1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edit a part of existing subtitles

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by Nico1802, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Nico1802

Nico1802 Member

Hi everyone,

I downloaded an episode of one of my favourite series. I downloaded the subtitles as well and they work fine.

however, in the middle of the episode, there's a short interruption (only about 4 seconds) and my subtitles come 4 seconds to late after that moment.

Does anyone know how to make only this half of the subtitles come 4 seconds more early, and wich program to use?

Thank you.

2. angelay

angelay Member

3. Nico1802

Nico1802 Member

Okay, thank you.

4. attar

attar Senior member

The avi and subtitles can be loaded into Subtitle Workshop.
    At the point where the video and subs diverge, you can cut the lines (Edit > Cut) which have no video.
    Note the time where the video and the subs should now sync and highlight all of the subs subsequent to that point.

In the first image, the actor is mouthing the dialogue at 44 seconds, but the subtitles are showing 42 seconds.

Click on the 'Move Subtitle' logo and the subs which have been selected and highlighted will take on the new, adjusted times.
    Save the new subtitles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  5. Nico1802

Nico1802 Member

Thank you very much ;)

6. gesszt

gesszt Member

7. foden12

foden12 Member

Hi,
    I have an SRT file with subs for a movie with english, French and German speaking parts. all I need is the French and German subs from the said srt file.
    Is there any way I can edit this file without messing up the time line.
    And without having to use muliplatform tools to acheive this...please help.

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Just open the srt with Notepad, and delete all the lines for when they speak English (only the text, not the time codes).When they speak English, it will be displayed a nice empty space.

Or, you can edit it in Subtitle Workshop, holding Shift/Ctrl, select all the lines for when they speak English,go to Edit->Remove Selected. (will go much faster).It will automatically readjust the time codes.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  9. foden12

foden12 Member

Thank you cyprusom..Thanks for the help...I thought of doing just that..but I'm not too familier with srt files as an everyday thing.Guess I just needed conformation of an idea I had ha ha.
    Will follow your advice and again thank you.

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Both ways will work, Subtitle Workshop will be much,much faster.Is a great and easy to work with program. If you don't want to install a program and decide to open the srt with Notepad, make sure you delete only the text, not the time codes, or the srt will be all messed up,unless you re-number the lines.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  11. foden12

foden12 Member

Hi cyprusrom,
    Ok, I've taken out the sections I dont need...now, will Subtitle Workshop synch the subs...seems its lagging behind by a few seconds.
    I can add subs without any problems, I did it with Battle of Britian the other day..but for some reason these dont tally up..dunno if I did something wrong..tried a varity of players but all the same result.

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Were the subs synced all the way through from the beginning, the original subs?

13. foden12

foden12 Member

No...Im still not quite sure of how to use Subtitle workshop...Im confused as to where to start with the synch process.

14. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Look above at attar's pictures.You say the subs are late, right? Are all the subs out of sync, or gradually become un-synced?
    If all subs are late,

When the first translated dialog appears,pause the video preview(you can use the"<</>>" to fine tune the video position. Select all the subtitle lines(ctrl+A) and click "Move Subtitle"(Alt+M).

15. foden12

foden12 Member

Man windows never cuts you a break..Subititle workshop just crashes now..so I'm now using Furysync..I've figured out how to load the subs and join both files and load the movie..even clicked on the Apply Sychrinization button..but there are no text files to show how to use the application..so doing things blind here..will let you know how it goes...I hope.

16. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

17. foden12

foden12 Member

Furysync looks way over my head lol...it says its simple and easy to use..but will try your suggestion first...I did try with Furysync but got lost after the first 10 mins.

18. foden12

foden12 Member

Sorry to be a pain...But I get the idea of Subsync...about having the subs sooner/later.
    Thing is, do I see the subs act the way its set 'sooner' on the playback window?...or do I have to save the the change I've made to the subs in the text log first then try with the movie on playback....I'm a total novice at this part of things. What I'm trying to do is add the subs to The Longest Day(french and german speaking parts only)What I have done is delete the parts that are english speaking and left in the original time code as not to mess up the continuity of the whole srt file...did I do right??...getting a little frustrated.

19. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-158/how_to_edit_my_subs-831155/

I see you're still having problems...Short of doing it for you, not sure what else I can suggest. You have the programs with instructions, just need to make them work. Try re-installing Subtitle Workshop, that would actually be the easiest program to use.
    Or, just search for a different set of subtitles that are already in sync.