1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Error in DVD description" please help!

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by EliisaH, Aug 2, 2006.

1. EliisaH

EliisaH Member

Hi there,

I'm very new to DVD burning, but I'm learning quickly, and have found your site quite helpful. So here's the thing. I'm trying to burn some television program episodes onto DVD. I am using Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5 GB disks. My problem seems to be selecting the "DVD-9" option under disk type, rather than DVD. I can write one episode at a time if I just select DVD (4GB), but I have these dual-layer DVDs and would love to be able to put two episodes on each.

The type of data I'm trying to burn is merged .VOB files. I am trying to put two video files (two episodes) on the disk, each of which contains two merged .VOB files. Each video file is approximately 3.5 GB. So I can put the video files on disks one at a time if I select the DVD option, but it appears that I should be able to fit two video files on the same dual layer disk. And indeed the program seems to think so too until the end!

Of course I don't know if this is the problem or if there is something else going on, but whenever I select DVD-9 as my disk option and then try to put things on it (never more than the disk can hold), it lets me get all the way to the burning process. Then, when it looks like it's almost done (after usually about an hour and a half), it stops, with the following error:

"Unable to prepare data for recording: Error in DVD description"

The only thing I can think is that it's the specification of DVD-9 in the initial page, but aren't the disks I have DVD-9s? Is there anything I can do to fix this problem, or should I just forget it and go get some regular DVDs and be done with it?

I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

Here are some specs for my machine:
    Plextor PX-750A DVD burner
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.06 GHz
    3.07 GHz, 1 GB RAM
    Nero 7 Ultra Edition
    Nero Vision 4 (version 4.5.0.24)
    Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5 GB double layer

If there's any more information that would be helpful I'll be glad to provide it. I'm quite a novice at this but would love to be able to figure it out! Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

First off Nero 7 has buggy version..... here is the stable version:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_nero_7_premium/?845

if you don't have this version then you should
    1 save your serial #
    2 uninstall using Nero cleaning tools: http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero7_CleanTool.html
    3 do a registry clean up
    4 defrag hard drive
    5 reboot
    6 reinstall the stable verion 7.0.8.2

you should then be able to use Nero Recode to ad your espisodes to the DL disk:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/316083

notice the bottom right hand corner..... change from DVD5 to DVD9! that's it! follow guide!

3. EliisaH

EliisaH Member

Thank you for replying! I wanted to ask a couple questions before reinstalling Nero, though. I just downloaded Nero three days ago, so I would think I have the most recent version?

The version I have is 7.01.4028 (for the whole thing)
    My Nero Burning ROM is version 7.2.3.2

Do I still need to reinstall everything to get 7.0.8.2? Also, is the link above (the one to get version 7.0.8.2) to get all of Nero 7 Ultra or just the Burning ROM? If the latter, how do I get the rest of the applications after I've uninstalled everything with the Clean tool?

Here are all my other versions in Nero that I found out using Nero InfoTool:
    Description : Nero Burning ROM
    Version : 7, 2, 3, 2
    Company : Nero AG
    Version Check : Ok

Description : Nero BurnRights Control Panel
    Version : 2, 0, 0, 6

Description : Nero CD - DVD Speed
    Version : 4, 5, 1, 3

Description : Nero DriveSpeed
    Version : 3, 0, 6, 0

Description : Cover Designer
    Version : 2, 4, 10, 0

Description : Nero BackItUp Application
    Version : 2, 2, 7, 0

Description : Nero Home
    Version : 1, 2, 0, 13

Description : Nero ImageDrive
    Version : 3.0.0.8

Description : Nero MediaHome
    Version : 1, 4, 0, 15

Description : Nero PhotoSnap image editor
    Version : 1, 2, 0, 18

Description : Nero Recode 2
    Version : 2, 3, 0, 9

Description : Nero ShowTime
    Version : 3, 0, 1, 3

Description : Nero StartSmart
    Version : 3, 2, 2, 0

Description
    Version : 3, 3, 3, 0

Description : Nero Library
    Version : 7, 2, 3, 2

Description : Nero Vision
    Version : 4,5,0,24

Description : Nero SoundTrax
    Version : 2, 3, 3, 0

Description : Nero Scout
    Version : 1, 2, 0, 13

Description : Nero Photosnap Image Viewer
    Version : 1, 2, 0, 18

Also, the directions for using Recode 2 look very informative, but why do I have to use that? Will Nero Vision really not work? I have the problem (maybe it's a problem? I don't know!) that my converting software (Cucusoft AVI/MPEG to DVD/VCD/SVCD/MPEG Converter (Pro Version) v7.07) converts my files to .VOB files, which I guess is the DVD format?

Well, it seems like those files can't be over .99GB, because it always separates the one episode into two .VOB files and then I have to choose the merge .VOB option when Nero Vision pops it up.

For example, a recent episode I converted from .avi with the Cucusoft program has two files called "DVD movie:"
    VTS_01_1.VOB (1,048,494 KB)
    VTS_01_2.VOB (389,520 KB)
    and then some other files I'm not sure what they are for:
    VIDEO_TS.BUP and VTS_01_0.BUP (both labeled "Backup File of the IFO and each 6 KB)
    VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_01_0.IFO (both labeled DVD Movie Info and each 34 KB)

Now I'm such a noob I don't have any clue what any of those are or mean, but I do know that when I merge the two .VOBs like Nero Vision prompts me to it seems to put the whole episode back together, rather than having most of it one one file and the last little bit on another.

I'm sorry for being so clueless...I think I may be in over my head here. I thought I could learn this by trial and error and finding instructions on the internet without any real knowledge about video files or mechanics or anything. It all seems much more complicated than I thought, though, and I'm afraid I won't be able to figure it out. :(

Is my conversion software doing something wrong splitting up the .VOB files or are they always under 1 GB? Is that what's causing the problem (merging the two .VOBs and using Nero Vision)? Or is it really the DVD/DVD-9 issue? Gah. Again, any help you could give me would be appreciated, but I'd understand if you just told me I was in over my head and I should just keep the files on my computer to watch. ;)

Thanks again!

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

first off...... Nero 7 is buggy....follow all the directions I gave you above....... after the reinstall and reboot..... you will have all the Nero programs in the suite! this is the stable version that works!

Nero Recode is for adding vts titles to your dvd! Nero Vission will convert Avi files or other format files to DVD Compliant files for recording to disk. What you want to do it merge you VOB files to one disk (these are already DVD compliant files)! So use Recode .... follow the guide. Just do it ..... you'll be glad you did!

5. EliisaH

EliisaH Member

Ahh cool! Thanks so much! I'll try that and let you know how it turns out! :D

6. EliisaH

EliisaH Member

Worked like a charm! I guess it was just the other buggy version causing the problem! Having no problems with recode or vision now! :D

Thank you so much!