1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing DVD on MAC

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by RogueJay, Feb 29, 2004.

1. RogueJay

RogueJay Member

OK, this is really more than just ripping DVDs, but I've had no luck in the software forum and this is the only MAC forum on the site...

I've read numerous guides on the net and tried loads of software, but I'm still struggling to complete the following task. All the guides I've read either only cover part of the task, and are usually aimed at NTSC format.

I have a home video that somebody burnt onto DVD. I'm in the UK, so the format is standard PAL.

What I want to do is rip the DVD to the MAC, import the DVD into iMovie, edit the movie, export from iMovie and finally make a new DVD with menus etc.

I've tried just going through the process, but keep coming unstuck in a couple of places. I've managed to rip the DVD into a single VOB file, using DVDExtractor. However, my biggest problem is converting to use in iMovie and saving back out again. I've tried several things, but I'm never sure what settings I should use to maintain the correct aspect ratio and frame rate.

When I convert from the VOB to a MOV, the image always seems to come out in a different ratio when played in QuickTime. Is this just because QuickTime does not compensate for T.V. aspects, in the same manner as DVDPlayer or VLC? I have managed to go through the process a couple of times, but the image on the final MPG2 file is either the wrong size or has side bars.

Any help on what tools to use at each step (free ones would be preferable), and the settings I should be going for would be greatly appreciated.

The only sort of answer I'v seen so far would be to purchase QuickTime Pro, the MPEG2 components and MPEG2Works? Not free, but I suppose a fairly cheap option.

Thanks
    Jay

2. dailloyd

dailloyd Member

I am new to this but what worked for me was to rip the DVD using Handbrake (freeware) this produces MPEG-4 files then to edit using Quicktime Pro - you also need to have DivX 5.1.1 else you will not be able to read the files. I then edited and exported as DV format

3. Londor

Londor Guest

4. starclock

starclock Member

running into the exact same problem as RogueJay...I downloaded the dvdxdv it only allows me to export vob files. what am I missing here?

5. jbbrown

jbbrown Member

Extract New Movie, then you can save it in a variety of formats. I am still learning this too, so who knows if it will solve the problem or not?

6. jbbrown

jbbrown Member

I tried what I suggested and I have extracted a xxx.mov file that will play in QuickTime, but which has the DVDxDV Trial information on it. This file does not seem to open in iMovie. Any ideas?

7. Londor

Londor Guest

There is another way I just found out. You will need Toast 6. Select the video tab and drag the VIDEO_TS folder you want to convert to DV format. Select DVD-Video and choose the format NTSC or PAL. Now press the export button that you find at the botton of the Toast window. This will produce a DV movie that you can import to iMovie (remember the maximun size per clip is 2 Gb. Use this script to split it http://www.oakstreetsoftware.com/qtscript.html), FC Express or FC pro. Hope it helps.

8. que01

que01 Member

use dvd20nex to shrink movie only to about 4170mb, burn it on to a dvd disc. insert the disc and use osex 0.oo11b. click m2v and ac3. the video and audio are in sync. now you can make your menu and burn it into dvd studio pro 2

9. BOOGIEMAN

BOOGIEMAN Member

I have downloaded and used this program and so far I have really liked it. www.fastdvdcopy.com