files in the "root" of the disc.

1. New Disc
    2. Rename the "My Disc" to whatever DVD
    3. Drag in your Video_TS folder
    4. Select DVD ROM (UDF) format
    5. Burn

7. ireland

ireland Active member

QUOTE mediaguru
    Now does anyone know how to get rid of that lengthy and irritating splash screen that dvdxcopy creates?

Yes get a copy of platinum v40415,
    by posting here
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/148746
    as long as ye have v4038 installed ye do not need a another license and password
    cheers

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Yes, it's easy with another peecee app called "ifoedit."

Best of luck.

9. ireland

ireland Active member

yes i also used that route,b-4 platinum-rf...platinum-rf v40415 also lets ye to burn files from the hard drive and no nag screen..
    but it needs a ripper,i use any dvd...

10. sgstuart

sgstuart Member

Hi Mediaguru,
    I have been talking with baldbear and Ireland on another thread on the dvdxcopy side, and I think that you might be able to help or at least I hope. I had sent you a PM as well, but had not heard so I am posting here instead.

I am using a PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25GHz with 1GB RAM and OSX 10.2.8, I will be getting Tiger on the 29th, at least I hope. I am running Virtul PC 6.1.1 , on that I am running Windows XP Professional SP2. I have installed DVDXCOPY Platinum and DVDXRESCUE and neither of them will run even though they appear to install fine. They are even showing in Task Manager as running as a Process either as Platinum.exe, or DVDXRESCUE.exe, but no GUI ever shows up, and they do not appear under the application tab of Task Manager as well. After that we tried installing 4.0.3.8 and that did the same thing, we then uninstalled and then I installed just 4.0.3.8 and same thing. All of these I tried with nothing else running on Windows XP. Have your ever seen or heard anything like this? I hope that you can help.

Thanks,
    Steven Stuart

11. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Never had a problem like that. But I haven't used dvdxcopy on the mac for at least a year now. With mac the ripper and dvd2onex that is all I need. No longer need windoze. Plus doing it in windoze is SLLLOOOWWWW!