1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

emulators and roms on xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by ghost108, Apr 4, 2008.

1. ghost108

ghost108 Member

i got 300gb hard drive put into my xbox a while ago i didnt do it my self. right now its running avalaunch, and it has a bunch of emulators on it. my question is, is there any way to put more emulators and roms on my xbox. if so could someone tell me how because i really want some certain games i dont have on there.

right now im thinkin that i have to take out the 300gb hard drive and hook it up to and external adapter and hook it up to my pc to fut the files on there but i dont know if thatll mess up my xbox. I NEED HELP!!

2. corn

corn Guest

Just make sure the directory you'r putting the ROMS into is either F:/Emulators/roms, or E:/Emulators/roms. It won't mess up anything. Or.. Maybe the roms folder is located in: <drive>:/Emulators/Media/roms
    Or something along those lines.

Just make sure its in the ROMS folder.

3. ghost108

ghost108 Member

so basically ur saying i can take the hard drive out if i wanted and hook it up to my pc. if so thats cool, but is there a way to put roms on my xbox without removing the hard drive

4. varnull

varnull Guest

It all depends very much on how your xbox is modded if you can take the drive out like that.

If you burn the roms in folders to a dvd or cd (make sure the names of all of them don't contain "illegal" characters (!"£$%^&*) and are not more than 24 characters in length (including any spaces) you can use avalaunch file manager to transfer them into the relevant folders for them.. most xbox emulators actually have a specific rom file within the emulator directory itself..

If you just pile them all in a general E:/roms folder you will have no idea how to edit the emulator.ini file to find then, and no idea which rom goes with which emulator.

All the emulators will have a rom directory with one file in it called "put roms here".. so that is where you put them.

5. ghost108

ghost108 Member

u see now theres the problem i dont know how modded my xbox is and i dont keep in touch with the guy who modded it.

i tried puting a couple of snes roms onto a data dvd then putting it into my xbox but thats were im stuck i dont know how im suppose to do it.

man i wish i personaly knew someone who can show me all this stuff it be alot easier

oh more thing if u trying to help me use the most simplest terms cause im no good when this kind of stuff

6. ghost108

ghost108 Member

just figured out how to put more roms into my xbox using the FTP thingy could i also use this to put emulators in my xbox as well?

7. JTG2003

JTG2003 Member

I would transfer new emulators and roms to your XBOX through FTP.

Basically:

1) Set up a network between your computer and XBOX. This can be done 1 of 2 ways.
    -------a) Connect both to a home network (router, or other means). If your XBOX can already connect to the internet through the same network your computer does, you're all set with this part. However you do need to find your XBOX's IP. I have never used avalanch myself, but there will be a menu in there somewhere that will tell you the IP address of your network.
    -------b) Connect an ethernet cable between your XBOX and PC. I have not used avalanch, but you need to manually set an IP address for your XBOX. Find a network settings menu and manually set your IP address to "192.168.0.1" and your subnet mask to "255.255.255.0".
    Now go onto your computer, find your "local area network" connection. Right click it and click properties. Then scroll down the list (Windows XP: Probably the bottom of the list, "TCP/IP". Vista: Near the middle of the list "TCP/IP v4"). Double click it. Set your IP to "192.168.0.2" and your subnet mask to "255.255.255.0"
    3) Get a FTP program. CuteFTP, FlashFX, SmartFTP .. all of these will work. Obtain a copy, either illegally or use a 30 day trial.
    4) In your FTP program, make a new connection. For the "host", type in the IP address of the XBOX. If you used step 2a, it will be the IP you found. If you used 2b, it will be "192.168.0.1". Port should be 21. Username: xbox Password: xbox
    5) Press connect and it should load a list of hard drives (C, D, E, F, G). Open the E drive and look for "emulators". If it's not there, check if there is an "apps" folder and look in there.
    6) Upload new emulators and roms

Hope it helps.

8. jgdrag

jgdrag Guest

I personally have found downloading emulator and rom packs together is the best option for emulators and roms working together.

9. varnull

varnull Guest

Emulator and rom packs don't tend to exist for xbox due to the nature of the emulators, and the fact that people install them to different places on the xbox.. Not everybody has enough space for a full set of genesis and snes roms. As some are made with the XDK (not all..some) they are not that legal, which is why you rarely find them on legit emulator sites. .. you know that when you see people getting thrown off proper emulation sites for asking about emulation on consoles.

Use your FTP skills, and your google skills.. It isn't exactly rocket science getting the emulators working (just so long as you leave xpcsx and mame until you get the hang of it)

looky here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/443777

and here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/624553

which goes into a little more detail about specifics.. Otherwise this same question must have been asked 100,000 times before over the last 5 years. These emulators have a readme file, and a web page on xport full of info... oh sorry.. I'm forgetting... consoles..............

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2008
  10. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

hello:

do you guys know if their is a gamecube emulator for the Xbox ?? if so where could i find the emuator and roms. i searched the net and am finding difficulty in finding if one exists. the posts i read say no , but are written 3 years ago.

11. josh42069

josh42069 Member

no there are no emulators for nintendo gamecube because they are still manufacturing gamecubes there will be no xbox port emulators for gamecube, psp, ps2,or wii until much later down the line after become obsolete. if i can figure out how to program it i am working on a ps2 emulator for my own xbox

12. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

not sure if you knew this but their is a dolphin emulator for the xbox. but what i don't know is if this is compatible for the xbox. i found it at an xbox emulator site but it is not specific on whether it can be loaded to the xbox. does anyone know ??

13. MrHaze

MrHaze Member

Ya Know, I've been having this exact problem myself. I have the emulators, but no roms on my xbox. Ive tried FTPing, following every different tutorial on the net about how to set up the ip on both my pc and xbox, and it still wont connect, so I was wondering about how I can copy roms to the HD from a dvd. When I try using using the file manager on UnleashX to copy the files, it doesnt let me select a directory...

14. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

hello,
    i have an xbox and have 500gb hard drive. i used up the 6gb partition on the E:/ drive. i want to transfer them to the F:/ drive which has 128gb . how can i do this without causing problems ?

please help!!! :) have an ideas but still a noob at this stuff guys

thank for any help you can give.

15. varnull

varnull Guest

You have a choice.. you can use unleash or avalaunch on the xbox to actually move the files (have a look at the file manager.. the one in unleash works just like a FTP application) or you should be able to move them with a pc ftp app.

Once you have moved them you will need to edit your <dashboard>.ini file to point at the new location of the emulators, and maybe the emulator .ini file also to reflect the new rom path.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  16. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

hello,
    i am using flashfxp. i tried to move to the emulators folder i made in the f drive. it gave a "move failure" when i tried. do i change the ini file before i move it ??

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008