1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error 5 Help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Sumone157, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Sumone157

Sumone157 Regular member

Well, i just got a new locked har drive off of ebay. I installed it correctly and put it in my xbox. When i booted it said error 6. I saw waht it said opn ebox codes explaineed but i dont really get it. Can some one explain to me what to do to make it work. I have no mod chip installed on my xbox. Thanks in advance.

its on the wrong forums |
    sorry |
    ________________________|

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  2. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

3. Sumone157

Sumone157 Regular member

Ok, i just started downloading auto installer deluxe. Can you tell me more specific on how to retore it. Thanks

4. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

well first of all u need aid 2 be an iso...do u have any questions on how 2 extract rar. files??

5. Sumone157

Sumone157 Regular member

No. Does it come in an iso or do i have to make it into an iso. anyways continue on how to

6. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

7. Sumone157

Sumone157 Regular member

I allready know about RAR and ISO and such. But can your write a bassic guide on what to do. I would REALLY appreciate it.

8. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

Burn aid into a data dvd put it in ur xbox...and there options on what u wanna do aid also lets u choose dashboards...

9. Sumone157

Sumone157 Regular member

So it will go past error 5??? I doubt that.

10. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

ok here i looked this up up for u and what u need 2 do...

;)

5 - kernel - HDD not locked (The retail xbox bioses require the hd to be locked)

When you upgrade your hard disk drive for one that is larger, you most of the times use a new hard drive that you bought in the shop. Now, when you put this hdd in your xbox and you try to boot up with your chip off. It gives you error 5. Why you ask? Well i will try to explain it simple.

The original (also called "Retail") hard drive is locked by MS. Why did they lock the harddrive?

Well if it wasn't it wouldve been more than easy (in the start of xbox hacking)
    for hackers to change content on it. Thats why MS locks it. It is just a security measure.

This locking proces uses information thats on the motherboard. The "Lock" on a xbox hard drive contains information that is based on the harddrive itself and the motherboard it came with.

One thing that makes this clear: You can not change a retail harddrive with another one from an other not modded xbox. With every xbox there is only ONE i repeat ONE compatible harddisk drive. That is, if they are locked.

If you don't mod your xbox (tsop or modchips) you can not change harddrives. Not even from another xbox. However when your xbox IS modified you can change your harddisk for almost every other harddisk (thats UNLOCKED). This means that even when your xbox is modified, you can not just put another (retail) XBOX harddisk in your xbox. However some smart people made programs that can lock or unlock your xbox harddisk on the fly.

So when does the error occur? The only time this error should occur is when you boot up your xbox in original mode AND you have a harddisk in your xbox that is not yet locked. So now you ask what do i have to do to make your xbox work again?

Well the answer is pretty easy. Boot up your xbox with the chip on. Preferably with a slayer evo-x cd. Now you choose "Eeprom management." Than you choose: "Lock hdd." It takes one second. After its ready it should say something like "Done"
    When it is "Done" just turn off your xbox. Disable your chip and try to boot in original mode. Now there should be no more error 5.

11. xxteakxx

xxteakxx Regular member

very useful information PAN5Y. @ sumone, that's probably all you need to know.

P.S. Look at my sig. HA :x

12. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

WTF...lol

13. Sumone157

Sumone157 Regular member

lol, my bad, i have ERROR 6.... not 5. sorry

So i have error 6. Is it still do-able?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  14. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

ok...

6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD

If you understand the above, you should be able to understand what this means. It means you are trying to boot up the xbox with an harddisk that is locked in combination with ANOTHER motherboard than you are using it with right now.

What can i do about it, you ask? Well place the harddisk back in the xbox where it came from. After that, UNLOCK the harddisk with the same procedure i explained above (see error 5). Now when the harddisk is UNLOCKED, put it in the xbox which gave you the error. Now when you boot up with the chip ON it should not give you an error anymore.

However when you put the xbox on with the chip OFF your xbox will give you an error. (error 5) So to make sure you can boot original and boot with the chip ON. Next do the same as above: "Boot up your xbox with the chip on. Preferrably with a slayer evo-x cd. Now you choose "Eeprom management." Than you choose: "Lock hdd." It takes one second. After its ready it should say something like "Done"
    When it is ready just turn off your xbox. Disable your chip and try to boot original. Now there should be no more error.

15. xxteakxx

xxteakxx Regular member

Where's your source of info PAN5Y?

16. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

17. Sumone157

Sumone157 Regular member

problem is that i have no mod chip. its an original ms dash on it. So an original xbox with a f-ked of hard drive. ideas, sugestions?

18. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

19. xxteakxx

xxteakxx Regular member

20. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

oh that sux...