1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurovox EX5000 PVR Setup Problems

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by bertiered, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarumane

sarumane Member

Hi

I am new to this too. Just update with the 1.1a software. I think the advice is to back up your channel list (CDF file) encase you have any problems then update. It is really easy. My laptop has RS232 port so just needed null modem lead without adaptor. Process was effortless and only a few mins.

saru

2. sarumane

sarumane Member

3. foxy27

foxy27 Member

Cheers ill give it a roll tonight if i can get my hands on a laptop!!

4. sarumane

sarumane Member

Hi All

Thanks for cdf, it helped by showing how few channels I had! Only cartoon network is good, with some discovery's and e4 being bearable. The rest are either so broken or say bad signal that they are unwatchable. Signal quality and level is never lower than 75% and mostly 80 or above on all channels..

Why is it never straight forward....

Can anyone advise on next step? I have a big splitter in the Nt white box on the wall, the main lead carries quite a current, I noticed when removing it for scanning directly from it as suggested in earlier post from scouser (scan result was till poor as was picture). I have also scanned from NtPVR cable with no luck as well the cable in the room (obviously).

From the entry to the house there is a splitter inside the box which goes a cable to EuroPVR in bedroom and a cable to a smaller splitter for NtPVR and BB in living room. Nt entry box is in living room.

Cabling is standard stuff from Nt white with their crimped adaptors at the ends and the splitters inside and out were supplied by them on install. I don't have any empty end of lines as each cable goes somewhere.

Although a noob I can follow instruction and am happy to tinker with things. What do I do and buy to get it to work? Is there a process of elimination to get it working? Will it be expensive?

Regards

saru

5. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

The CDF I gave you is for your area and provider. So as you can see its a cable issue. If you dont want to go to all the bother of messing about with the connections. If you have a subbed box, call VM and tell them you are having problems with your cable. Obviously remove the EV first.

As said earlier in the thread, I can gaurantee its a cable/splitter/isolator problem.

6. Topdj

Topdj Member

Saru
    Try a factory reset in the pvr, then do a powwer scan,this will delete all your stored channels and hopefully find all the ones available.
    Make sure you dont have a amplifier connected
    as this can cause probs. If its not the right type!
    I had a similar prob with my father in laws box which i sorted today.

Mind you i did go to the cc box up the road and moved his line up the main feed in the st. Amazing what you can get away with in a high vis jacket lol.
    Anyway hes a happy bunny now its all working!
    Failing all else try the pvr at someone elses house just to be sure to be sure!
    It it works somewhere else then im afraid it is as Sc0user says a line or connection fault. Prob another bodged job by a virgiln fitter.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  7. foxy27

foxy27 Member

Right im totally lost now Ive brought the box into work plugged into rs232 port and then what nothing happens!? Then I also used the USB adapter and then it comes up with new device found but then doesnt come up anywhere! how am i suppose to update it with the new software.

Please help!!!

8. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Its a question of wheter you have the correct null modem cable or not. Have a look here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/674371 its the guide for the Max models, but it is similar in everyway. The only difference is you use 1.1a firmware for the PVR.

Please read through the link as all your answers are there, i.e. cables, comm port settings, etc.

9. sarumane

sarumane Member

I have tried factory reset, fast scan and also reset and powerscan as been advised of both. Didn't help anything!

Think I will phone the engineers out. What is a subbed box? And why should I say I have called in order to get them to remedy the situation?

Regards

saru

10. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

If you have a box supplied by VM, just tell them you are having picture problems with it. Obviously as said remove the EV.

11. sarumane

sarumane Member

Ok, will try this. However, will they not notice that the picture is perfect on every channel when they come out?

Regards

saru

12. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Its not picture quality they test, its signal quality. If they say the signal is fine then we can go from there. All you need to tell them is its an intermittent problem.

13. jemmac

jemmac Member

I have a eurovox 5000 pvr. My dad bought "the box" just b4 I got mine. I paid a bit more then him, read a few threads that said it was more stable so thought it was worth it. The Harddrive wont work (30gb travelstar) the pause wont work & it only carries a mono audio to my TV. I'm not too concerned as I only got it for sports channels but as my dads pause & audio work perfect I reckon I should have went for the cheaper box. Anyone else find that the eurovox 5000 pvr is a piece of cxxx.
    Hope this review helps someone.
    Jimmy.

14. sweendogg

sweendogg Member

I'm having the same problems .. I bought the eurovox5000 with the 120gb hard drive pre built .. after taking the firmware update it doesn't record .. you can use the timeshift ok but using the timer etc just doesn't work. I'm getting frustrated with the box as well. Is there any firmware upgrades to fix this problem or is there something to try to get the hard drive working correctly?

15. Topdj

Topdj Member

I have 3 ex5000pvr's and all three work great!
    Why have you got a small 30gb hdd ?( Perhaps you want to record adverts)
    You really should have a 120gb and the right make one for the machine too. Mines is a Seagate hdd.
    Seems you may have problems that are not entirely the machines fault and now you slate it!
    If the hdd wont work or its the wrong type then obviously the pause wont function. As for the audio perhaps its the scart lead.Try a different lead or try plugging your dads into yours and vice versa to see what happens.

Perhaps someone else can comment if your 30gb travelstar is suitable!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  16. jemmac

jemmac Member

30gb was out of a laptop, didn't want to buy one (just as well) as I read other people where having problems. As for scarts, I have a sack full of them, also tried other audio input/output methods. As for trying my dads on mine, did it, and as I stated, works perfect (even with same scart) so, after six weeks, and many, many methods, I think I'm entitled to call it a piece of ............... By the way my dads pauses & hasn't got a hd capabilty. But still I'm open to suggestions. It is possible that mine fell in transit, but I don't think so.
    Tanx,
    jimmy.

17. jemmac

jemmac Member

Reply to top dj. I have to give you thanks. You got me thinking about scarts and stuff so I investigated further. I never mentioned in previous posts that my power input socket was very loose & also the screws on the pc input had fallen off, also there is a rattle inside the box. So against my better judgement I opened her up & I'm pretty sure the scart output on the box is broken. Dont know what it should look like but it looks like somethings broken off. Hence the audio problem. Looks like it may have fallen in transit after all. Going to borrow a soldering iron & have a crack at it. So, albeit indirectly you helped me find the problem, not solved, but found. So its the couriers fault not eurovox.
    All the best,
    Jimmy.

18. Topdj

Topdj Member

19. sarumane

sarumane Member

Hi All

Has taken this long to get time off work to let VM in the house. They could find no problem. Signal strength and quality is never below 80% and mostly 85% and upwards. Still no decent picture....

Any advice?

Regards

saru

20. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

It still looks like an internal cabling problem to me or worse case a faulty box. You signal level/quality shouldn't fluctuate that much hence why I am saying its a cable issue. Although it could be down to a faulty tuner also, hard to say without been there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.