1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eurovox max v 2008 black... clone???

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by chrisdee, Feb 19, 2008.

1. chrisdee

chrisdee Member

new into all this eurovox stuff, bought a box and been reading about all these "clones" etc

attached is a pic of the inside.. anyone know if it looks like a clone??? also what are the downsides , can i not update the F/W etc when new ones get released???

cheers.

[​IMG]

2. chrisdee

chrisdee Member

anyone???????????

just got it working anyway and picked up 320 channels so not bothered if its a clone or not!

3. BenN74

BenN74 Member

Hi,
    Yes I think it is a clone, looks exactly the same as mine actually.
    See this thread.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/52/506556

Did you keep the box or try to return it?
    Is it still working ok?
    I think the only difference is that you cannot update with new firmware, but I do not actually think it will need updating anytime soon, do you?
    I bet we possibly got these from the same place, I may try return mine, wish I'd not just gone for the cheapest one now and researched a little more.
    Or do you think it really matters?
    Thanks!
    PS I think maybe the reason nobody relied before is that because of the picure it has made the reply button disappear off the screen, I had to zoom out massively to get to it and could no longer see the writting I'd had to zoom so far.
    Let me know what you did/think about this box/clone.
    Thanks.

4. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

It looks like a clone to me too , you can go here and see some pics

Are you sure it is the Eurov0x Max V 2008 ?

Press Menu > Config > System Info and tell us what it says please and we tell you if you can update the firmware

5. BenN74

BenN74 Member

Hi,
    My system info reads;

Model - DvB - XC V TDA
    S/W Ver - 1.0 STC 4 Oct 29 2007
    H/W Ver - 2.0 T K5
    Bootstrap - V001
    S/W Build - Kuro

I think that's the latest one isn't it, I have the signal boost option and widescreen.
    I thought you couldn't update firmware on a clone full stop?
    Or does it depend on whether the firmware has a clone killer in it.
    I thought Kuro 2 had this tho so I don't know how they're flashing it to clones. Does this mean I would be able to update.
    I'm not sure I'd want to risk it just in case it bricked my box tho.
    How frequent are these firmware updates needed? Will my box stop working then if I don't update?
    How long do you think I have?
    Thanks, I also have another unrelated question if you can advise, I took all night the other day sorting the channels manually, if I do an auto scan to see if it picks up any others, will I lose the order and have to start again,or are any new ones just added to the bottom and the order I have put them in kept?
    Thanks in advance for your advice Celtic!

6. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Dont quote me on this , but I think the KURO is safe on all Max V 2008 b0xes , If its not giving you any problems then no need for you to update it, basically if newer firmware versions are released it will be for extra options e.g. Widescreen etc.

If you do an Auto Scan your channel order will still be ok , its only if you clear channels and data you have to start from scratch, and yes new channels found will appear at the end of your channel listing.

You could also create a cdf (Channel Data File) to your PC and if you have to reset your b0x for any reason , you can then load your channel order back onto your b0x and save you re-ordering them :)

7. BenN74

BenN74 Member

Ah right, brilliant, Tanks Celtic.

My PC only has USB inputs though, do these null modem R232 to USB cables work OK. I'm running Vista Home Premium.

Thanks for your help mate.

8. chrisdee

chrisdee Member

sold mine in the end mate

bought a genuine max v 2008 in white box

9. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

The NULL MODEM CABLE and the USB Adapters do have some complications in regards to COM port set-up etc , but they are easily solved :)

The RS232 cable will NOT work to update your b0x as it has straight config as you need the NULL MODEM CABLE which has cross-over config
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L71BT&DOY=2m6

The most common issue when installing the USB adapter and driver is selecting the correct port for your software to recognize.

You must make sure your particular software is looking on the correct port for it to transfer any data.

To see which port your USB adapter is connected to, connect your USB adapter and follow the following instructions:

1. Go to the Start Menu
    2. Right click on "My Computer"
    3. Select "Properties"
    4. Click on the "Hardware" tab
    5. Click on "Device Manager"
    6. Click the + sign next to "Ports (COM & LPT)"
    7. One of the listed ports should indicate which port your USB adapter is connected to (e.g. COM1, COM2, COM3, etc.)
    8. Go back to your software program that you use to transfer data and make sure it is looking at the correct port.
    9. You should be able to transfer data once the correct port is selected

If you need drivers go here
    http://www.gilsson.com/usb_drivers_download.htm