1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Cut Pro / Quicktime import/export for Wintel

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by DrRdr, Jul 12, 2006.

1. DrRdr

DrRdr Member

I am busy with a problem of interconnection of custom video server (ingest and playout) with a video editing stations on Apple Mac with greatly appreciated by our customers video editing software Final Cut Pro.

The video server works with media files in AVI (Microsoft AVI) file format only. So i need an ability to write AVIs with Final Cut Pro for Wintel platform and read/import AVIs with the same format.

I read about Final Cut Pro as 'Quicktime-based' application and see that the only way to export something is using 'quicktime conversion'. But in the quicktime conversion options i found very limited number of supported compression options for AVI format (much less, than it have for MOV format).

Current problems:

1. Unability to read/write AVIs with common enough 'uncompressed' format with 4:2:2 YUV sampling. I do not have 4:2:2 option in supported AVI compression in quicktime conversion and Mac system (neither quicktime player nor FCP application) can not decode 4:2:2 video data from wintel-generated AVI. Quicktime player software shows a message about 'no codec - lets try to look internet' but can not found it on apple.com site too.

2. Unability to read/write AVIs with some adjustable inter-frame compression like M-JPEG or MPEG2 I-frames only with data rate about 5..50 Mbit/s.

The only available and compatible format that i found is RGB24 uncompressed with the hugest filesize possible - not acceptable.

I make an update of quicktime from 'basic/free' to 'Pro' version but it does not change anything in AVI compressors list of quicktime conversion application.

May be anyone knows how to add support for 4:2:2 microsoft AVI format and some more lossy codecs to quicktime conversion application on Mac ?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  2. Londor

Londor Guest

What is a Microsoft AVI?